X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legaleagle92481
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

Re: 6 charged with fraud

It takes alot for the FBI and U.S. Attorney to expend their manpower and resources to investigate and bring a case against someone. This is not some local investigation and case where one can argue politics or a desire for publicity or whatever led to a witch hunt by some cowboy sheriff or prosecutor looking to make a name for himself. The fact that JO was charged by an information indicates that a plea deal is in the works. If he was innocent why would he plead guilty? Why not go to trial, get acquitted and clear his name? If you did nothing wrong how will they convict you beyond a reasonable doubt? Yes, false convictions do happen but those are normally in cases such as sexual offenses or homicide or robbery type cases. In white collar crime cases like this one the false conviction rate is close to nill so if he was innocent I cannot see him pleading out. The reason to plead out quickly would be to keep the case as quiet as possible to limit the harm to his reputation and prevent further skeltons from coming out of his closet at trial. The complaints are online and there is a link to them in this thread. Read them. JO is charged with knowingly selling non-game used jerseys as game used jerseys and doctoring them to appear game used. It appears that this occurred on multiple occasions and there is a specific date in 2008 only three years ago cited in the complaint. Again read it. I realize that you defenders have purchased from them and I have also but I cannot defend someone who engaged in conduct like this and lets be real if you knew when you bought your items what you know now, would you have bought them? I sure would not have. My main concern is not if my jerseys are real, I am confident they are. My concern is someone who did things to give the hobby a blackeye so recently becoming such a force in the hobby and my worry is that he is still engaging in this conduct or will again in the future. I have learned that in life people don't change often, particularly scammers. As for returns don't hold your breath when you buy from them they include a flyer indicating that there are no returns unless for certain very limited circumstances.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
      Banned
      • Oct 2009

As far as Wednesday being their best sale day, it is most likely puffing and spin. Did JO show you the sales figures for that day? I doubt it.

Comment

• jbestic
        • May 2008

Bottom line is that when you are an employer and you have an employee that keeps making mistakes and having excuses for those mistakes, this demonstrates a pattern of non-performance. In the real world, this ultimately leads to job termination. When there is a pattern of non-performance and mislabled/misrepresented jerseys from a company like JO Sports, shouldn't this be viewed in the same light? I'm hearing too many examples of mistakes made by them. I work very hard for my money as I know you all do too. When I spend it, I want to know I am buying what is represented by the seller.

Ultimately, I think they (JO) got lazy with authenticating their jerseys. We have also seen examples where a milestone jersey was listed as a 2010 jersey, and the buyer was able to photomatch the jersey, thereby increasing the value from the original purchase price. With social media being part of our mainstream, why would dealers not do their homework on the jerseys they are selling?

With the prices JO is asking on their gamers, they can not afford to make even one mistake. One mistake is too many, especially since they are consistently asking 1K and up for "common players".

Comment

• legaleagle92481
          Banned
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by BULBUS
          Looks like the Giants may have gotten wind of this and canceled or suspended their partnership with JO. JO no longer has all their Giants items on their website. Also, their Giants game worn fan page on facebook is no longer up????
          Not surprised it was in the New York Daily News and the Giants are a first class organization. I would be stunned if the Maras or the Tischs continued a relationship like that in the name of profit. I would expect the other teams to follow suit as soon as they find out. Almost all contracts have a clause that allow for termination in some circumstances. The teams have first class attorneys, I would be stunned if they let them enter a contract like this without including such a clause that lets them get out in cases like this.

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jbestic
            Bottom line is that when you are an employer and you have an employee that keeps making mistakes and having excuses for those mistakes, this demonstrates a pattern of non-performance. In the real world, this ultimately leads to job termination. When there is a pattern of non-performance and mislabled/misrepresented jerseys from a company like JO Sports, shouldn't this be viewed in the same light? I'm hearing too many examples of mistakes made by them. I work very hard for my money as I know you all do too. When I spend it, I want to know I am buying what is represented by the seller.

Ultimately, I think they (JO) got lazy with authenticating their jerseys. We have also seen examples where a milestone jersey was listed as a 2010 jersey, and the buyer was able to photomatch the jersey, thereby increasing the value from the original purchase price. With social media being part of our mainstream, why would dealers not do their homework on the jerseys they are selling?

With the prices JO is asking on their gamers, they can not afford to make even one mistake. One mistake is too many, especially since they are consistently asking 1K and up for "common players".
            I am confused. There is not criminal intent over one mistake. That is not the issue here. Any human mistakes are not the reason for indictments.

The concerns are more about intentional, planned, fraud. No one was charged because they made any mistakes, except mistakes in good judgment as a member of society.

Comment

• AWA85
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jhunt28

And I have read about how someone bought a game used jersey from JO, was able to photomatch it, but photomatch it to a different game than the team told JO that the jersey came from .

Call me crazy...
              May be little to you, but makes a big difference when the the game they are claiming it to be worn in was the school record for most rushing yards in a game compared to a game where the player did nothing when it was truly worn. 0/3 on photomatches on items from them, if they do not have the staff or time to photomatch all the items they should not state that all are matched up in each description.
              Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• jhunt28
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BULBUS
                Looks like the Giants may have gotten wind of this and canceled or suspended their partnership with JO. JO no longer has all their Giants items on their website. Also, their Giants game worn fan page on facebook is no longer up????

Giants items are back up on their site...so looks like just another person rushing to judgement...could it have been a simple technology error? Perhaps....but let's have everyone pile on and reach the conclusion that the Giants have pulled their items in disgust over the horror and outrage that JO has caused their team, because they are so "classy".

Look...I know it seems as if I am a defense lawyer for JO...when I'm merely playing devils advocate, looking for details on exactly they did wrong, and perhaps giving them a little room to breathe.

josportsco.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, josportsco.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• SkubeBats
                  Banned
                  • May 2006

I just got off the phone with the St Louis Rams. They told me that their lawyers are hard at work to end their relationship with JO Sports. They also told me there will be many more teams to do the same. They will make a public anouncemant about this soon.

Comment

• BULBUS
                    • Nov 2005

Giants items are back up on their site...so looks like just another person rushing to judgement...could it have been a simple technology error? Perhaps....but let's have everyone pile on and reach the conclusion that the Giants have pulled their items in disgust over the horror and outrage that JO has caused their team, because they are so "classy".

Look...I know it seems as if I am a defense lawyer for JO...when I'm merely playing devils advocate, looking for details on exactly they did wrong, and perhaps giving them a little room to breathe.
                    I was just stating a fact. The Giants stuff was gone from their site for more than a day. Their Giants facebook fan page is still gone. Plus, they still dont have all the Giants jerseys that they did before.

While it seems that JO is running a legit business with their current NFL contracts, its obvious from the charges that everything before the NFL was not on the up and up, and Jarrod got busted.
                    Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                    sigpic
                    donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• nycpropain
                      • Sep 2009

http://www.josportsco.com/list_produ...000035&CatID=0
                      You are not playing devils advocate you are making a joke out of everything as if the FBI where mall security. But when the teams do pull this stuff (they will just talked to a very reliable friend off record who works around a team) will you then say you where wrong? Or are you going to run from this place like it was on fire?

Stop it we get it already, but make no mistake only a few as of now are buying it.

Comment

• ChuckFoPrez
                        • Jun 2007

This is why I, for the most part, stay in the "Retail Authentic" arena plus some Made in Berlin, WI items along w/ a couple autographs. That GU stuff is just too risky and not really worth it IMO.

Comment

• SaintsGeaux
                          • Jan 2010

http://www.josportsco.com/list_produ...000035&CatID=0
                          Are you a shill for JO or a super fan of theirs. In your June post about JO you wrote in large bold font ROBERT IS A GOD!

I think the owners of this Blog should check your background or you should recuse yourself from further postings based on impartially since you are treating this like your own trial as defense counsel.

Still Palehose talking about what scum Vick is and be shown he's tied with JO was classic.

Comment

• SaintsGeaux
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SaintsGeaux
                            Are you a shill for JO or a super fan of theirs. In your June post about JO you wrote in large bold font ROBERT IS A GOD!

I think the owners of this Blog should check your background or you should recuse yourself from further postings based on impartially since you are treating this like your own trial as defense counsel.

Still Palehose talking about what scum Vick is and be shown he's tied with JO was classic.
                            Correction, it reads robert is God!!!!!! That post was made 6/20/11.

Comment

• Jeffredsfan
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SkubeBats
                              I just got off the phone with the St Louis Rams. They told me that their lawyers are hard at work to end their relationship with JO Sports. They also told me there will be many more teams to do the same. They will make a public anouncemant about this soon.

Good! maybe I can get a Rams Alexander jersey without taking out a second mortgage!

Comment

• jhunt28
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SaintsGeaux

A sense of humor would be good in this occasion...Let's just leave this as you have your point of view, and I have mine. One of us will be wrong in due time. You are free to look into my background...I welcome it!!!

Comment

Working...