Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Does Anyone Still Collect Baseball Cards

I recently found my old baseball card sets from the 1980's and 90's and had them shipped from my parents house because I couldn't find it in my heart to get rid of them. Not sure what the current value of these sets are but I have many of them and feel like they were too big a part of my childhood to just give them away.

I'm curious what you think of baseball cards? It doesn't seem to have the same appeal that it did when I was a kid but, looking at these cards, I remember why my interest in them was so great. They are Americana.

Banned

Re: Does Anyone Still Collect Baseball Cards

baseball cards got replaced by pokemon cards a while ago. Kids collect animation cards like pokemon and yugioh stuff like that. Sports cards are long gone in current childrens lives. Such a shame : (

I collected a lot as a teen in the mid 80s and enjoyed it at the time. I lost interest in the early 90s when inserts started to pop up and it was more about money than collecting. JMO I've sold most of the stuff from the 80s, but held on to a lot of singles prior 1980. I started to try and collect cards again before I picked up GU, but it was just not the same. As a person who loves history, GU is much more fun and has more meaning to me.

Cool Re: Does Anyone Still Collect Baseball Cards

I still actively collect them for both the Mariners and Marlins, my 2 favorite teams. I do not get caught up in the game used cards and I laugh at the prices people pay for a shredded piece of jersey that probably wasn't even worn by that player.

I think they are a excellent complimentary resource to the game used hobby. I can easily look for style/photo matches. Look for various types of uniforms or manufacturers, what style of cleats a player wore in a certain season, etc. Along with the cards I also collect magazines, books, team yearbooks, team calendars, 8x10 photos, etc.

The cards and other photo resources still hold some value in that sense but for an investment, cards wouldn't be my top choice.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

The hobby of collecting baseball cards is alive and well. But, it has been overtaken by $$$ and people putting them into plastic tombs (aka grading). But there are a TON of folks who still buy and sell.

Over the past month I have purchased about $2000 worth of baseball cards from a local collector and have turned around and sold most of them for a very nice profit. This is how I am affording to go to the National next year. Yes, there are folks out there who still buy.

One piece of advice though.....DO NOT sell or give away your collection, you'll only regret it later. When I was a kid, I lost interest one summer and traded all my cards away for an electric race car track and I've kicked myself since. Out of this collection I've just purchased, I did decide to keep the 1979 set, just because I remember it so well from when I was a kid.

Put them in 9 pocket pages, slap them in a binder, take a walk down memory lane every once in a while and ENJOY THEM!!

I don't collect baseball or football cards anymore, but I do have a complete set of 1969 topps football cards. I put the set together while in the 5th grade buying packs for 5 cents to 10 cents each and then trading cards with my friends in order to compete the set. They bring back some wonderful memories and are very special to me. I still enjoy getting them out and looking at them when ever I get the chance.

I'm still collecting Star Autos (as I can't afford star GU items) and Aussie Players serial number cards. I'm actually trying to sell my Autos to make money for GU but the buying side seems to have tried up lately (maybe close to the end of the season). I'll probably try again next March.

I also have a small PC of Yankees base cards going, trying to get 1 base card of every Yankee MLB player.

Before I discovered GU I was well into it...

Mark.

I collect Bowmans and only Bowmans for the most part. Having Arizona Fall League and Spring Training locally it's nice to have the rookies cards to get signed.

I still collect cards and such. being 16, it is a lot more affordable to get a card on ebay versus a jersey or a bat. I use the base cards to get signed when i go graphing, so i mean they are still a huge part of my collection.

I used to collect game used football cards, but got turned onto game used and sold all my cards except older rookie cards.