Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Jesus Christo - Hunter Pence Cleats - $1750 on eBay!

While I know the proceeds are going to charity, I am shocked by the price of these Hunter Pence spikes on eBay. Obviously, Hunter is a fan favorite and is extremely popular in both Houston and Philadelphia. However, Pence only has two all-star appearances and has never eclipsed 100 RBI, 25 HR, or 20 steals. Even if Hunter went on a tear for the rest of his career, he would hardly be a HOFer. Not to tear down anyone who is considering a bid, but I don't see these shoes being worth any more than $300 to $350. Yes - The provenance is great, and the cleats can be photomatched. However, I still cannot fathom such a price for spikes of Hunter Pence, who is basically a semi-star.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Re: Jesus Christo - Hunter Pence Cleats - $1750 on eBay!

They are worth what someone is willing to give for them.

If someone wants to spend that kind of money on them then I don't care.

Though I hate the Phillies, and could care less about Pence, I really want these cleats! It's something with a cool story to go with it. Whatever the winning bidder pays, they should be very happy with them

I put a bid on them an hour after they were posted for $100 and it was already surpassed that. With 6+ days left I figured either a big-time collector or a store/company was going to end up with them. Either ways good money going to his foundation.
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

Banned

I work with a few charitable groups here in Chicago, and for some reason I see on this forum people always comment when something goes for above market when it is for a charity.

People often pay a premium for an item with the money going to a charity. First they do this because they can afford to give the money to a good cause and second, they do get a tax write off on the amount they pay above the value of the item.

So, instead of giving $2000.00 to a foundation, they pay $2000.00 for a $200.00 pair of shoes and they get the shoes to enjoy and still a $1800.00 tax write off. It is normal in our society for this to happen.

Also, for some reason I see the same post over and over again telling us how an item for charity is being sold over market. I am pretty sure whoever is buying a pair of Hunter Pence cleats they are not worried about what the game used memorabilia community feels an item is worth, but what they are offering to the charity.

No where in the auction does it state a charity / foundation. The proceeds I assume are going to help with the cost of his baseball camp / school..

Tax write-off? I think we have discussed this once before. The tax write-off is only for the fair market value of the item -- thanks to the IRS. So a $200 pair of cleats cannot be written-off as a $2000 pair of cleats. The buyer would be out stealing second.

That's why I don't even worry about it when I buy an autograph or an item and I know the money is going to charity. I get something I want, and I know my money is going to a good cause. That's enough for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaDave View Post
    Tax write-off? I think we have discussed this once before. The tax write-off is only for the fair market value of the item -- thanks to the IRS. So a $200 pair of cleats cannot be written-off as a $2000 pair of cleats. The buyer would be out stealing second.
    No, sorry, you are misunderstood.

If you buy a pair of cleats valued at $200.00 by the charity and you pay $2000.00, you get to write off the $1800.00 extra you paid.

You are incorrect with your assessment. The IRS lets you write off anything over the value of the item you paid as a donation. Please do not confuse the discussion as this is fact.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texstros View Post
    No where in the auction does it state a charity / foundation. The proceeds I assume are going to help with the cost of his baseball camp / school..
    From the auction listing:

"[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']By Hunter’s Request, proceeds acquired from this item will go towards improvements at the Hunter Pence Baseball Academy in Houston, Texas. www.hunterpencebaseball.com"[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Looks like a charitable donation to me.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Then again, looking at the web site this place charges for use. Kind of misleading listing. Shoes at $2025 right now![/FONT]