Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wearing game-worn jerseys...

So we've all seen and heard of the game-worn jerseys being worn by the folks at AMI for the photos in their catalogs. We've seen the guy on eBay that let's his daughter model the jerseys. For a lot of collectors, this is an immediate turn off--sometimes enough to make them pass on the jersey. But what about the game-worn jerseys that are given to the family of a player, and worn by a family member to all of the games? Probably worn 3 or 4 games by the player, but most likely worn 5 times as many times by the players' mom, dad, little brother, uncle, and cousin who knows how many times-- probably gathering stains, extra-wash wear, and who knows what other damaging factors.

Would this turn you off from purchasing an item?
    In my particular situation, it would be one of the only ways I'll be able to get a game-worn jersey from this former collegiate player-- and almost positively the only way I can get one with a nameplate still on back.

So, what are your thoughts on this topic? Does in not bother you at all, do you turn a blind eye, does it decrease the amount you would pay for the jersey, or does it completely turn you off from buying the item?

I'd love your thoughts...

Re: Wearing game-worn jerseys...

Ignore any grammatical or spelling errors you may see. I've already caught a few ... where's that editing feature when you need one?

great topic...

for me i think it depends on the player and the current status of the jersey. As you pointed out, while its worn by the family member, or another fan, whatever the case may be, it could very much garner stains, damages etc.

If its my main player i collect (willis mcgahee) and the jersey is in decent shape, ill hop on it. I dont think i'll be turned off about any willis mcghaee game worn unless it was used and abused to the point where its a disgrace to the actual jersey.

Just an opinion so please don't be offended, no matter how factually accurate it is.

I have not been to a sporting event, NHL, NFL, MLB, MiLB, minor nor college hockey in 13 years or more, where I have not seen at least a couple of fans wearing game worn jerseys. Watching the pregame show from the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, I saw a fan over the shoulder of a commentator wearing a game worn jersey.

The so called purists who collect jerseys and simply hang them up or display them and never wear them are a dwindling minority. I say this because of the ease jersey collectors now have in the last decade. Fans who normally purchased store bought authentics to obtain the most real versions of a jersey to wear, now obtain game worns (which are the pinnacle of the "real" jerseys)

Those who don't wear them think it is a sin and corrupts their value for those who do and those who do wear them think it's pius and immature to just display them. People get mighty upset when you point out how often they are worn by people after the player but it doesn't diminish it's factuality.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Just an opinion so please don't be offended, no matter how factually accurate it is.

I have not been to a sporting event, NHL, NFL, MLB, MiLB, minor nor college hockey in 13 years or more, where I have not seen at least a couple of fans wearing game worn jerseys. Watching the pregame show from the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, I saw a fan over the shoulder of a commentator wearing a game worn jersey.

The so called purists who collect jerseys and simply hang them up or display them and never wear them are a dwindling minority. I say this because of the ease jersey collectors now have in the last decade. Fans who normally purchased store bought authentics to obtain the most real versions of a jersey to wear, now obtain game worns (which are the pinnacle of the "real" jerseys)

Those who don't wear them think it is a sin and corrupts their value for those who do and those who do wear them think it's pius and immature to just display them. People get mighty upset when you point out how often they are worn by people after the player but it doesn't diminish it's factuality.
    great points! im kind of on the limbo on it, ill maybe put mine on once or twice in the house but i never wear them outside of my living room. Too fearful of the jersey getting ruined/stained/damaged.

This gets debated over and over. A quick search will show some pretty lengthy threads on the topic. There is a pretty even (and passionate) split on this topic.

It sort of goes along the lines of people collecting unwashed jerseys or preferring them to be clean.

i can maybe see someone wearing a lower tier jersey that was already washed out. But something like a unwashed filthy jersey, why would you want to wash it and ruin the nature of it? Or if you spend over 400$ on one. Just my 2 cents on it though.

Not sure if its the same thing or not but I wear a team issued jersey whenever I go to Reds games.

I got a Todd Coffey game issued home jersey from the team several years ago for $40. I wear the jersey because it has special length and sleeve customizations that were done for him, which is perfect for me since Im a bigger guy like Coffey. And also because it was a heck of a lot cheaper than any retail or authentic jersey would ever cost.
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

I have a couple Titans "game issued" jerseys that I might wear to the sports bar, but never to the Titans games because there's so many drunks and idiots that I think I'd flip if someone spilled something on my jersey. When I do wear one to the sports bar, I take it off while I'm eating...and then put it back on. I'd never wear one with a lot of actual value or significance outside of the man cave, though. Too much evil out in the world (ha ha)

For me I have players I colect GU jerseys that I don't wear and I buy other GU jerseys just to wear. Here in Oakland you can buy GU jerseys of common players and coaches for less than you can buy a retail jerseys for.