Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doodles
    • Jul 2011

Bob Gibson???? ROTFL

Grey Flannel is calling this a Bob Gibson 1981 Coach's jacket.

The Mets started wearing this type jacket in 1984. It is surely a Paul Gibson 1992-3 Mets Starter jacket. Amazing that he also wore 45! This hobby is maddening.
    Attached Files
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Bob Gibson???? ROTFL

Originally posted by Doodles
    Grey Flannel is calling this a Bob Gibson 1981 Coach's jacket.

The Mets started wearing this type jacket in 1984. It is surely a Paul Gibson 1992-3 Mets Starter jacket. Amazing that he also wore 45! This hobby is maddening.
    Cool find.

Did you notify Grey Flannel of the error? I'm sure they will be embarrassed but they will correct it.

Comment

• Doodles
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by trsent
      Cool find.

Did you notify Grey Flannel of the error? I'm sure they will be embarrassed but they will correct it.
      I sent them an email...let's see what happens.

I love these jackets, but this one is worth about $100...they should send it to me for free for saving them the shame of auctioning it.

Comment

• Doodles
        • Jul 2011

They were very nice about it and took it off the website.

Comment

• slats7
          Banned
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Doodles
          They were very nice about it and took it off the website.
          If only they'd been as responsible regarding that phony Don Meredith jersey a few auctions back. When I emailed my concerns, two guys called me back and proceeded to harangue me for 20 minutes--warning me not to interfere with the auction or knock them on this site.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
            Banned
            • Oct 2009

Wow. I feel bad for the consigner thinking he had a Bob Gibson jacket and it turns out to be Paul's. What are the odds of two guys with the same last name wearing the same number in the same decade? Crazy.

Comment

• Doodles
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
              Wow. I feel bad for the consigner thinking he had a Bob Gibson jacket and it turns out to be Paul's. What are the odds of two guys with the same last name wearing the same number in the same decade? Crazy.
              Perhaps Paul picked number 45 because when he was a kid his friends called him Bob and he thought it was cool...or maybe Charlie Samuels was thinking ahead to when he could sell the stuff as Bob Gibson's so he gave Paul the same number.

Comment

• Mark17
                • May 2006

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                I have a similar situation. I collect GU Twins bats from the 1962-65 period mostly, and a few years ago was able to purchase a block letter, H&B George Banks, that he used while playing for Cleveland in '64-'66. Turns out, Banks wore #14 and the number is written on the knob. It is also a model S2, 35".

So, I have a mid-1960s game used bat, S2, 35", vintage #14 on the knob, and "BANKS" on the barrel. Basically, it matches Ernie Bank's shipping records exactly, same uniform number and name. Only difference is that Ernie's bats at that time were signature models.

Comment

• Mark17
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by trsent
                  Cool find.

Here's another embarrassment for them:

A CIRCA 1980's Twins Rod Carew cap. Carew's last year as a Twin was 1978.

Can't they do even basic research on these items?

Comment

Working...