Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Banned

Re: What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

Koop would be proud, Squeeks would be aroused?

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    Not the 25$ Preston paid for his Albert Haynesworth but still a couple great deals for me!
    That's $4.49 buddy! lol...I wish they had had 4 more at that price to get me to $25.00!

I have probably posted this story in the past, but I will share again since this is an appropriate topic.

In 1976, the WHA Toronto Toros moved to my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, and were renamed the Bulls. The team's most well-known player was Frank Mahovlich who was winding down his Hall-of-Fame career as a member of the Bulls. Even though most of us had never seen an ice hockey game in person (most of us had never seen much ice except in a glass of tea), we all knew who the "Big M" was.

For those of you who collect hockey, you probably know that the Bulls kept the Toros logo, but soon switched from the traditional durene jerseys to mesh jerseys that were quite similar to mesh football jerseys of that era. The logo and stripes were screend-on much like football jerseys, and only the lettering on the nameplates was sewn-on.

Not long after the jersey switch, the team put the durene jerseys up for sale at the concession booths at the games. Luckily for me, I happened to be at the game when they first went on sale. By then, Mark Napier had become my favorite player, so I was hoping to find his jersey. There were 3 or 4 concession booths at the Civic Center, so I methodically went to each one to see if I could find a Napier.

I got to the final booth and there was still no Napier. However, to my surprise, there was a beautiful blue durene jersey of Mahovlich hanging on the wall. I asked the vendor the price of the jersey and he said, "Well, we're selling these things for $25, but this one is Frank Mahovlich, so it's going to cost more." I asked how much, and he replied, "Thirty-five dollars." A twenty, a ten, and a five were in the vendor's hands in record time!

The jersey was in my collection for about a year, but being a World Football League jersey collector, I traded the Mahovlich and a couple of Bulls jerseys with plates removed for a pile of WFL jerseys and cash. The trade was a great deal for me at the time, but in hindsight, not so good. As for the guy who made the trade for the Mahovlich, he might well say that this was the best deal he ever made!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

I won't divulge the price I paid so as not to keep reminding the fellow forum member who alerted me to this item, but.........

I got a 2005 Brian Urlacher game worn orange alternate jersey from an ebay seller who turned out to be a former Bears intern for WELL below market value. The seller also put me in touch with another intern who had some very nice items as well.

Brand spankin new to the board.

The best game used deal I ever got was a Nick Swisher Game Used wrist band for .99 cents.

Also got a couple pairs of Cano game used batting gloves for 59 bucks a pair. both gloved signed with 2009 wsc season inscriptions also. Not bad compared to what a single one goes for these day's

Look forward to being a member here.

You guys have some really great items.

Figured this was worth reviving the thread. Picked this up for $6.99 at Goodwill after work today; it's no five buck Haynesworth, but fits perfect in my collection.

Signed, game-used (infield dirt stains on numeral - flash washes those out) 2008-tagged Portland Beavers home alternate jersey. Matched up the signature and the number to Shawn Wooten, who played a few short stints in the major leagues before ending his career with the Beavers. Probably the best seven bucks I've spent in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNationPDX View Post
    Figured this was worth reviving the thread. Picked this up for $6.99 at Goodwill after work today; it's no five buck Haynesworth, but fits perfect in my collection.

Signed, game-used (infield dirt stains on numeral - flash washes those out) 2008-tagged Portland Beavers home alternate jersey. Matched up the signature and the number to Shawn Wooten, who played a few short stints in the major leagues before ending his career with the Beavers. Probably the best seven bucks I've spent in a while.

Now that's a heck of a catch. Almost makes you wonder who has an autographed, game-used jersey, and just throws it in the bag to give to Goodwill.

Best deal I ever got was at a flea market and was a 1973 Twins gamer or Frank Quilici. Was a whopping 3 dollars!

I bought a 1994 Mike Timlin Road grey Blue Jays jersey autographed off ebay for 19.99. Horribly dark pictures and a bad description was the reason why I think it went so low. The jersey was simply beautiful when i got it in the mail, I think it was a set 2 and showed lots of use. I ended up selling the jersey for 250.00 to a fellow in japan.
    Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
    250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

Years ago, I bought a Nolan Ryan rookie at a show for $12. Dealer tried suing me saying he wanted $1200 and it was marked wrong. Ended up selling it and giving the proceeds to charity.