Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: We ARE State Penn

So I would say it's mostly an organizational thing, and how members are beholden to the organization. Many individuals acted poorly (and sometimes perhaps criminally) in order to protect the organization and it's brand.

A question I have is why did Sandusky, one of the most popular and celebrated assistant coaches in Penn State history, retire (or otherwise leave his position as coach) in 1999 at the age of only 55. This in light of that one of the main events took place in 1998, the year before. 55 seems awfully young to retire as coach, in particular when his position, team and head coach were all in good standing.

Also note that it was often said Sandusky was positioned to take over as head coach when Paterno returned-- and Paterno approved of this line of succession. This more so makes his 1999 retirement interesting.

P.s. I don't know exactly why he retired and am not claiming to. I just think it's an interesting question in light of events.

I meant retired not returned

Banned

I believe that the FBI questioned Sandusky in 1998 about a reported child abuse case.

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    Wouldn't a normal person ask if the person they told if they called the police?
    This whole thing smells like a huge coverup.

Joe said today that he will do everything he can to help the University after he retires. How about helping the victims?
    I'm afraid some do not understand the climate at certain institutions of higher learning. If someone would have reported the charges to the police, the police report would likely have caused a scandal and the person who ratted him out may have had personal and professional consequences. At certain universities, it is not the wrongdoers who are perceived as the problems, but those who squeal on them to the police or to outside authorities. By not reporting it, those involved were likely hoping it would go away. However, these things don't go away; they just get buried until people eventually find out the ugly truth.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So I would say it's mostly an organizational thing, and how members are beholden to the organization. Many individuals acted poorly (and sometimes perhaps criminally) in order to protect the organization and it's brand.
    Exactly. Penn State is not unique in this regard, nor is this kind of thing limited to universities.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Also note that it was often said Sandusky was positioned to take over as head coach when Paterno returned-- and Paterno approved of this line of succession. This more so makes his 1999 retirement interesting.

P.s. I don't know exactly why he retired and am not claiming to. I just think it's an interesting question in light of events.

My father in law is as avid a PSU fan as exists. I remember having this conversation with him in 99 when Sandusky announced his retirement. Your right the guy is 55 years old and make no mistake about it is only a rung under Paterno in terms of legendary status after at the time what appeared to be a steller and highly regarded 32 year coaching career the last 22 of which were spent as the D Coordinator at PSU. He is considered widely to be the man that shut down the highly regarded Georgia running game in the 82 National championship with some guy named Walker at that position and also shut down the vaulted 86 Miami Hurricanes in the National Championship game with some guy named Testaverde at QB and Irvin at WR.

There was a great deal of speculation about this 12 years ago which ranged from he was not going to succeed Paterno and decided to retire as he was told this by Joe himself, to Jerry saying he wanted to spend more time in his Second Mile Charity, to speculation that Joe wanted to go a different direction with the defense for whatever reason.

Based on what has now happened at PSU, I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility and speculation that maybe PSU and administration did have some advance notice of what was going on after the 98 incident and decided to send this guy packing.

That is certainly all speculation at this point but if that is true in any way, how pathetic that they would send this guy packing from the team basically saying don't blemish the program commit your crimes elsewhere.

There are so many failings here it is impossible to grasp how this has spiraled so out of control.

For those of us who have followed PSU football for decades to one degree or another, it just seems beyond the realm of possibility that a cover up to this degree would have gone the entire way up to the President's office.

This is just a complete failure on so many levels that it is difficult to imagine this getting cleaned up for years.

Jeb

A question I have is why did Sandusky, one of the most popular and celebrated assistant coaches in Penn State history, retire (or otherwise leave his position as coach) in 1999 at the age of only 55. This in light of that one of the main events took place in 1998, the year before. 55 seems awfully young to retire as coach, in particular when his position, team and head coach were all in good standing.

As a follow-up to my last post, the speculation was in 99 that Sandusky was not going to succeed Paterno for several reasons one of which was that Joe was already at a point where he had zero intention of retiring anytime soon and if he was planning to go another 5 -8 years PSU would certainly not promote a coach to head coach at 60 - 63 years of age as their first career head coaching job.

The question was at that point, why would this guy not go elsewhere. Again, he was a career PSU guy 32 years there but certainly qualified to be a head coach at numerous large institutions based on his years of experience at one of the top 10 football programs in the country.

Nobody seemed to really know and I don't think really that too many people gave it a second thought.

I think everyone is just in total shock as I have heard nothing from anyone that would have suggested that anyone had any idea that this guy Sandusky was allegedly involved in such heinous behavior. ESPN has been interviewing numerous guys that were players and later friends with Sandusky including former Lion All American Matt Millen who has said this is beyond comprehension as he has known Sandusky for over 35 years and never would have imagined anything possible like this.

My father in law lives about 20 miles from State College PA and has told me that he has never once in 40 years living there heard any speculation about Sandusky prior to all of this coming out.

He is just in total shock as is I think the entire community. Whatever was coming out in these 98 and 02 investigations must have been kept pretty close to the vest as it just seems like nobody was really aware of any of this in the community at large.

Jeb

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I believe that the FBI questioned Sandusky in 1998 about a reported child abuse case.

How is this story for odd.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...trictattorneys

Those defending Paterno are asking why we ever even reached the 2002 incidents as this should have been put to bed by the police and prosecutors when first reported in 98.

Jeb