Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New scam -- forged sidewriting on vintage bats

I knew it would only be a matter of time before we would start seeing it. We have already had to deal with forged autographs, contrived game-use, sewing creativity on jerseys, and undisclosed repairs on items. It now appears that some unscrupulous individuals are obtaining legitimate early blank-barreled bats, and placing their own H&B factory "sidewriting" on them. A couple of "stars" are on e-bay right now. The handwriting style, placement, and instrument used do not appear consistent with any examples I have ever seen. While these forgeries are laughable to the majority of vintage bat collectors, the sellers of these bats are marketing them in a way as to deceive buyers, but have chosen their verbage very carefully in their descriptions.

What bothers me the most is not that the bats are being sold, but the fact that some very nice vintage bats had to be ruined in the process. What a shame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Re: New scam -- forged sidewriting on vintage bats

Marcus,

I saw a Joe Jackson bat that I questioned with respect to this issue - is this one of the bats to which you are referring.

Thanks for your post.
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

What about the Joe Sewell bat on ebay? It is froma reputable source, but it has name etched, it just says Joe sewell and some date. How can you tell if this was an actual bat used to make Joe Sewells bats?

Brian B

Reid,

I didn't name names yet because I am awaiting responses from the sellers per forum rules, but you are on the right track.

Brian,

The Sewell bat is a great bat, and not one of the ones in question. As a general rule, I don't question anything that Left Field Collectibles/Art Jaffe is selling. Art is one of the most knowledgeable and honest guys in the business. Art has forgotten more about vintage bats than most of us could ever strive to know. The handwriting on the Sewell bat is consistent with other H&B factory bats. Some of the lathe and master bats do not have any stampings on them, as they were not being prepared for player use, only for internal usage in reproducing those player model bats. The bats that Art has originated from the H&B factory "find", so the source is as good as it gets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    What about the Joe Sewell bat on ebay? It is froma reputable source, but it has name etched, it just says Joe sewell and some date. How can you tell if this was an actual bat used to make Joe Sewells bats?

Brian B
    Brian and Marcus,

Would you please post (or email me) the link to the Sewell bat? I could not find it. Thank you.

And Marcus, thanks for your responses.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Never mind. Found it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Bat-joe-...mZ270014938155

Marcus,

Is this a gamer? Interesting bat. Side-writing but no factory markings at all ... a homemade bat, I presume.

Reid

Reid,

I can't tell without seeing the ends of the bat, but I do have some examples like this in my collection, with and without lathe "nubs" on the ends. All are unused and have no stamping on them, just sidewriting. H&B used these as "masters" for creating new bats for the player sidewritten on the master. I am fairly certain that they were produced internally by H&B just for this purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you are correct--someone just spent A LOT of money for about a $100.00 to $200.00 bat! Best offer of $3200.00 plus was just taken.

Banned

Well I would say that bat is worth a lot more then $100 to $200. I have seen lathe bats go for very high, not to mention vintage Yankees bats.

In reference to that Joe Jackson bat---in addition to noting the anomaloous side writing, I checked the seller's feedback transactions and found that the seller bought a dash--dot--dash LS bat back on Aug. 6 that looks a lot like the Jackson bat---except it didn't seem to have any sidewriting back then. If only every suspicious item were so easy to trace. Mark.