Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: We ARE State Penn

Retirement at the end of the season? Bullshit. He should be fired today.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Retirement at the end of the season? Bullshit. He should be fired today.
    Agreed. Anyone who knew about this and failed to alert the authorities should be fired. Not at the end of the season, not Friday, IMMEDIATELY!!!

I am not a Penn State alumnus or fan, but I am embarrassed and angry as a parent and human that swift action hasn't taken place.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Papa Joe is running the show. On his terms.

I would say if Paterno told the Athletic Director and the AD told the police, then that would be fine. In general, I say as long as someone told the the police. But no one did, which may something about the organization.

Banned

Wouldn't a normal person ask if the person they told if they called the police?
    This whole thing smells like a huge coverup.

Joe said today that he will do everything he can to help the University after he retires. How about helping the victims?

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    Wouldn't a normal person ask if the person they told if they called the police?
    This whole thing smells like a huge coverup.

Joe said today that he will do everything he can to help the University after he retires. How about helping the victims?
    I'm afraid some do not understand the climate at certain institutions of higher learning. If someone would have reported the charges to the police, the police report would likely have caused a scandal and the person who ratted him out may have had personal and professional consequences. At certain universities, it is not the wrongdoers who are perceived as the problems, but those who squeal on them to the police or to outside authorities. By not reporting it, those involved were likely hoping it would go away. However, these things don't go away; they just get buried until people eventually find out the ugly truth.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I'm afraid some do not understand the climate at certain institutions of higher learning. If someone would have reported the charges to the police, the police report would likely have caused a scandal and the person who ratted him out may have had personal and professional consequences. At certain universities, it is not the wrongdoers who are perceived as the problems, but those who squeal on them to the police or to outside authorities. By not reporting it, those involved were likely hoping it would go away. However, these things don't go away; they just get buried until people eventually find out the ugly truth.
    Oh, I understand the climate all right. Like I said, a normal person, not some jerk who believes the institute of higher learning is more important than innocent children.
    I would live on the street and eat dog food before I would allow a child to be raped. Too bad these gentlemen of higher learning don't have morals.
    My grandpa used to tell me that people can be over educated to the point that your common sence is lost.
    I have learned in my life that grandpa was right.

Banned

sense I mean. I am not over educated, obviously.

So I would say it's mostly an organizational thing, and how members are beholden to the organization. Many individuals acted poorly (and sometimes perhaps criminally) in order to protect the organization and it's brand.

A question I have is why did Sandusky, one of the most popular and celebrated assistant coaches in Penn State history, retire (or otherwise leave his position as coach) in 1999 at the age of only 55. This in light of that one of the main events took place in 1998, the year before. 55 seems awfully young to retire as coach, in particular when his position, team and head coach were all in good standing.