Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Move over Reggie, Albert needs to sit beside of you

$100,000.... I think thats alittle high. I bet it wouldn't bring over 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    $100,000.... I think thats alittle high. I bet it wouldn't bring over 50k.

Considering that the Kirk Gibson game used bat from the 88 WS walk off homer brought $575,000 is it unreasonable to assume that a bat used to hit 3 homers in a game in the WS only the 3rd player ever to do that would fetch over $100,000? That seems extremely low end to me as well. While not a walk off homer still a very historic feat not accomplished until last night in 34 years.

There is no doubt that some high end collector would pay an astronomical price to say they have the bat of the greatest modern day player in baseball in their collection.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5805032

That's for a walk off home run, different from 3 home-run game.

Different yes which I noted in my response prior but still both are extremely rare in a World Series. I am not saying that this bat would bring $575,000 but I bet it would bring over $100,000 easily. Who would not pay through the nose if they were a high roller for a beyond rare game bat that would probably be MLB authenticated to a 3 homer game but today's greatest player?

Ironically there have been 14 total walk off homers in the history of the WS, yet only 4 instances of 3 homer games in the history of the WS. No idea what would trump what in a collectors eyes I guess it depends on the scenario but for the collector who wants the rarest of the rare collectible, and one of a kind memorabilia, I would guess that any of these pieces would command absolute premium dollars.

But to me his 3 home-runs were nothing cause they blew the team out anyway. I'm not saying that t's not special or anything, cause it is. But I think it would have been so much better if the score was actually closer. But to me there's something special about walk-off homeruns, because they win the world series for their team. While Albert's 3 home-runs only helped win the game. I doubt we'll ever see this bat for sale, I'm guessing it's heading to HOF.

I think you need to look at his stats again. Reggie Jackson helped 11 teams to the playoffs in his 21 year career and was a major contributor on 5 teams that won the WS. Sounds like a great player to me. He didn't play in the 1972 series due to injury but helped the team get there playing into the ALCS. Reggie hit 18 postseason homeruns and 10 of those of were in the WS.

He was in the Top 20 in MVP voting 12 times in his first 15 full seasons of his career, winning the 1973 MVP, which means that he was one of the top players of his era. Reggie hit 3 homeruns in Game 6 of the 1977 WS and actually hit 4 homeruns in a row because hit one in his last official AB in Game 5.

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I also see how anyone would have thought I was talking about his playoff average instead of his regular season average.

I am not a big believer in great playoff player = great player. The player needs to help his team get to the playoffs too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I think you need to look at his stats again. Reggie Jackson helped 11 teams to the playoffs in his 21 year career and was a major contributor on 5 teams that won the WS. Sounds like a great player to me. He didn't play in the 1972 series due to injury but helped the team get there playing into the ALCS. Reggie hit 18 postseason homeruns and 10 of those of were in the WS.

He was in the Top 20 in MVP voting 12 times in his first 15 full seasons of his career, winning the 1973 MVP, which means that he was one of the top players of his era. Reggie hit 3 homeruns in Game 6 of the 1977 WS and actually hit 4 homeruns in a row because hit one in his last official AB in Game 5.
    Sorry, but I can read his stats just fine and they don't look at impressive to me as they do to you.
    Just because a player wins the MVP one year does not make him one of the top players in his era.

I realize we don't see eye to eye on Jackson and I can live with that.

Top 20 MVP voting?
    Being among 20 is not dominant.

Playoffs are not the measure of a great player. You don't think Catfish, Vida, Holtzman, Guidry, Gossage, Fingers had anything to do with Reggie's playoff success? They were the reasons.

Reggie was never as good as Bench, Morgan, Yaz (in his prime), Jim Rice, Schmidt, Winfield-- just to name some of his peers.

This is all opinions & debate of course, which make sports fun.

IMO, the Pujols homeruns were not in a clutch situation. His team had the lead when he hit all three HR's.

Look what Dan Johnson did for the Rays in the last game of the regular season. The Rays were down to their last strike and he hits a HR to tie the game and send it to extra innings. The Rays really sucked in the playoff's. Maybe next year?

There are many situations where a player has hit a HR in aclutch situation, w/ the game is on the line.

Pujols hit the HR's with no pressure of the game on the line. Josh Hamillton has stunk once again in the World Series. He needs to get it together!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...