Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: 6 charged with fraud

I probably should have written more clearly , but I was in a rush last night. I am in no way downplaying a Federal Charge, or Federal Indictment. But I think it's silly to assume that JO's connection to this story is at all related to his current business. 99% of everything that JO sells comes directly from NFL teams, with NFL team COA's. And if there are things on JO's site that you're unsure of, like anything in life, do your homework and be certain that it's legit.

There was a story written about charges being made...but no one knows JO's involvement in any of this. So my only point was to hold off on coming to conclusions before all sides of the story are out.

I have purchased a total of 7 jerseys from JO Sports in the past 2 years. All were sold as game used with game used COAs. Six on the 7 were obtained directly from the teams and the 7th from Steiner. Two of the 7 showed no use at all and I could prove they were never game worn by the player they were issued to. I returned one (I was never reimbursed for my cost to ship it back) and the second one I gave away (without the COA). The one I returned, appeared a couple of months later on eBay represented as a game worn jersey complete with the original "game worn" COA issued by JO. It was not being sold by them, but another individual. Why was this issued jersey still being represented as game worn and why was the game used COA not destroyed? Sure, it is easy to make a mistake when you have to trust the team's information -- you have to take their word that the item you receive is being represented correctly. But when there is proof the item is not represented correctly, why is it passed on?
    I would like to add; however, the other 5 jerseys I have are beautiful and I am thrilled to have them. The gentlemen I have worked with directly at JO have been fantastic and they have worked hard to make me happy. In every company, there is always a "weak" link and unfortunately, the entire company's reputation can be weakened or destroyed by this. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt28 View Post
    99% of everything that JO sells comes directly from NFL teams, with NFL team COA's
    And you can prove this how? There is no way 99% of their stuff comes directly from teams. I think they would like you to believe that, but they even admitted to buying jerseys from auctions (and we know how reputable any auction house is these days).

Their site clearly states that they only have agreements with 15 teams. That means they do not have a partnership with 17 teams, yet they have inventory from almost every single team. The 17 teams they have no agreement with but inventory for did not come directly from NFL teams etc. They got the items through, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, parties I.E a person that bought a jersey from a friend of a friend of the assistant equipment manager who got the jersey from the head equipment manager who got the jersey from the player or that same jersey was auctioned.

So sorry to see JO Sports mixed up in this. I worked with Robert on two Steelers jerseys that are definitely legitimate as I was able to photomatch them before purchase. He was an outstanding sales representative and a good guy. Am truly sorry that I won't be able to work with him in the future. It's a shame when a good employee finds himself/herself caught up in such a controversy. I work for a company whose name was dragged through the mud last year to the nth degree and I had nothing to do with the incident that caused the controversy. It's such a feeling of helplessness. Here's hoping Robert lands somewhere soon, whoever gets him is getting themselves a great catch......

Quote Originally Posted by short84 View Post
    I have purchased a total of 7 jerseys from JO Sports in the past 2 years. All were sold as game used with game used COAs. Six on the 7 were obtained directly from the teams and the 7th from Steiner. Two of the 7 showed no use at all and I could prove they were never game worn by the player they were issued to. I returned one (I was never reimbursed for my cost to ship it back) and the second one I gave away (without the COA). The one I returned, appeared a couple of months later on eBay represented as a game worn jersey complete with the original "game worn" COA issued by JO. It was not being sold by them, but another individual. Why was this issued jersey still being represented as game worn and why was the game used COA not destroyed? Sure, it is easy to make a mistake when you have to trust the team's information -- you have to take their word that the item you receive is being represented correctly. But when there is proof the item is not represented correctly, why is it passed on?
    I would like to add; however, the other 5 jerseys I have are beautiful and I am thrilled to have them. The gentlemen I have worked with directly at JO have been fantastic and they have worked hard to make me happy. In every company, there is always a "weak" link and unfortunately, the entire company's reputation can be weakened or destroyed by this. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    You are what is problematic in this hobby. You are thrilled with your 5 good jerseys and would probably do business with them again.

While it was noble of you to stand up, I am enraged to hear that jersey was on EBAY and you have to wonder what the sellers story is.

This isn't 1 bad Apple here, this sounds like SOP in government terms is standard operating procedure.

My guess is people are afraid to post up on this.

A few quotes from the Justice Department discussion board.

"What are you guys, the game worn police?"

"They have perfect eBay feedback, this must be wrong"

"I won't believe it until I read it on Twitter."

"How can you charge a guy that has a biblical quote in his message board signature? That's unAmerican!"

"This was more important than catching Osama?"

"Federal prosecutors with too much free time!"

"But it's got paperwork AND is professionally framed."

"Where the hell is the Dislike button?"

Banned

As many of you know I have purchased many jerseys from JO. I have spent a small fortune on them. In my opinion JO needs to step up to the plate here and 1. Explain to their customers and the collecting public exactly what happened, what jerseys were involved, from what time period the conduct charged occurred, etc. and 2. Offer full returns and refunds to every customer who purchased an item before yesterday. Even if this has nothing to do with stuff they are currently selling, unless JO has some amazing explanation in the press release the JO name is now forever tainted. As a result people who us collectors may resell our jerseys to will question them, in many cases refrain from buying them and not be willing to pay as much for as they would have yesterday. Therefore, it is only fair that they do the right thing here and not leave us customers hung out to dry.

Banned

I wonder now if JO will still be able to get items from teams or will the teams stop selling to them over this? I wonder if the teams even now about this.

Quote Originally Posted by short84 View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on these "game issued" jerseys that were advertised as game used? What position was the jersey from? Is it possible you purchased a Revis jersey from 1 game, in which he wasn't involved in a single tackle, nor thrown to once? Is it possible you bought an Eli Manning jersey from one game, in which no one laid a hand on him? My point is that it's possible to get jerseys in this day and age that barely show use, because they have been used for 1 game only, used on dry field turf, or were hardly involved in the game. Not every jersey from every player involved in every game looks like an Adrien Peterson jersey. I'm not looking to start fights, or point fingers...just playing devils advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    This is from the old site. Check the May 11, 2001 issue of SCD.

Re: MASAUCTION - Mitchell Schumaker

May 11 2005 at 2:05 PM

Response to MASAUCTION - Mitchell Schumaker

You are correct in your assumption regarding Mitch Schumacher of MS Auctions. There was an article in the May 11, 2001, issue of SCD regarding Mitch.

In that article, it states he was arrested in the FBI's Operation Foul Ball. He admitted using an east coast authenticating firm to authenticate his game-model jerseys as game used. The east coast firm was Grey Flannel.

Most of the "game used" items he sold on ebay before being arrested by the FBI, had Grey Flannel letters. He plead guilty.
    I have to admit I am confused by this information. Did this Schumaker episode reflect poorly on Grey Flannel? Can anyone enlighten me?