Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Chicago Tribune JOSports Article

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    It was more of a "everybody has done dishonest things and I'm not so self-righteous that I write people off who have engaged in shady behavior".....because that would be everybody. You have....I have.
    As long as you're square with me, I'm not concerned about your past.
    Ok thats great now how many federal cases do you have against you or how many times have you have plead guilty to home invasions? Because you are comparing fraud to a child stealing candy. Whats next comparing an falling accident to murder?

And I have never committed shady behavior neither now or yesterday, espically none faking jerseys and robbing collectors. But its good to know you have done "shady stuff" in some form. I guess we I know who to avoid when dealing with.

Also if you stole candy when you where a kid, did you do it for 4 years like JO and others? Or did you do it maybe 2 or 3 times?

If someone is straight with me I will be cool also. But here is the problem they WHERE NOT straight forward as a matter of fact it took a federal case to bring this to light. So if anything the feds are being straight and JO has been hiding this crap for years now.

As for stealing candy as a kid, that's why we have these nice and friendly juvenile court systems to teach and explain things to kids. Sometimes kid's don't really know any better or have the self restraint.

I am not thinking that the federal courthouse will be so kind to these guys...

The comparison is almost like talking of a bunch of mob beat downs and then saying, "what? like you've never hit your little brother?".

Banned

I think if JO is terminated by all of these teams there will be a lack of jerseys on the market. Alot of teams don't want to bother with marketing and selling them themselves it is much easier to let a middleman do it. The teams that do like the Saints and Packers do so on a very limited basis that does not really satisfy the collector. To start a company that could get team deals takes alot of capital, marketing skill and I think alot of teams will be cautious about partnering with another unknown. Who had heard of Jarrod or JO before they got the team deals? I know I hadn't. So I see why some people are willing to look past JO did here from a selfish perspective they have enhanced alot of collections and noone is accussing them with regard to the team deals.

Chicago Tribune followed up with this...
    www.chicagotribune.com/news/tribnation/chi-not-so-authentic-nfl-memorabilia-sold-to-bears-among-others-20111214,0,2199400.story
    chicagotribune.com

How we reported a story on sports memorabilia

By Jared Hopkins
    9:45 AM CST, December 14, 2011

In the Chicago Tribune this week, we report that the exclusive partner to the Chicago Bears for fans to purchase game-used jerseys – those worn by players on the field – is owned by a man with tainted credentials in the memorabilia world.

Jarrod Oldridge pleaded guilty last month to federal charges stemming from four years of doctoring jerseys and profiting illegally by selling them. Oldridge, 37, faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
    The episode is yet another reminder of the risk when buying expensive memorabilia. The jerseys worn in games by today’s athletes can fetch thousands of dollars; scuffs, stains, tears and other marks of use often drive up the jerseys’ value.

When the Tribune learned the Bears were one of the teams still doing business with Oldridge’s Las Vegas-based company, JO Sports, I began combing through the federal court records. Some of the methods Oldridge employed when he doctored jerseys are described by federal authorities in the records, including his plea agreement. The records allege he altered jerseys by "roughening, scuffing, washing, dirtying" and changing the appearance. Sometimes he’d remove player names from one jersey and put them on another. Jerseys were accompanied by false certificates of authenticity. There is potential for more information to come out when Oldridge is sentenced in May or if he testifies in the related cases (five others are charged).

To put the documents and the legal troubles in context, I spoke to about two dozen people, including collectors, authenticators, dealers and auction houses. I also tracked down the other teams JO Sports contracts with. I talked to the previous company the Bears partnered with to learn how that company’s deal was structured. Meanwhile, the Internet has helped fuel the interest in sports memorabilia, and there are hosts of forums dedicated to the hobby and a growing number of individuals aimed at exposing fraud.

No single entity regulates sports memorabilia. While federal authorities have conducted several investigations into memorabilia fraud, it remains an industry prone to deception and scams. We found the legal troubles didn't cost Oldridge’s company its contract with the Bears; a team spokesman said the criminal activity covered a period before they partnered in 2008. But at least two other NFL teams – the New York Giants and the Baltimore Ravens – are moving to sever ties with the Las Vegas company.
    -- Jared Hopkins
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

This thread is sponsored by Topps, makers of this beautiful Eddie Murray game-used card.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Why is everyone on here so d*mn negative to each other? Isn't this forum a place to help and educate one another not belittle and degrade everyones views and items?

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post
    Why is everyone on here so d*mn negative to each other? Isn't this forum a place to help and educate one another not belittle and degrade everyones views and items?
    Cosign to that. That's why I mostly lurk and hardly ever post, because the tone has been so counterproductive lately. I'm just trying to learn about things here, not start debates.

In memory of "game used" pioneer George Martin Lyons, I hope this guy and his compatriots get hard time. A couple of years at Lewisburg would provide a strong deterrent to future forgers. It is the only way stop these crimes!

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post
    Cubbs1232, thanks for bringing this up. I have been hammering on this for the past two months deleting posts, entire threads and trying to remind people that if their post does not meet the minimum criteria of an effort to "bring collectors together and help hobbyists educate eachother" it will be deleted.

Most of us are adults, and we need to start acting like it. As members we should take some responsiblity for what we write. Just because someone else says something ingorant, mean-spirited, baiting, etc. it is not an excuse to respond the same way. I am sick and tired of the personal attacks, baiting, etc. and will no longer tolerate it as a moderator. If you don't have something useful to say, please do not say anything at all.