Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: 6 charged with fraud

Interesting to note:
    In U.S. District Court in Rockford, four defendants were charged in criminal informations and two in indictments.

"Charged in indictments with mail fraud are Eric Inselberg of New Jersey, who works with Taylor Huff Inc. and Pasadena Trading Corp,; and Bradley Wells of Florda, who works with Authentic Sports Inc. and Historic Auctions.

Charged by criminal information with mail fraud are Bernard Gernay of New Jersey, involved with Pro Sports Investments Inc.; Bradley Horne of South Carolina, involved with Authentic Sports Memorabilia Inc.; Jarrod Oldridge of Nevada, involved with JO Sports Inc.,; and Michell Schumacher of Wisconsin, using the trade name MS Sports."

Just so we know what we're talking about, here is the difference between information and an indictment

From a law blog...

"An indictment and an information are two vehicles which serve the same purpose through different approaches.

To be indicted the evidence is presented to a grand jury for consideration. The indictment in and of itself has no legal weight other than that it gets you into court. It holds no evidentiary value whatsoever. All it does is make you appear in front of a judge to enter a plea.

An information is generally used when a defendant, or potential defendant, agrees that there is enough evidence to proceed with the case, thereby compelling said defendant to appear in court and enter a plea to the information, i.e. charges contained therein, just like an indictment. In agreeing to be prosecuted on an information you are waiving your right to have the case presented to a grand jury.

The advantages are that you are cooperating with the prosecutor in not making them do more work than they want to. It also can serve to keep your case a little quieter. Most courts don't publicize the filing of informations unless someone notifies the media. In other words, reporters will go through bills of indictments and report what they choose to. In my situation, for instance, I plead to an information and there was no media coverage until sentencing. (I was a former L.E.O. and a very public figure, so it meant a lot to my family to keep it as quiet as possible. It didn't work for the duration of my case, but it helped keep the public scrutiny to a minimum for a long time.)

The advantages to the prosecutor are many. As pointed out he/she doesn't have to prepare the case for grand jury presentation. He/she doesn't risk the failure of a bill being handed up. He/she relies on you to show up in court as promised. He/she uses the fact that you have admitted that there is evidence to prosecute as leverage to gain a favorable plea."
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

"It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant and others involved in the scheme frequently changed, or caused changes to the jerseys’ appearance by roughening, scuffing, washing, dirtying, or otherwise changing the appearance of the jerseys to make them appear that they had actual “wear and tear.”

ouch
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Eric,
    For some reason I'm not able to open the files you posted on Schumacher or Oldridge. Could you just post this information for all of us to read?

Banned

Ouch is one of many words.

Eric -

Not trying to start a fight, but after re-reading this thread:

Masauction

:don't you think Howard Blake might be owed an apology from a few members of this board?

That thread took place in September 2006 and you and others were defending Mitchell Schumacher.

The Information on Mitch states dates starting 'in or about early 2005' - a full year and a half before Howard's thread - and continuing through 2011.

Just my opinion. And I won't be surprised if this post is deleted before it gets to many readings like most things that go against the grain here.

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsGeaux View Post
    By the way, I called up to talk to Rob at JO and he resigned yesterday.
    Do you think he knew something was going on behind the scenes or was it a coincidence that he is resigning? I'd be curious to know.

As far as JO, like Schumacher, theirs was a Criminal Information, not Indictment which means they have admitted to wrong doing and are working a plea.

Maybe they're just the tip of the iceberg and their pleas include bringing down bigger fish that may be involved???

- Smitty

The charges list Jarred Oldridge (JO) as "part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant and others invoked in the scheme re-sold many of these jerseys, they provided or caused go be provided to the buyers, certificates of authenticity that falsely and fraudulently misrepresented that the jerseys were game used jerseys."

5. It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant and others involved in the scheme frequently changed, or caused changes to the jerseys’ appearance by roughening, scuffing, washing, dirtying, or otherwise changing the appearance of the jerseys to make them appear that they had actual “wear and tear.”

6. It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant and others involved in the scheme re-sold, consigned, and auctioned the same jerseys for hundreds of thousands of dollars to sports trading card companies and other buyers by falsely and fraudulently misrepresenting to the buyers that the jerseys were game used, when in fact, as the defendant well knew, the jerseys were not game used.