Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Re: 6 charged with fraud

Quote Originally Posted by SkubeBats View Post
    That day they had there best sale was the end of the auction on their website. Also this was before anyone realy new about all of this. I agree wait until everyone they delt with finds out I bet they get plenty of returns on their items they have sold.

I still don't understand some of you on here. Jarrod was charged in federal court and seems like he has plead out on this case. Am I missing anything here? I didn't think so.

Jarrod is the guy who screwed up his life and his company not anyone else buy himself!!

If you still feel like buying from a known scam artist go ahead. It doesn't matter if it was one jersey or 1,000 jerseys!!

I will continue to ask...WHAT did he plead out to? WHAT was the incident(s) that he was involved in? WHO were the counterparties involved? WAS he even directly involved with anything, or was he simply a middle man selling to a card company??

I think until the facts are out, and UNTIL someone can come on this board with some facts, then we should stop crushing JO.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt28 View Post
    So far I have read from someone on the board who bought a jersey from a player who played less than 1 full NFL game, and was refunded their full money.

I have heard from someone who was going to buy the jersey of a kicker, but deemed the jersey to be issued, no worn (sorry, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference from a player who kicks a ball? worn?? issued?? but that's a whole different argument).

And I have read about how someone bought a game used jersey from JO, was able to photomatch it, but photomatch it to a different game than the team told JO that the jersey came from .

Call me crazy...but hardly offenses that would warrant an investigation from the FBI. I would still love to know what the charges are, when they came from, and what the scenario was. I would love to hear about the $20,000 Sanchez jersey that was found to be a fraud. Or the $18,000 Manning jersey that was bogus. Or perhaps the bad Peterson jersey that was doctored up with fake ball marks and hit marks, and sold for $10,000. I know of 2-3 auction houses that continue to sell bogus items, and still carry on business as usual. So the people who have come forward have all brought up great issues, but hardly FBI worthy offenses.

Do you understand that knowingly misrepresenting items and completing a sale is fraudulent? What don't you get about that? Whether it is 1 jersey or 100 or 1000, a crime is a crime. The difference here is you are correct, the FBI won't generally charge someone for 1 random act of fraud. Like SaintsGeaux said, they are looking for patterns.

Here is what is more likely to have occured. Bulk sales to dealers across state lines. Bulk consignments, sales on ebay when the dealer was shown the item or items were fake and totally disregarded the proof and still sold it again the same way as game used. Sales under other names that you aren't aware of such as using straw sellers.

The truth generally comes out in pieces and I agree, its not from randomly selling a game issued as a game used here and there although that shows the type of people you are dealing with in and of itself.

While we absolutely do not know the full story here the fact that this has been a five year investigation by the federal government and they after all that time felt they had enough evidence against said company to seek a federal indictment speaks volumes to me and I think many other members on here. The Feds are not just going to do a five year investigation find one lone act of selling a game issued as game used as one example and charge anybody with a crime. Something, some multiple things had to occur that they felt if they went to trail that they will nail not only JO but the other individuals, entities and companies involved. Make no mistake this is well thought out and the truth will come out.

I just think it is kind of funny that random people are on here just defending these guys like there is simply no possible way they could do any wrongdoing. Are you guys on the payroll as defense attorney's, working for JO, working as their marketing and PR guys or what?

Come on guys we again have seen this stuff play out over and over and over again, it is a broken record in this business. Guys we thought were good took a big hit in the past. It is not the first time, it definitely will not be the last.

As Conboy says, just sit back with your popcorn and watch this whole thing unfold.

Jeb

Banned

It says Jarrod and the other guys were charged by information of mail fraud, which indicates that they worked out plea deals with prosecutors. So I guess they were guilty of something!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkubeBats View Post
    It says Jarrod and the other guys were charged by information of mail fraud, which indicates that they worked out plea deals with prosecutors. So I guess they were guilty of something!!
    Yup, unknowing middlemen work with the prosecution to help uncover what happened and help prosecute.

People with stuff to hide and no case cop deals.

Looks like the Giants may have gotten wind of this and canceled or suspended their partnership with JO. JO no longer has all their Giants items on their website. Also, their Giants game worn fan page on facebook is no longer up????
    Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Banned

It takes alot for the FBI and U.S. Attorney to expend their manpower and resources to investigate and bring a case against someone. This is not some local investigation and case where one can argue politics or a desire for publicity or whatever led to a witch hunt by some cowboy sheriff or prosecutor looking to make a name for himself. The fact that JO was charged by an information indicates that a plea deal is in the works. If he was innocent why would he plead guilty? Why not go to trial, get acquitted and clear his name? If you did nothing wrong how will they convict you beyond a reasonable doubt? Yes, false convictions do happen but those are normally in cases such as sexual offenses or homicide or robbery type cases. In white collar crime cases like this one the false conviction rate is close to nill so if he was innocent I cannot see him pleading out. The reason to plead out quickly would be to keep the case as quiet as possible to limit the harm to his reputation and prevent further skeltons from coming out of his closet at trial. The complaints are online and there is a link to them in this thread. Read them. JO is charged with knowingly selling non-game used jerseys as game used jerseys and doctoring them to appear game used. It appears that this occurred on multiple occasions and there is a specific date in 2008 only three years ago cited in the complaint. Again read it. I realize that you defenders have purchased from them and I have also but I cannot defend someone who engaged in conduct like this and lets be real if you knew when you bought your items what you know now, would you have bought them? I sure would not have. My main concern is not if my jerseys are real, I am confident they are. My concern is someone who did things to give the hobby a blackeye so recently becoming such a force in the hobby and my worry is that he is still engaging in this conduct or will again in the future. I have learned that in life people don't change often, particularly scammers. As for returns don't hold your breath when you buy from them they include a flyer indicating that there are no returns unless for certain very limited circumstances.

Banned

As far as Wednesday being their best sale day, it is most likely puffing and spin. Did JO show you the sales figures for that day? I doubt it.

Bottom line is that when you are an employer and you have an employee that keeps making mistakes and having excuses for those mistakes, this demonstrates a pattern of non-performance. In the real world, this ultimately leads to job termination. When there is a pattern of non-performance and mislabled/misrepresented jerseys from a company like JO Sports, shouldn't this be viewed in the same light? I'm hearing too many examples of mistakes made by them. I work very hard for my money as I know you all do too. When I spend it, I want to know I am buying what is represented by the seller.

Ultimately, I think they (JO) got lazy with authenticating their jerseys. We have also seen examples where a milestone jersey was listed as a 2010 jersey, and the buyer was able to photomatch the jersey, thereby increasing the value from the original purchase price. With social media being part of our mainstream, why would dealers not do their homework on the jerseys they are selling?

With the prices JO is asking on their gamers, they can not afford to make even one mistake. One mistake is too many, especially since they are consistently asking 1K and up for "common players".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS View Post
    Looks like the Giants may have gotten wind of this and canceled or suspended their partnership with JO. JO no longer has all their Giants items on their website. Also, their Giants game worn fan page on facebook is no longer up????
    Not surprised it was in the New York Daily News and the Giants are a first class organization. I would be stunned if the Maras or the Tischs continued a relationship like that in the name of profit. I would expect the other teams to follow suit as soon as they find out. Almost all contracts have a clause that allow for termination in some circumstances. The teams have first class attorneys, I would be stunned if they let them enter a contract like this without including such a clause that lets them get out in cases like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbestic View Post
    Bottom line is that when you are an employer and you have an employee that keeps making mistakes and having excuses for those mistakes, this demonstrates a pattern of non-performance. In the real world, this ultimately leads to job termination. When there is a pattern of non-performance and mislabled/misrepresented jerseys from a company like JO Sports, shouldn't this be viewed in the same light? I'm hearing too many examples of mistakes made by them. I work very hard for my money as I know you all do too. When I spend it, I want to know I am buying what is represented by the seller.

Ultimately, I think they (JO) got lazy with authenticating their jerseys. We have also seen examples where a milestone jersey was listed as a 2010 jersey, and the buyer was able to photomatch the jersey, thereby increasing the value from the original purchase price. With social media being part of our mainstream, why would dealers not do their homework on the jerseys they are selling?

With the prices JO is asking on their gamers, they can not afford to make even one mistake. One mistake is too many, especially since they are consistently asking 1K and up for "common players".
    I am confused. There is not criminal intent over one mistake. That is not the issue here. Any human mistakes are not the reason for indictments.

The concerns are more about intentional, planned, fraud. No one was charged because they made any mistakes, except mistakes in good judgment as a member of society.