Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: A.L. & N.L. MVP award

Well Ellsbury didnt win, so doesn't matter.

Plus how does he win it hands down. Ellsbury barely beat out the others and who says all of Verlanders votes would have gone to him. Continue dreaming in red sox land.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Plus how does he win it hands down. Ellsbury barely beat out the others and who says all of Verlanders votes would have gone to him. Continue dreaming in red sox land.
    Not really dreaming in Red Sox land.... just looking at how the votes were cast. Of the 28 voters, 13 gave 1st place votes to Verlander and Ellsbury received 13 2nd place votes. I'm no math wizard, but if Verlander wasn't a candidate, most likely Ellsbury would have received a similar high percentage of the first place votes instead. In that case, anything is possible, but not probable!

I was surprised how far down the list Cabrera was.

BTW, Why do they have a voting tier (ranked voting) instead of a plurality vote, where the voter simply writes in the single player he thinks is the MVP?

My guess is that it has to do with fodder for evaluating players so we can say for example he placed second or third four times, etc. and that probably factors into contract value.

Am I mistaken? What else factors in?

PS - And I agree that pitchers should not be eligible for the MVP unless and until they have a separate award for Best Hitter/Position Player comparable to the Cy Young Award.