Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the warmest temp you keep your house during the winter w/o ruining Jerseys?

Now that it's getting colder outside I've been using the heater more but want to make sure I don't keep it too warm in my closet where I keep the game used memorabilia. Is there a special container to keep it in as well? I was thinking of buying an acid free box. Warm temp doesn't affect the acid free boxes, do they? Thanks!

Re: What's the warmest temp you keep your house during the winter w/o ruining Jerseys?

Our temperature NEVER goes above 72...even in the winter. That's what blankets and heating pads are for!

Re: What's the warmest temp you keep your house during the winter w/o ruining Jerseys?

Maximum is 64.7 F. Anything higher and your game worn items will be destroyed. Unless, you use Reflectix lined boxes. Then you can add another 3.6 degrees for every layer of Reflectix. Make sure you don't reverse the Relectix. The insulating properties are lost if you wrap your items "inside out".

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Our temperature NEVER goes above 72...even in the winter. That's what blankets and heating pads are for!
    Wow, seriously? I've been keeping it at 75-77 b/c I have little ones in the house that get sick with colder temps. My 2 year old hates blankets for some reason! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Maximum is 64.7 F. Anything higher and your game worn items will be destroyed. Unless, you use Reflectix lined boxes. Then you can add another 3.6 degrees for every layer of Reflectix. Make sure you don't reverse the Relectix. The insulating properties are lost if you wrap your items "inside out".

64.7? Yikes! Do people actually keep their homes that cold?!? I've never heard of those reflectix lined boxes. Thanks for the input. If I get them I'll probably have to have 4-5 layers since I keep my home warm. Thanks again!

Yup...my man cave is a good 8-10 degrees cooler than the upstairs of the house, so that works out good.

I'd just like to know where that number - 64.7 degrees - comes from and is their any data to back it up?

I ask, because if it is factual, then I can imagine museums in the South and Southwest must have astronomical air conditioning bills when it's over 100 degrees outside and it would feel like a freezer inside at those temps.

That just seems pretty cool to me. Also I would question the statement that your Game Used will be destroyed. Over what kind of time period are we talking here?

There are plenty of GU items from the 20's and 30's that look awesome that I am pretty certain haven't been stored at 64.7 degrees for all these years and I'm fairly certain that Reflectix boxes haven't been around that long either.

Just my observations.

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Yup...my man cave is a good 8-10 degrees cooler than the upstairs of the house, so that works out good.
    I don't have a basement so whatever the temp is in the house for the most part that's what it is throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    I'd just like to know where that number - 64.7 degrees - comes from and is their any data to back it up?

I ask, because if it is factual, then I can imagine museums in the South and Southwest must have astronomical air conditioning bills when it's over 100 degrees outside and it would feel like a freezer inside at those temps.

That just seems pretty cool to me. Also I would question the statement that your Game Used will be destroyed. Over what kind of time period are we talking here?

There are plenty of GU items from the 20's and 30's that look awesome that I am pretty certain haven't been stored at 64.7 degrees for all these years and I'm fairly certain that Reflectix boxes haven't been around that long either.

Just my observations.

- Smitty
    Thanks for the input Smitty. What temp do you keep it at if you don't mind me asking? It seems like your collection is in a basement as well?

All i know is that if I had half the collections some of the guys on here have I would not be storing them in metal lined boxed in my closet. Why is it that some people have collections & store them in closets? Unless its a real artifact like a ruth or mantle just display it for all to see. What is the use of having all this 80's to present day game used stuff that is flooding the market and storing it in boxes....

I display all my stuff & it is a great conversation piece even if they are not sports fans.

Just my two cents.

I do not set the thermostat above 68 degrees. It is a little cooler in the basement then the upper two floors. For the summer, I have a de-humidifier in the basement.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post

Sir,
    Your post is irresponsible and gives misleading information to the honest members of this forum. The "inside out" method that you speak of has been proven time and time again as a mere "urban legend". Please do your homework before you make such outlandish claims.