Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Orioles Alternates non-existant?

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24
    1) Bigtime: I've posted a pic below of the Orioles 1995 BP, Road, and Home jerseys. I can't see a difference in the script from the Universal Rarities jersey. Can you point out the differences?

2) I agree; the '8' is slightly too square. Mostly the inside circles of the '8'

3) I have photo evidence that in 1996 and 1997 the Orioles wore black Alternates with sleeve piping only. (In 1997, they added the Jackie Robinson patch to the black Alternates). I can't find a single image of them wearing Alternates in 1995. I do have photo evidence of them in 1995 wearing 2-button BP-type black jerseys with no piping anywhere.

Does anyone have any pic at all of an Oriole in 1995 wearing an Alternate jersey with any piping?

Rudy.
    Rudy:
    Size, and slant are crucial here. Actual 1995 Orioles jerseys, like those you have pictured above, and like the one I posted, have the "Orioles" script pretty much straight up. The "i" and middle "o" in Orioles are the same size. "es" appears taller than the other letters in Orioles. Cut is nice and smooth, and the middle "o" is nicely rounded. 1996 jerseys featured this script, but the cut was much cruder, especially in the middle "o". That problem was cleared up in 1997. 1995 and 1996 jerseys were shipped piped, and the team removed the piping. You can almost always find residue of the braid behind the letters. The cut of the "r' is much softer than on the jersey up for auction. Note that, if on the same plane, the "ri" is taller than the middle "o". Now note how narrow and slanted "oles" is on the alleged Ripken jersey, compared to your photos.
    Now, for the REALLY BAD news. Between late 1996 and 1999, the Orioles played many games with players on the field wearing TWO DIFFERENT UNIFORM VARIATIONS in both the home, road, and black kits!!!!! To do this justice, I'd have to sit down, prepare something in word, and paste the thing in here, and I won't have time for that before the first of the year. For now, you'll just have to take my word for it...it was a mess.

Re: Queston For Rob Steinmetz - Ripken Jersey

It seems relatively obvious based upon well documented input from well versed forum members that this Ripken jersey is probably NOT legit. I have searched all over for any photos of O's wearing these alternates with piping down the front and have come up empty.

Jersey is pushing the $5k price point!

If questionable jerseys like this go for these astronomical prices we'll never get the hobby in shape and it will only promote more "wrongs"

Re: Queston For Rob Steinmetz - Ripken Jersey

If I kept records of this stuff (and if I did I would probably have to shoot myself from sheer frustration!) my suspicion that this jersey started out with shsandrs on eBay, went to the current consignor, picked up a bogus certification on the way, is now at UR, and is about to wind up in the hands of someone with more money than knowledge of Orioles jerseys could be proved. I don't keep records of this stuff, so all I have is the smell coming off this jersey...oh, the smell...