Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Gary Carter 86 WS game used jersey at the Mets HOF

As I said before I'm in contact with the Mets and they do care very much about the authenticity of items put into their museum. Again the case in point is the first bogus 86 Carter when they were told it was no good they promptly returned it to the collector before it was put on display.

In the case of the current Carter 86 jersey on display it's hand written by Gary himself that it was game worn during the 86 World series. Why would the Mets even doubt the authenticity of such an item given the inscription? I don't blame them for taking it at face value.

Fortunately (as Dolphins23 said) we all know better to do our homework.
    And he's right 99% of the fans who viewed this jersey will think it's real because they see the same inscription that the Mets saw when they were first present with the jersey.

My purpose of posting this info was not to blame the victim (in this case the Mets HOF) but to inform everyone that this jersey exists as it may end up on some future auction and some other unsuspecting buyer will take it at face value that it has to be real because the player signed it as game use will be duped.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrules01 View Post
    Its funny here David and Nick as other well know Mets collectors have spent a good portion of there time helping with the museum. They have loaned items out of there personal collections. I wonder how much experience you have in the hobby? Have you ever been duped? It happens to all of us at 1 time or another in this hobby.instead of slamming all the hard work that many Mets fans have put into the museum as well as the Mets be a little bit more mature. Because you never know the next jersey you might see and buy might be a fakeand you may post it and when someone tells you its fake you will not feel good about that. I know a good amount of Mets collectors and thet are all good guys.

Scott,

Dolphins23 point was that the team didn't even know and he was not referring to any collectors. This particular jersey was put on display the last minute as a replacement and I personally didn't see it till this weekend. (yes I have to admit I've not attended a Met game until last weekend )

I think we are still in the "US" the GU minority
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Just an update on this jersey. I actually sent the owner of the jersey a letter with a copy of this thread and a link to this thread. No response at all. This was couple of years ago. I am sure one day this jersey will pop up in a major auction as the jersey used in the WS one day and we can start this merry go round again.
    metsbats86@aol.com