Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ethics on asking for photo match help....do you agree?

I'm kinda new to this whole photomatching thing. I am new here but been on the online community for a long time. I asked for some help in photomatching for my jersey as the photos i looked for had 2 people come to me to help. If i was looking to sell then i would have no problem compensating them.If its a personal item then if you and the other come to an agreement to give them money than thats up to them i think. If they tell you upfront they need said amount than at least you can say thanks or no thanks.
    I would love to be able to do it myself but alot of sites you have to have a comercial account or cost 200+ for 1 photo you cant even print out.

Sorry if this seems like i'm rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    Personally, I feel that if the seller uses those photo matches that were obtained for "free" and makes a profit selling that particular item, that he or she should send some compensation to the person who found the match as they spent their time and put some effort into helping that person out.
    I agree with you that compensating the person that found the match is the courteous way to go. However, I'm not sure if it is obligatory. If the photomatch can be found in a matter of minutes, and then the person decides to sell it, I don't think it's much of an issue. Nor do I think the person photomatching needs to be compensated in this case. What I object to is someone constantly soliciting free help just for profits' sake.

If someone is constantly asking for photomatch help and is doing this only for resell purposes, then I think that a fee is a good idea. However, why does it always have to fall on the person asking for the match to set the price? I think a lot of problems could be eliminated if those doing the matching charge an hourly fee. Then that eliminates any expectation that you are doing someone a favor and that that person will thus hold on to the item.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Bobby:

I am 100% in agreement with you. That's one of the reasons I stopped setting up at shows...I got tired of sellers and collectors refusing to even look at my sales items but coming by for my "blessing" on an item they bought from someone else. Hell, around 1990, I actually had some troll follow me into the men's room at the old St. Louis Holiday Inn show to ask me what I thought of his purchase. I can chuckle about it now, but at the time, it angered and frustrated me enough to consider leaving the hobby.

Dave Miedema
    Instead of becoming angry, just charge a fee for your advice. All you have to do is say $50 per hour - or whatever your price may be - for jersey authentication. Make a sign and put it at your table.

Otherwise, people might just assume that you like giving the advice, and therefore, they feel free to ask you to "give your blessing" on, say, a jersey. Even if it is in the men's room.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

I don't know much about photo-matching. In my collecting career the only jersey I have matched is an Adrian Peterson that had such huge dirt stains on the numbers that a five year old could have matched it. If I were to ask one of you guys for help I would expect to pay you for it. When I do work I don't do it for free nor do I expect anyone else to. Everyone's time is valuable and they deserve to be compensated for it. My feelings are the same whether the jersey is going to be flipped or held because eventually everyone's stuff will be sold be it next week or 50 years from now.

Banned

Just say no.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Ethics on asking for photo match help....do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Instead of becoming angry, just charge a fee for your advice. All you have to do is say $50 per hour - or whatever your price may be - for jersey authentication. Make a sign and put it at your table.

Otherwise, people might just assume that you like giving the advice, and therefore, they feel free to ask you to "give your blessing" on, say, a jersey. Even if it is in the men's room.
    These days, I generally don't offer examinations at shows...but less because of feeling used and more because of not having my computer files with me at shows. With the advancements in forgery and proliferation of pro-cuts, in many if not most cases, photo referencing is a must. Plus, now that I'm not investing in a show table and not making expenses while being approached for opinions, the occasional inquiry doesn't rub me the wrong way like it once did. If someone wants a written LOA, though, I charge a fee...no ifs ands or buts.

Dave Miedema