What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BurlesonBlue
    • Aug 2011

What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

Hey guys, new poster and long-time lurker here. I've always been captivated by the idea of collecting game used memorabilia, but, being a high school (now starting college) student, lord knows I couldn't really afford the hobby. But now, with getting some work, I've been able to put away a bit of money for an occasional purchase. Even then, I can't bring myself to go over $30. It limits my options, but hasn't stopped me from finding some really good items. But, I want more hope that the good deals are out there for those who are patient! Let this be a thread where you can share your best deal or cheap find.

I'll kick things off. In the Centurylink Field Team Store a few weeks ago, there was a bucket full of old locker room name plates, marked down to $5 each. Now, most of them were just camp fodder players of no note. But, I did find buried in there tags of Samie Parker and Steve McKinney. Turns out the longtime NFL vets never got in games with the Hawks after signing, but I think that just makes them more unique pieces.

• spartakid
    • Oct 2008

Re: What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

A's Fanfest has been very good to me over the past few years. I've been able to pick up Suzuki and Bailey jerseys for far below market value, but I think most noteworthy would be the helmets they sold a few years back for $5 apiece and last year for $20. Needless to say I picked up a good number of those! Deals are certainly out there, just have to know where to look and as you said, be patient.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• kylehess10
      • Feb 2006

I've gotten tons of deals over the years, but I think my cheapest and best deal was a Brian McCann game worn hat that I bought directly from the Braves for $5. It's the only McCann hat I've ever seen.
      kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
      http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• ifirocked
        • Dec 2007

I just picked up the Lineup card from the Mets last win at Shea for $85. It came form the Marlins dugout.

Comment

• millerbr
          • Jul 2008

I just bought a KU football jersey for $13 while they were selling the same year style on their website that went for $180. All because the seller mislabeled the title on ebay.

Comment

• Shipp_96
            • Feb 2011

While living in Annapolis, I would go to the Naval Academies annual (then) Sale of the Century, and got the older style game worn screened jerseys for $5 a piece!

But besides that I got actual functional items for cheap, like a Patroit League Champions book bag for $3, NAVY worn football player jacket for $15.

There were no bad prices there, game worn cleats were $20 a pair (kick myself still for not getting those) and most game worn football jerseys for $75 a piece.

Comment

• Skizzick
              • Mar 2011

Best deal I got was just a month ago at the 76ers Beach Bash. They sell off all their surplus game-issue and practice gear. Some of it used by the players. I picked up a Thaddeus Young used practice jersey for $10, and a pair of practice shorts that were worn by Allen Iverson for $15! Not to mention a bunch of game-issue jersey blanks for $10 a piece, which I sold for about ten times that.

Comment

• Preston
                • Mar 2010

Best deal I've found was getting an Albert Haynesworth 2008 Titans game worn jersey w/ the 10th anniversary patch for $4.49 at a local Goodwill. (Was $4.99 but do I still have my college ID? Why yes!)

Comment

• Dolphins23
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Preston
                  Best deal I've found was getting an Albert Haynesworth 2008 Titans game worn jersey w/ the 10th anniversary patch for $4.49 at a local Goodwill. (Was $4.99 but do I still have my college ID? Why yes!)
                  Pictures now please!

Comment

• masp3392
                    • Jun 2011

no F'n way! are you serious?

i'll 2nd dolphins request for pics

Comment

• cjw
                      • Oct 2006

Max McGee 1960's Packers home green, durene jjersey at a vintage clothing store last month - for $24!

WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• Preston
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dolphins23
                        Pictures now please!
                        Here ya go!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Preston
                          • Mar 2010

Here ya go!
                          Ironically they had it (you can barely see the yellow price tag on the jersey - yes it's still attached) listed as a small because they thought the "S" on the neck tag meant small. Since the thing is about 5 feet tall and is for a 6 foot 6, 330 lb guy, I would think small would be a little incorrect

Comment

• Dolphins23
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2011

haha thats a cool story piece preston. Never sell that bad boy! Love that patch too. Was always a fan of the titans anny patch. And a superstar player like that too! What a find my friend

Comment

• Preston
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dolphins23
                              haha thats a cool story piece preston. Never sell that bad boy! Love that patch too. Was always a fan of the titans anny patch. And a superstar player like that too! What a find my friend
                              Definitely never selling it or removing the tag...as one who collects Titans gamers, this is one of the cool ones - I've picked up a few with the 10th anny patches but it's always cool to pick up stars!

Comment

Working...