Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: 6 charged with fraud

I think some posters are confusing the issue here. This issue is not if YOUR jerseys are real or that you had a good experience dealing with JO. What these people did is the equivalent of an investment guy running a Ponzi scheme or an autograph guy forging autographs. Bernie Madoff was a brilliant man who made a fortune in the investment business but yet still ran the world's largest ponzi scheme. Stans Sports was a highly successful autograph business that sold many, many legitimate autographs but still chose to get into the forgery business. Merely because someone is successful does not make them immune to doing illegal things to make more money. If Madoff was to get released from jail and start another investment firm would you invest with him? If Stans started selling autographs again would you buy from them? Or put another way would you buy an autograph with a Stans COA on the secondary market? Even if the signature looked good to you? I sure wouldn't because you can never be 100% certain photomatches are great but and I am maybe an overly skeptical person if the match is too a specific grass stain or dirt mark who is to say they didn't doctor the jersey to create the match? They have the same access to photos as everyone else. Also most of us will not have collections that pass down throughout the generations and at some point us or our heirs will sell our stuff. If the JO name is associated with fake stuff even if they completely cleaned up their act when they started becoming successful that is likely to make many potential buyers steer clear of the item or want to pay less for it than they would have before this came out. So we as collectors are the ultimate losers as our items and even if we don't want to think of it that way but our investments are greatly devalued. The fact that the teams and some players sell stuff to them does not mean a thing. Brad Wells another defendant ran ASI and if you recall ASI used to tout their exclusive player relationships for autographs and game used stuff with Pudge, Arod, Sosa, Manny and several other major stars. The teams and players only see green and will sell to anyone who offers them a good deal in many cases. I doubt any of these teams took the time to investigate JO's background in anyway. However, my guess is since the only thing teams worry about more than money is bad publicity when they find out if they have not already they will do damage control and immediately sever their relationships with him.

Hello everybody,
    While MeiGray was saddened to learn of yesterday’s news out of Rockland, Illinois regarding the indictment of six game-worn jersey dealers, we applaud the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its four-year investigation into fraud in the sports memorabilia industry, especially now that the investigation has focused on game-worn jerseys.
    Since our inception in 1997, MeiGray has been committed to absolute authenticity. As Official Authenticators for the NHL since 2002 and the NBA since 2006, we have worked tirelessly with these leagues and their teams to ensure that collectors get exactly what they pay for.
    We reaffirm our commitment to doing so for each and every one of our clients. We invite you to learn more about MeiGray’s approach to Game-Worn Jersey Authentication and our MeiGrade Registration System by visiting our website and clicking on the MeiGray Authenticated link.
    You’ll learn how we approach Authentication, how we determine an item is eligible for registration into our system, and why we can offer a 100% Lifetime Money Back Guarantee on every item we sell, authenticate and register, if the item is ever deemed not to be authentic.
    It is not difficult for us to do this, because working with the leagues and teams, and relying on our authentication system and expertise, we know what’s real. We know how to prove a jersey is exactly what it is supposed to be.
    And we are committed to standing behind that Guarantee … For Life.
    Respectfully,

Barry Meisel
    President and Chief Operating Officer
    MeiGray Group, LLC

SCD should contact all the teams involved with JO and ask for comment about their relationship. Would be interesting to hear if they are as chummy as JO made them out to be.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Quote Originally Posted by BarryMeisel View Post
    Hello everybody,
    While MeiGray was saddened to learn of yesterday’s news out of Rockland, Illinois regarding the indictment of six game-worn jersey dealers, we applaud the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its four-year investigation into fraud in the sports memorabilia industry, especially now that the investigation has focused on game-worn jerseys.
    Since our inception in 1997, MeiGray has been committed to absolute authenticity. As Official Authenticators for the NHL since 2002 and the NBA since 2006, we have worked tirelessly with these leagues and their teams to ensure that collectors get exactly what they pay for.
    We reaffirm our commitment to doing so for each and every one of our clients. We invite you to learn more about MeiGray’s approach to Game-Worn Jersey Authentication and our MeiGrade Registration System by visiting our website and clicking on the MeiGray Authenticated link.
    You’ll learn how we approach Authentication, how we determine an item is eligible for registration into our system, and why we can offer a 100% Lifetime Money Back Guarantee on every item we sell, authenticate and register, if the item is ever deemed not to be authentic.
    It is not difficult for us to do this, because working with the leagues and teams, and relying on our authentication system and expertise, we know what’s real. We know how to prove a jersey is exactly what it is supposed to be.
    Respectfully,

Barry Meisel
    MeiGray Group, LLC
    Barry, I have bought several of your Giants and Eagles jerseys in the past. In light of these issues in the industry, any chance that you will be getting more into NFL jerseys in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryMeisel View Post
    Hello everybody,
    Respectfully,

Barry Meisel
    MeiGray Group, LLC
    Barry, I don't know you either and find your tone and message as an infommercial for your system. I don't see other dealers coming on and gloating and self-promoting.

There are dozens of honest dealers and many had to leave the hobby as the honorable approach costs money. Upper Deck Authenticated, MLB Authenticated are as good as it gets and thats why it costs more.

Unfortunately if you collect the Saints and Packers you don't find ironclad authenticity. It is difficult so you put your faith in JO only to find they are pond scum.

I live in Washington DC now and switching to baseball and MLB Authenticated only.

Hi Buckeye,

We are regularly talking to teams and leagues about future deals ... but please do not infer anything from that statement. That is my stock answer when asked questions like these, because MeiGray does not disclose its conversations before there are official announcements to make.

Also, it would be insensitive and premature to comment specifically on any future NFL deals in lights of the recent events.

Respectfully,

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsGeaux View Post
    Barry, I don't know you either and find your tone and message as an infommercial for your system. I don't see other dealers coming on and gloating and self-promoting.

There are dozens of honest dealers and many had to leave the hobby as the honorable approach costs money. Upper Deck Authenticated, MLB Authenticated are as good as it gets and thats why it costs more.

Unfortunately if you collect the Saints and Packers you don't find ironclad authenticity. It is difficult so you put your faith in JO only to find they are pond scum.

I live in Washington DC now and switching to baseball and MLB Authenticated only.
    About 1/2 of my Packers jerseys have what I would call ironclad authenticity. Coming from the team or a letter from Red will do it for me as far as authenticity.

I am pretty sure Upper Deck authenticity has had some issues in the past.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Thanks Barry for keeping up the integrity of the hobby from your retail end.

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    About 1/2 of my Packers jerseys have what I would call ironclad authenticity. Coming from the team or a letter from Red will do it for me as far as authenticity.

Don't confuse the UpperDeck Cards division problems with UDA. Upper Deck Authenticated has an amazing system in place.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsGeaux View Post
    Don't confuse the UpperDeck Cards division problems with UDA. Upper Deck Authenticated has an amazing system in place.
    Well said. Upper Deck Authenticated has an amazing 5-point system for witnessing and verifying autographed being signed for them. They have done a little in the game used market, but not very much. They are more based on in-the-presence autograph verification.