X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BurlesonBlue
    • Aug 2011

Re: 6 charged with fraud

Originally posted by BU54CB
    They are having a 25% off sale for the Chiefs and Chargers, I'd hardly say that's a steep discount. Witch hunting a little?
    It also bears repeating that those are the two teams facing off in the Monday night game.

Comment

• 34swtns
      • Apr 2006

Maybe I should explain my personal position more clearly for the less open-minded among us.
      As far as continuing to do business with JO, I will continue for three reasons;

1) Past personal history = no problems thus far and any item I purchase is photomatched before I ever lay out a nickel for it.

2) They're the only source for the Bears jerseys I collect.

3) I deal with an individual who is not Jarrod Oldridge. This person has my utmost trust and has gone out of his way to help me maximize my purchasing ability with every deal we've struck. I've had wives who I've trusted less than this guy so I'll be cutting deals even as the ship goes down, should it ever happen.

Jarrod is the namesake and the figurehead of the company but there are several individuals within the company who have pristine reputations among the circle of collectors that I run with and that's good enough for me. I'm not an "all or nothing" kind of guy and I'm intelligent enough to know that one scar doesn't turn a supermodel into a turd.

The more people that run the other way from them make the selection that much better for me, so by all means, try to find your gamers elsewhere if your moral high-horse precludes you from doing business with them.

They'll continue to get my money until they turn out the lights.

Comment

• masp3392
        • Jun 2011

hypothetically, let's say JO is charged, convicted, whatever the case may be, what happens to their inventory?

does it go back to the designated team? the law seizes the property or because the teams were contracted at the time its Jo's to keep?

anyone know whats the likely outcome of the stock should the outcome go this way?

Comment

• masp3392
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 34swtns
          Maybe I should explain my personal position more clearly for the less open-minded among us.
          As far as continuing to do business with JO, I will continue for three reasons;

1) Past personal history = no problems thus far and any item I purchase is photomatched before I ever lay out a nickel for it.

2) They're the only source for the Bears jerseys I collect.

3) I deal with an individual who is not Jarrod Oldridge. This person has my utmost trust and has gone out of his way to help me maximize my purchasing ability with every deal we've struck. I've had wives who I've trusted less than this guy so I'll be cutting deals even as the ship goes down, should it ever happen.

Jarrod is the namesake and the figurehead of the company but there are several individuals within the company who have pristine reputations among the circle of collectors that I run with and that's good enough for me. I'm not an "all or nothing" kind of guy and I'm intelligent enough to know that one scar doesn't turn a supermodel into a turd.

The more people that run the other way from them make the selection that much better for me, so by all means, try to find your gamers elsewhere if your moral high-horse precludes you from doing business with them.

They'll continue to get my money until they turn out the lights.
          well said, just like you, i wouldn't invest $$$, especially at that those prices or any price for that matter into something i didn't do my homework on. As far as the employees at JO goes, ive dealt with rob snyder before he left (had nothing to do with this situation) and was every bit of trustworthy, standup guy with me throughout the way. I currently deal with someone who has taken over my account and from what ive exchanged with him has been even more helpful, and upfront about anything in question or what im currently looking for.

Regardless of how this plays out, im with JO

Comment

• EndzoneSports
            • Nov 2005

Greetings all!

We've been absent from this board for awhile tending to other interests (yes, Dorothy, there is a life outside the world of game-used jerseys ). A close friend brought this tread to my attention today and, needless to say this is VERY disturbing on multiple levels.

As a paying customer, having made at least one significant purchase from JO Sports Co. (JOSC), I can honestly say that, aside from feeling that I probably paid too much, I was very satisfied with the item in that it could be easily photo-matched to the one and only game in which it was worn.

That said, it is bothersome (at the very least), that we played a part in assisting JOSC in securing their partnership agreement with the Denver Broncos. I would not attempt to paint our involvement as material to the signing of their final agreement, but we did, using our contacts within the organization, grease the skids in getting their proposal moved to the top of the desk of the person in position to make the deal. That said, if the allegations hold true (presuming innocence 'til proven otherwise), this could stand to cast a negative light on our relationship with the Broncos--one that we've spent years in cultivating.

As being considered knowledgeable and trusted within the hobby community, I was interviewed a number of times by the FBI's investigator into this matter and I can say this was handled in a very professional manner. While I got the feeling that they definitely had their sights set in a couple of specific areas, this was not a per-destined "witch hunt" as the investigation (from my limited perspective) was handled with an open mind. While not at liberty to discus details, I find it interesting that, of the three persons/companies for which they seemed most interested, only one of the three was named in the present action. I wonder if this means that there's more to come???
            Patrick W. Scoggin
            Endzone Sports Charities
            www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

Comment

• Mulligans
              • Dec 2009

I thought that I would wait until I could be the 275th post on this topic??

Guys....really....it's just business and most of you seem to be bashing the "always sane, educated and rational" members of the forum?

I have owned my business for many years and have been victim to many law suits and inquiries (including the federal government)........it's just the norm for a business owner and I have yet to be convicted of any criminal offense? Most of these suits settle because they are usually just accusations from an unhappy person or government agencies and the facts are very weak.

I have been dealing with these guys for years and have spent a small fortune on their jerseys without one complaint...... They are not perfect but they are pretty good......that's just my opinion.....if you don't like them or fear their product.....just don't buy it......none of this stuff is going to sway me in any
              way.

Comment

• Preston
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Palehose for Life
                Preston, no offense, but did you notice that those teams are playing a game monday night? I'm just saying...

Very aware, Palehose...my question was whether or not it was just those two teams, or were there other teams I failed to notice were "discounting" or having their items "on sale" other than those two. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

And as far as it being good for the hobby, it would be a good thing for teams to market their OWN game jerseys...I'm saying this from personal experience but irregardless, it takes out the "middleman" in a sense.

But, thanks again for reminding me of ESPN's MNF (minus Hank Jr) for my viewing pleasure

Comment

• Preston
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Palehose for Life
                  Since no one running this site to this point has steping-up to address some of the slanderous things that are being said to this point about JO it might be time for some of our less sophisticated friends to understand what slander means and its consequences:

Slander is the spoken or transitary form of defamation of character, a legal term that refers to a falsehood presented as true which could harm the reputation of a person or entity.

If defamation of character is placed in a fixed form as in the case of a sign, published paper, film, or recording, it is considered libel.

Slander is a tort or civil law meaning a civil lawsuit can be brought against someone who is accused of slander.

Winning a defamation of character lawsuit can pay off in two types of compensation: General damages and Special damages. General Damages covers emotional trauma while Special damages covers economic loss.

Once again all of the FACTS haven't come to light yet, but for certain members of this site that NEVER gets in the way of their Lynch Mob because by God we don't need a trial we just hang people here.

This isn't just about mine or your stupid jersey YOU are playing with peoples lives and the lives of their families before knowing the facts.

I hope that the people who want to play judge, jury, & executioner if they are wromg can afford potential legal problems on their McDonalds salaries.
                  Smartest thing you've said in 2,735 posts on this topic...though "until the truth comes out, it's defamation of character" is incorrect...at that point it's just an opinion, and in the court of law, you cannot have a false opinion.

Comment

• Preston
                    • Mar 2010

let me reiterate - you putting that you understand the difference between libel and slander shows you're at least somewhat intelligent - which is what I was glad to see that you put it out there, because not everyone on this board has a law background. However, the other comments (i.e. "less sophisticated" and "McDonald's salary) were slams at people you disagree with - just because you disagree on a topic and take the side of the person being "witch hunted", it doesn't mean they make burger flippin salary...ha ha.

Okay, I'm done! Carry on...I hope to God this thing's under 40 pages by the time I log in again.

Comment

• cubbs1232
                      • Aug 2009

[quote=Mulligans;272196]I thought that I would wait until I could be the 275th post on this topic??

I have owned my business for many years and have been victim to many law suits and inquiries (including the federal government)........it's just the norm for a business owner and I have yet to be convicted of any criminal offense?
                      quote]

MULLIGANS Please i have owned my own business for 15+ years and never once has the federal or local government inquired about my business nor has there ever been a law suit against me. I was a million dollar business with no problems. get over yourself and quit making excuses for scum.

This isnt just a black eye for jo its bad for the entire hobby. jo was probably the most "reputable" company in the hobby and now they are tarnished because they sold fake ass items. face the facts, they basically pleaded guilty to whatever charges they faced.

Comment

• cubbs1232
                        • Aug 2009

[quote=Mulligans;272196]
                        I have owned my business for many years and have been victim to many law suits and inquiries (including the federal government)........it's just the norm for a business owner and I have yet to be convicted of any criminal offense?
                        quote]

THIS MIGHT BE ONE OF THE MOST IGNORANT STATEMENTS I HAVE EVER READ. I HOPE YOU WERENT BEING SERIOUS. IF SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO REEVALUATE YOUR BUSINESS PRACTICE.

Comment

• Mulligans
                          • Dec 2009

My point is that the larger your Company is the more legal issues that you will face.....and that's just a fact.....I was trying to reemphasize the need not to over react and pound people until all of the circumstances are revealed and decisions are rendered....all the bashing just appears to be a bit over reactive at this stage?

Comment

• trsent
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Mulligans
                            My point is that the larger your Company is the more legal issues that you will face.....and that's just a fact.....I was trying to reemphasize the need not to over react and pound people until all of the circumstances are revealed and decisions are rendered....all the bashing just appears to be a bit over reactive at this stage?
                            Welcome to The Game Used Forum.

Comment

• short84
                              • Dec 2008

As someone who has purchased 7 jerseys from JO, 2 of which were misrepresented and someone who has watched their auctions with hidden mystery bids and hidden mystery reserve prices, I can not "forgive" or overlook their dishonest business practices as easily as others on this forum. The fact that Rob resigned (I did most of my transactions through him) speaks loudly. My trust in this company has been shaken. This company, in my opinion, needs to become more transparent (especially their auctions) and needs to work at regaining the trust of their customers. I work hard for my money and when I spend it, I want to feel good about my purchases. My goodness, we are talking about purposely changing the appearance of items in order to make a greater financial gain -- not simply putting the wrong COA with an item. Purposely changing the appearance of an item requires forethought -- this wasn't done on a whim -- this was done with the intent to make more money. This is fraud which equals dishonesty which is the result of greed at the expense of their customers. In my opinion, this company is going to have to prove to me, the customer, they are willing to go the extra mile to regain my trust. Just my opinion. Have a great day gentlemen!

Comment

• nycpropain
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mulligans
                                seriously? Thats beyond BS. I own an autograph signing company for 20 years now. I have never had the FBI knock on my door because of forgeries I have sold not to mention never had ONE lawsuit brought upon me. So not sure what you are basing this opinion on.

I dont know which is more disturbing at this point the fact that this went down OR that people who have items from them feel the need to blindly defend this mess.

Comment

Working...