Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: We ARE State Penn

This is far from over.

Funny you bring this up about how this happened because I thought the same thing. Paterno wins his 409th game and then all of a sudden this comes out (Reminded me of Rafael Palmeiro and just getting 3000 hits). I personally feel that Governor Tom Corbett (who was the PA Attorney General until his election to Governor in Nov. 2010 and became Governor in Jan. 2011) is the person that ultimately wanted Joe Paterno to get fired. It is a very sad situation and I am sure more info will be coming out. Whether "firing" Joe Paterno is the best option is up for many to debate, but it clearly does not solve anything. I do not like how this ended, but as Joe Paterno has said is that in hindsight, he could have done more about the situation.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MarkakisMania View Post
    Is it also just coincidence that all of this information comes out literally one week to the day after Paterno wins game #409 to pass Eddie Robinson for the most wins in the history of Division I football?

Maybe, maybe not, but somewhat strange that Paterno wins that game and then all of a sudden a three year investigation wraps up and all of this hits the fan.

Could the PA DA have been sitting on this stuff until that point or is just worked out that way?

I know across PA I am told this question is being raised.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    Funny you bring this up about how this happened because I thought the same thing. Paterno wins his 409th game and then all of a sudden this comes out (Reminded me of Rafael Palmeiro and just getting 3000 hits). I personally feel that Governor Tom Corbett (who was the PA Attorney General until his election to Governor in Nov. 2010 and became Governor in Jan. 2011) is the person that ultimately wanted Joe Paterno to get fired. It is a very sad situation and I am sure more info will be coming out. Whether "firing" Joe Paterno is the best option is up for many to debate, but it clearly does not solve anything. I do not like how this ended, but as Joe Paterno has said is that in hindsight, he could have done more about the situation.

Chris
    Everyone says they wish they could have done more after they get caught. He had 13 years to do more. He didn't do anything at the time to protect his program. Try recruiting players to a school where the former defensive coordinator was molesting children in the showers the players use.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Everyone says they wish they could have done more after they get caught. He had 13 years to do more. He didn't do anything at the time to protect his program. Try recruiting players to a school where the former defensive coordinator was molesting children in the showers the players use.
    The timing where all of this information is coming out may have been better at the end of the regular season. Rioting has taken place, plenty of news media attention when the season is still going on, some people's opinion is that Joe Paterno never saw it and should not have been fired, etc. The problem is that people are focusing on Paterno getting fired, not the real problem in the case.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    He didn't do anything at the time to protect his program.
    I disagree. I think that was the only concern and that's why it was swept under the rug by everyone, including the investigators back in 1998.

My theory is Paterno knew about Sandusky back in 1998/1999 and that's why he was let go. I mean come on...how can Sandusky bring children (who aren't his) along on team trips to bowl games, etc. and no one knew anything until the shower incident in 2002. And then how can Paterno never confront Sandusky about the shower incident. This is the football locker room/shower. Its not like its a random shower in a dorm across campus. You are the football coach, your former DC is caught raping a 10 year old boy in the football shower and you don't even ask him what the f*ck is going on.

I got a feeling the worst is yet to come.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    The timing where all of this information is coming out may have been better at the end of the regular season.
    Yes. This has to be very traumatic for the football team and the entire student body. Their football coach being fired will cause great emotional damage for years to come.
    GO LIONS.

For BTPH...

This was a long-time, widespread cover-up, in which friendship and concern over a university's "reputation" apparently trumped any concern whatever over the welfare and safety of children.

Now, as almost invariably, eventually happens, when cover-ups are disclosed, the personal reputations of those involved in the cover-up - yes, even including the sainted Paterno - and of the football program and university are, quite deservedly, lower than whaleshit.

Less than zero sympathy for anyone who even suspected what was happening, years ago, and did nothing but pass the buck and act dumb. If the school had any class or integrity they'd start taking down that statue of Paterno they've got on-campus right now; they can't guard it (or him) forever.

It looks like Penn State isn't the first team to ignore/cover-up something like this:

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...ing-pain-today

My question about Paterno is, knowing what he knew, what did he think of Sandusky continuing to work for a charity for boys? Did he alert the charity or did he let it go?

THis whole thing kind of stinks to high heaven.