Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Willie Mays $695 for an auto on jersey?!?

The November Chicago Suntimes Show - Willie Mays $695 for an autograph on a jersey. Seems extremely high... is this the norm for what he charges?

Re: Willie Mays $695 for an auto on jersey?!?

Yup, that's common for him now.

Willie is the last of that generation's top tier still living. Mantle, Dimaggio, Duke, Stan, all gone (I know I'm missing a few)

I have an 8x10 from Bonds company signed by Mays of "The Catch" which I gave my dad for one Fathers Day and it cost me like $100. It's framed and looks pretty classy next to my first generation M&N rookie Willie Mays NY Giants jersey. I was saddened to learn it's partner, a Mantle photo and matching rookie M&N jersey was a fake thanks to the selflessness of collector Sammy on this board. He was right about the DiMaggio I saw signed in person and Has been quite helpful in the past.

My advice would be to seek his advice on obtaining this item for much less through other channels.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Yup, that's common for him now.

Willie is the last of that generation's top tier still living. Mantle, Dimaggio, Duke, Stan, all gone (I know I'm missing a few)
    I didn't realize Stan Lopata had passed. RIP

Stan the Man is still among the breathing. He's not in great health, but he's doing better than Teddy, Mickey and the Duke. And I think you have to include Mr. Aaron in the top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Stan the Man is still among the breathing. He's not in great health, but he's doing better than Teddy, Mickey and the Duke. And I think you have to include Mr. Aaron in the top tier.
    In the very top.

It's just my opinion, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, there's top tier as a player, and then there's top tier as someone who treats fans fairly and generously, and represents the sport well in his interactions with them. Mays is certainly the former, but I've heard enough horror stories about how he treats his fans - even paying fans, at signings - to seriously question whether he can be considered the latter.

For years I've listened to people trying to justify players' rudeness, players' greed, and players' huge egos by pointing out how much money other people make off of their images and signatures and memorabilia, and I don't buy it. You can't not sign, unless you're paid ridiculous sums to do so, making your autograph so scarce that its value soars, and then justify charging $700 for a signature because "somebody else is going to turn around and sell it for more". It's a ridiculous, circular argument.

I was thinking Teddy Ballgame when I typed Stan the Man. Mea Culpa.

Mays taught his godson exactly how worthless fans are and how to treat them as poorly as possible. I was glad to get the photo signed without meeting him as I didn't want to ruin my fathers youthful memories. Let him remember Mays for his ability rather than his personality.

And not to steer the thread totally off base and offend people but I don't think Aaron is a top tier player like Mick, Duke or Ted.

A) I am a Braves fan.
    B) He is the HR champ in my opinion.
    C) I love him as a person and respect him as a player

BUT

He is a stat compiler, a good but not amazing player and was lucky enough to be healthy and consistently good but not great for more years than nearly any player, ever. Much like guys with 20 plus seasons hitting .260 with 250 hrs and 1500 rbi's don't belong in the HOF just because their genetic luck and work outs got them to 3000 hits. Never being the best player (or even consistent top 3) in your league let alone the sport at your position seems to be overlooked as long as you have the magic number of hits. Aaron got in the Hall because of one number which means he was good but certainly not (in my opinion) a Ted Williams or a Willie Mays. Frankly, I can rattle off 50 outfielders in MLB history who I would pick in their prime before Hank.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I think I'll pass on the Mays jersey... although my 500 hr bat needs a Mays autograph... I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's some-what a nice guy!!

Mays taught his godson exactly how worthless fans are and how to treat them as poorly as possible.
    From what I've read, the whole "godson" thing is pretty much overblown, Bonds being something like six years old before Mays ever saw him or became his "godfather". At any rate, from what I've also read, Bobby Bonds certainly did his share in poisoning his son's mind in any number of ways.

BUT

He is a stat compiler, a good but not amazing player and was lucky enough to be healthy and consistently good but not great for more years than nearly any player, ever. Much like guys with 20 plus seasons hitting .260 with 250 hrs and 1500 rbi's don't belong in the HOF just because their genetic luck and work outs got them to 3000 hits. Never being the best player (or even consistent top 3) in your league let alone the sport at your position seems to be overlooked as long as you have the magic number of hits. Aaron got in the Hall because of one number which means he was good but certainly not (in my opinion) a Ted Williams or a Willie Mays. Frankly, I can rattle off 50 outfielders in MLB history who I would pick in their prime before Hank.
    Aaron has a lifetime batting average of .305 for 23 seasons. Hit over .300 14 seasons. Hit .292, .298 and .287 in three other seasons. Hit over 30 or more HR's in 15 seasons. 40 or HR's in 8 seasons!

Went 20 for 55 .364 batting avg. in the two World Series he played in!!!

What hurt Hank was playing on a crappy team most of his career.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...