Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Unhappy Cardinals Hurler Bob Forsch Dies Unexpectedly

Bob Forsch, the author of two no-hitters who also threw out the first pitch at last Friday's Game 7 of the WS, died unexpectedly yesterday at the age of 61

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html

RIP

Re: Cardinals Hurler Bob Forsch Dies Unexpectedly

I am crushed at Bob's passing. When I was in eighth grade, Bob visited my grade school (an hour's drive from St. Louis) to speak to the kids and sign autographs. I still have my signed postcard. I think our principal was an acquaintance of Bob's. Tough to imagine a player today driving that far, by himself, for no pay.

A couple years later, my dad and I sat with 11,493 other people in the bitter cold watching Forschie toss his first no-hitter. I once told Bob I was there that day and he joked that 100,000 must have been there because he'd heard that from so many people. Then I whipped out two ticket stubs and a scorecard, which he graciously signed. Bob threw the only two 9-inning no-hitters in the history of Busch Stadium II. I didn't see the second one in person, but I have three stubs from the game.

Bob took pride in his ability as a hitter and always had to swing his bats anytime I asked him to sign one. Bob used a heavy, 36" R161 -- an absolute log. I told him more than once that he'd have hit .300 with a normal bat. He always laughed.

Bob was a wonderful guy, always approachable, always friendly. I saw him a week ago today, throwing out the first pitch before game 7 of the World Series. Could never have guessed it would be the last time. He will be missed greatly in Cardinals Nation.

I saw him outside the stadium at game 7 and he signed a ball for me a put both no hitter dates on it. He was very nice and even chatted with us.
    RIP Mr. Forsch.

Similar thing happened to a Congresswoman I knew. About the same age too. These things are really sad, especially to be taken away from us at such a young age. That's great that you guys have such good memories of the guy. Sounds like a good human being.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I do not remember if I met him as a kid or not. We lived in St. Pete 38 years. The first year I can remember going to Al Lang Field in St. Pete, FL for Spring Training was 1974. I still have the media guide & buttons my dad bought me at the concession stands. 1974 was Bob's rookie year. I think I did meet him before, but I do not remember. I will have to look through some pics my dad took.

Prayers to his family.

RIP Bob!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Banned

wow so shocking. does anyone know what the cause was? the article i read said it was uncertain.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    wow so shocking. does anyone know what the cause was? the article i read said it was uncertain.
    At the time I heard it was a brain anuerism although I'm not sure if that has been confirmed or not...

According to his wife it was an aneurysm in the upper chest.