Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Perfect Game/No-Hitter Items

Does anyone know what happens to the bats used by the players who make the final out. Do they keep using them, keep them or what. has someone ever come across one, and do they hold more value?

Re: Perfect Game/No-Hitter Items

There was once a Gabe Kapler pink bat on MLB Auctions used when he made the final out for Dallas Braden's perfect game. I can't remember the exact price, but it sold somewhere around $500-$600.

How much of a premium does a no-hitter add to a:

1. Nolan Ryan jersey used for a no-hitter
    2. Dwight Gooden jersey used for a no-hitter
    3. Edwin Jackson jersey used for a no-hitter

I used these examples because they obviously have varied levels
    of popularity and success.

I have a jersey of a mid-level, yet popular player/big-market team in Japan
    worn throwing a no-hitter. It would be a $1000 jersey for a regular
    jersey so wondering how much of a premium a no-hitter adds.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Does anyone know what happens to the bats used by the players who make the final out. Do they keep using them, keep them or what. has someone ever come across one, and do they hold more value?
    It depends on the player. Some I assume reuse them, others for superstitious reasons probaly never use the stuff they wore/used in a game their team was no hit again. They would hold unique collectible value in my opinion because other than baseballs used in the game you are unlikely to see stuff so directly connected to the no hitter. The pitcher's stuff I would assume would not hit the market and a final out bat is the next best thing.

They would hold unique collectible value in my opinion because other than baseballs used in the game you are unlikely to see stuff so directly connected to the no hitter.
    Do you think the no-hitter adds exponential value to a jersey?
    i.e. $500 >> $5000?
    Goh Nishiyama

gnishiyama@gmail.com

I realize that this isn't game used, but I just thought I'd share this complete, autographed no-hitter ticket from 1991, where four Orioles pitchers (including the recently deceased Mike Flanagan) contributed to no-hit the A's:

Do you think the no-hitter adds exponential value to a jersey?
    i.e. $500 >> $5000?
    Just bumping once hoping someone can give me his thoughts.
    Really curious to hear.
    Thanks
    Goh Nishiyama

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by gnishiyama View Post
    Just bumping once hoping someone can give me his thoughts.
    Really curious to hear.
    Thanks
    you made me curious too.

im going by the quick calculation based on information on sale of two 1991 nolan ryan jerseys.

one was his 7th no hitter and sold for $44,812 in 2011.
    http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7032&lotNo=80974

a non no hittter jersey of ryan sold for $4056 in 2007 factoring inflation bumps it up to $4,432.09. if we allocate the jersey alone at $3000 of the winning bid of $3394 then the jersey with inflation accounted for would be $3,933.41.
    http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...iform-with-Hat

So it seems that the no hitter jersey went for 10-11 times the price of a non no hit jersey for the same year. We can allocated more of the price to the pants/hat and the factor could go up to 12.

So your assessment that the price going up 10 times seems accurate for this example. Wish there were more no hit jerseys up for sale for more raw data.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by gnishiyama View Post
    I have a jersey of a mid-level, yet popular player/big-market team in Japan worn throwing a no-hitter. It would be a $1000 jersey for a regular jersey so wondering how much of a premium a no-hitter adds.
    This confirms something that I've suspected for some time - that the price of game-used items in Japan, even of a mid-level player, are much, much higher than a comparable item in the U.S. There have been some American-born players who've played in Japan, and whose jerseys I'd love to own, but I suspect that they'd be out of my budgetary range, even if I were somehow able to find them.

Gnishiyama, when (and if) you see the Japanese League jerseys of the American players for sale, how do their market prices compare with those of the popular native Japanese players? Do they tend to be more sought after, or less?

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi
    So your assessment that the price going up 10 times seems accurate for this example. Wish there were more no hit jerseys up for sale for more raw data.
    I'm not sure Ryan would be the best example to try to base a theory on, as the man is something of an icon, to say the least. The ten or eleven-fold increase in market price certainly applies to him (and no doubt Randy Johnson), but I'm less certain that the same would apply to the no-hitter or perfect game jerseys of lesser mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post

I'm not sure Ryan would be the best example to try to base a theory on, as the man is something of an icon, to say the least. The ten or eleven-fold increase in market price certainly applies to him (and no doubt Randy Johnson), but I'm less certain that the same would apply to the no-hitter or perfect game jerseys of lesser mortals.
    sure. at the super high end it may be accurate. just never seen a no hit jersey available for a pitcher of the caliber of Kevin Millwood or Bud Smith to make a good comparison. but maybe there are some collectors who would pay dearly to have a no hit jersey in there collection but never seen them come up for sale. so for a bud smith 2001 non no hit jersey that cost $200-400 how much would a person pay for a 2001 bud smith no hitter jersey?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.