Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Super Bowl IV J5V Football - Image Needed

In Super Bowl IV, the Chiefs used a Spalding AFL J5V football while the Vikings used a Wilson "DUKE" football. This was the last time AFL and NFL team's used their own style of footballs in a game. In 1970, with the merger completed, all of the professional teams used a NFL block letter Wilson football.

My question is, does any member have a image from SB IV showing the Chiefs using a Spalding J5-V with PETE ROZELLE as Commissioner? If so, could the image be posted or sent to me at my personal email address?

I am trying to find-out if a Milt Woodward or Pete Rozelle football was used by the Chiefs.

Thanks,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Banned

Re: Super Bowl IV J5V Football - Image Needed

Not to be off topic, but what does the DUKE sig on ball stand for? And do all game balls have the home teams name inscripted on them? I don't know anything about game balls and would love to start plucking some out of the air for a good price. I really like the breast cancer ball on JO auctions right now.

P.S Thats awsome that you are getting a SB IV ball. Thats a classic right there!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins23 View Post
    Not to be off topic, but what does the DUKE sig on ball stand for? And do all game balls have the home teams name inscripted on them? I don't know anything about game balls and would love to start plucking some out of the air for a good price. I really like the breast cancer ball on JO auctions right now.

P.S Thats awsome that you are getting a SB IV ball. Thats a classic right there!
    The below link show help you out.

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/football...5DEF6960BF1AB9

Just got conformation today that the Chiefs did in fact use Spalding J5-V footballs with Pete Rozelle on them in SB IV. The writings on the ball are very, very faint but on the panel shown (enhanced), it looks like Otis Taylor caught a pass from Len Dawson for ????? yards. The other panel is just too faint to read.

I will probably send the ball away to PSA to have them enhance the writing and photograph the panels.

Jim

flaaia@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi.....If you watch the NFL Films' Super Bowl IV film (the one with Hank Stram wired), there is a close-up of a Spalding J5-V with Rozelle it while the officials are measuring a first down. It is pretty cool....I have no photos.....just gotta watch the film....hope it helps. Tony

Great SB IV ball, by the way!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing the PSA info on it.....

Hey...I messed with the photo you posted.....It looks like words like.....Otis Taylor....from Len Dawson....last AFL touchdown.....for ? yards....hope this helps.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miracleonice80 View Post
    Hey...I messed with the photo you posted.....It looks like words like.....Otis Taylor....from Len Dawson....last AFL touchdown.....for ? yards....hope this helps.....
    Awesome - If we ever meet - consider the first few beers on me - appreciate it

Jim

PS - Can you shoot me an email?

flaa1a@comcast.net

Otis Taylor.....Made last touchdown ........on a pass from Len Dawson for 4? yards.......best I can make out after looking again......

Otis Taylor made last touchdown with this ball @ pass from
    Len Dawson - 47 yards -

Banned

To begin, thanks for photo help and the emails. I've attached 2 more scans - the scan on the left is a raw image while the other is an enhanced image. Looks like it reads;

Super Bowl Gameball 1970 - Kansas City Chiefs vs. Minnesota Vikings - KC 23 Vikings 7

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net