Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: game used ball?

game used ball?

Do game used baseballs always have mud and stuff on them? I ready that teams will prep the balls by rubbing mud. Is this true for all game used baseballs? I am being offered a game used ball that was for an actual hit and it doesn't show much dirt if any from what I can see. It's not the best pic, but it is MLB authenticated....Any help?

Re: game used ball?

BB -

Yes, ever ball that is put into play has been 'rubbed' with Lena Blackburn's rubbing mud.

I use to work for Rawlings doing demonstrations on how balls are stitched, their history, etc.

A few bits of info you and other may find interesting:

Before each Major League game, the batboys and clubbies rub up 10-12 Dozen balls and do more during the course of the game as becomes necessary. (This use to be done by the Umpires in the days before Unions)

The Avg life span of an MLB ball in play is 7 pitches.

They are removed from play for a variety of reasons:
    • Home Run
    • Foul Ball into seats
    • pitch in dirt
    • foul off the railing
    • any other type of situation that either scuffs or otherwise significantly changes the ball

MLB uses 800,000 balls per season.

Lena Blackburn's rubbing mud is the ONLY rubbing mud approved by Major League baseball.

It is named after Lena 'Slats' Blackburne who was player for the White Sox whose family discovered the mud at an undisclosed location on a tributary of the Delaware River.

The mud itself contains very fine bits of mica and other minerals which helps the pitchers get a good grip on the ball. It basically takes the sheen off of the finished leather cover.

It came into use in the late 20's - early 30's when MLB was working to outlaw spitballs, cutballs and other methods pitchers used to get a grip on the ball.

One tub will last a team almost an entire season.

That said, I have GU balls from various periods and depending on whether it is a Horsehide Ball (pre 1973/74) or a Cowhide Ball (post 1973/74) can change the appearance of how it looks after being 'rubbed'.

Also, the leather on each ball can affect the shading from the rubbing etcetera. There are tolerances (very tight ones) in play that do allow for very slight variations in size, weight and even the quality of the leather which can also affect the look after rubbing.

I hope this helps.

Smitty

Name:  img10508127med.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  12.3 KB

Does this look game used? It doesn't to me...

Some teams, particularly the Reds, have been accused by visiting teams (OK, the Cardinals) of not preparing the balls sufficiently. Not enough mud = slippery baseballs = pitchers who can't grip them well enough to throw them. So, it's always possible that ball just wasn't rubbed with enough mud, and after a pitch or two, it was hit and then tossed out.

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    Attachment 56808

Does this look game used? It doesn't to me...
    from what I can see, it looks rubbed down.....

trust the authentication

It looks good to me and the rest of the baseball might show some more use. The Tigers have some good authenticators, I'd trust the authentication. It's a cool ball.

Banned

Smile Re: game used ball?

Anything in a game that isn't rubbed down is an aberration, but it can very rarely happen.

Chicago Ballhawk Rich Buhrke, whose total of game home runs caught over his career exceeeds 180, did once how me a Jay Johnsyone home run he caught on the street outside Wrigley Field in the early 1980s. It didn't have a speck of game rub on it. That, though, was the only one.

Dave Miedema

Banned

I wonder if theres ever been a pitcher that didn't want the balls rubbed down?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    from what I can see, it looks rubbed down.....

trust the authentication

I agree it looks rubbed down to me.

Looks fine. Go look at a brand new ball. Game used ones aren't snow white. That doesn't look like a brand new ball.