Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Legendary Auctions - Willie Mays Jersey

Just wondering what you guys think...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...Pants-(2-Items)

Banned

Re: Legendary Auctions - Willie Mays Jersey

Based purely on the photos, the jersey looks good. Obviously, though, a piece of that magnitude requires hands-on inspection to be sure. The pants are team-issued, but the lack of a waistband strip tag and the presence of a handwritten MAYS 24 would give me pause on them.

Dave Miedema

This jersey was part of a lot that was purchased by myself and two other collectors in the mid-1970's, maybe 1974 or so. The purchase was directly from the Padres visiting clubhouse boy who was in that position from 1969 (Padres first year) to about 1973. . Like most batboys and clubhouse boys of the era, he had access to alot and was given alot as there was really no 'game-used' hobby to speak of and the value to players during that era was minimal. Anyway, the kid, Bill Griswold, was getting married and sold his entire (huge) collection to the three of us. Besides the Mays that is currently listed, other jerseys included 1969 Ernie Banks, 1969 Duke Snider (Padres hitting coach) and a few others. Other things I remember particularly well were a signed GU Clemente bat, and a perfectly signed GU baseball that Clemente had used to get a hit in San Diego as he climbed toward 3000. There were tons of autographs, cards, hats, bats, and about anything else you can think of.

Anyway, the Mays items have been in the hands of the original purchaser since the buy was made. If I remember correctly, the stain on the front apparently was from the spill of a bottle of shoe polish, but I am not 100% on that.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Knocked down at $ 13,145 (includes Buyer's Premium.)

Mike jackitout7@aol.com