Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'89 Brett Butler World Series uni - if the auto is fake, what hope is there for the uni?

I've got Butler's '88 Topps contract, and his auto hasn't really changed since then. Jersey has an autograph that says "Brett Butler", but it sure wasns't Butler than signed it. Begs the question - is the uni even legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brett-Butler...#ht_500wt_1413

"auto" from jersey

'88 Topps contract

an in-person autograph from a couple summers ago at a Fresno Grizzlies game

Re: '89 Brett Butler World Series uni - if the auto is fake, what hope is there for the uni?

I have noticed that some player autographs are different than their signatures. I did not see in the auction when the jersey was signed. You need to find a 20 autograph to compare it to the jersey. With all the time that has past since his playing days his autograph and signature could have becone one in the same.

Re: '89 Brett Butler World Series uni - if the auto is fake, what hope is there for the uni?

I am not disagreeing with the OP, but who would forge a Brett Butler auto??? Can't be much value in that?
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    I am not disagreeing with the OP, but who would forge a Brett Butler auto??? Can't be much value in that?
    To give legitimacy to the uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by dnrapp View Post
    I have noticed that some player autographs are different than their signatures. I did not see in the auction when the jersey was signed. You need to find a 20 autograph to compare it to the jersey. With all the time that has past since his playing days his autograph and signature could have becone one in the same.
    I understand your point, and have seen examples of this in some players. However, there have been at some recognizable similarities as the years progressed.

I own dozens of items (mostly cards) that he's signed through the years. The autograph on the contract in '88 is very similar to the way he signs today. I've seen hundreds of autographed cards, 8 x 10s & baseballs come up in my searches on eBay and they're all very similar. I see no reason why he'd sign the jersey any differently than he's signed other items, including the two jerseys he's signed for me in person.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    To give legitimacy to the uniform.
    A $5 auto gives legitimacy to a $100 jersey? That's a stretch.

chris@pacmedia.ca

I should clarify. I have no idea if the auto or jersey are authentic and after a second look at the listing, a WS jersey would potentially have more than $100 in value. I was glib earlier, however I dont believe that the auto adds much if anything to the jersey and if faked on an authentic jersey it just takes away.

chris@pacmedia.ca

now, now - no need to disparage the desirability of a man's autograph. That said, I believe your $5 price is on the high side.

Banned

Alot of collectors, especially newer collectors take the approach of if a game used item is signed then the item is real under the theory that the player would not have signed the item if it were not real.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Alot of collectors, especially newer collectors take the approach of if a game used item is signed then the item is real under the theory that the player would not have signed the item if it were not real.
    Granted, but there are many that feel any auto or inscription on a game used item renders the item less desirable.

chris@pacmedia.ca