Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Market? Or asking to much?

Hey I listed my Jimmy Rollins Game Worn 2010 jersey on ebay for $600.00 and recieved 0 bids? I purchased the jersey directly from the phillies with included recepit and bag from there game used stand. I talked to the lady working she said the jersey was taken from rollins locker not right off his back so the authenticator had to list it as a game issued jersey in the data base. The jersey shows pritty good use loose threads pilling ect. wondering if 600.00 is to much for a rollins gamer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140609829988...84.m1555.l2649

Re: Market? Or asking to much?

Ebay is nothing but a joke now. I just listed a jersey that is worth around $200 and it sold for $70, two jerseys i paid $75 each sold for $20 and $26.

call it what you will but if that is the highest bids those items got then that is what the market is willing to pay for them and as such what they are "worth"

I know that we have had this discussion many times, but I just don't feel that eBay reflects true value of any item. It's buying audience is not reflective of a group of "ready willing and able buyers".

In my experience and I have tons of supportive data where an item never even got a nibble at a low starting bid on ebay and then sold for 5 or more times the starting bid 2 months later at a major Auction house.

Having said that, our hobby is peculiar indeed......I have purchased a football Jersey for $600 only to see a near identical one sell shortly thereafter for $3000 (this happens quite a bit).... who the heck knows??

I have a gut feeling that the number of buyers and items in our hobby is almost too small to establish true market values. In comparison, the automobile market is an example where the pool of buyers set a more realistic and reoccurring value for an item.

Is your Jersey worth $600....I don't collect much BBall....but it certainly passes the "Straight face test" and would appear to be normal to me??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb25 View Post
    Hey I listed my Jimmy Rollins Game Worn 2010 jersey on ebay for $600.00 and recieved 0 bids? I purchased the jersey directly from the phillies with included recepit and bag from there game used stand. I talked to the lady working she said the jersey was taken from rollins locker not right off his back so the authenticator had to list it as a game issued jersey in the data base. The jersey shows pritty good use loose threads pilling ect. wondering if 600.00 is to much for a rollins gamer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140609829988...84.m1555.l2649
    I think you're the victim of the hobby. Are LOA's important? To some degree but with so many collectors basing their decision solely on a LOA, what a LOA says makes a big, big difference.

As for eBay being a joke, where else can you go? From a Buyer's position, its pretty good. I think their Buyer protection plan is terrific. From a Seller's position, it may NOT be that great. Lets NOT forget that a lot of people are out of work,the economy stinks and most of us have to limit our spending - unlike the Federal Government who continues to spend like a drunken sailor.

Just an opinion,

Jim

In my experience and I have tons of supportive data where an item never even got a nibble at a low starting bid on ebay and then sold for 5 or more times the starting bid 2 months later at a major Auction house.
    True.

But...much of the good stuff disappears from eBay before the auction is over, so we never get to see the bidders battle it out.

And...with auction houses you're not only going against your fellow bidders.

What I don't understand is why don't the auction house winners simply buy the item when it's on eBay? Is a catalog photo and a letter really worth that much? Saw a jersey on eBay for quite some time, around the 3K. No bites. Then sold at auction for over 8K. Why?

Not to turn this into one big bang-on-ebay thread, but their fees for sellers, with paypal fees included, is probably right in line with a major auction house. I'd say if you have something worth over $100-$200 bucks, put it in an auction house.

Cool Re: Market? Or asking to much?

From my experience I would say that eBay gives you the largest potential pool of buyers but at the same time, a majority of those buyers want your item at a wholesale price. They will do whatever it takes to talk you down to justify their stupid offer. I had someone tell me over and over that my jersey was only "Team Issued" and couldn't be game worn because the MLB holo says it's Team Issued so his offer of $150 for an All-Star calibur player was certainly more than fair because it's just Team Issued. Forget that I've collected M's jerseys for 10+ years and know what to look for, the COA says it's Issued

The armchair authenticators and diehard COA/LOA folks on there can be really tiresome but it's part of the hobby and I've learned to just let it go, or at least I try.

As for the original jersey posted, I don't know what current market is for a Rollins gamer, is it really that high? I'd bet that the high BIN coupled with the bottom line price of 6 bills might have kept people away. I'd try a BIN with Best Offer but you're bound to get the dumb $200 offers. If someone seriously wants it, they'll let you know and come with a solid offer.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Pretty good topic thats always up for debate. Over the past 5 years or so, ebay has turned into pretty much a flea market in my opinion. You wont have many seasoned collectors that will understand the true value of our items. About 10 years ago, you could move items on there and get a pretty good return. Now, it's practically impossible. Ebay is for buyers.

If Im trying to clear out some stuff on the cheap, maybe I'll give it a crack, but I usually try and avoid listing things on there.

Another thing to keep in mind, is the oversaturation of stuff in recent years makes it much harder to move your true gems. For example, look at how many NY Mets and Washington Redskins jersey's are up for auction on ebay. Some have been sitting there for over a year. JO Sports was charging at least $500 for common Redskins guys and now they arent even going for $150 with the rare GU patches intact

There doesnt seem to be a happy medium between the sellers and buyers expectations on eBay. I've seen some jerseys sit on eBay for months with the seller relisting them over and over. The seller will leave it at the same price for months then all of a sudden there will be a large bidding war for it.

I know some sellers over value their items. There is an awesome local store to me that has thousands of game used jerseys. I have been looking at their website for a while and have visited once or twice. They are great folks but seems like most of the jerseys are 200 dollars, even for no name players from the 90s. Some have been sitting on the site for a year or more. At one point in time, the price your asking might have been a fair price but if the demand isn't there, your not going to get that much from them.

As far as eBay itself, I wouldn't consider it a good barometer of market price. To many inconsistencies between each item sold.