X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kellsox
    • Jan 2006

Re: Congratulations, Rich!

Originally posted by coxfan
    To me, a game-used ball is an artifact (a unique, 1/1 piece of the event), rather than a "souvenir" (a mass-produced item in the shops.) As a artifact, it's analogous to getting a letter that was signed by a US President, a rare book, or a prehistoric fossil, because all are actual pieces of history. And if you get a rare letter or fossil, nobody yells "give it to the kid" or "throw it back"!

Ball-chasing is also a sport in itself, because it gives the same uncertainty of success that's inherent in all games and sports. Baseball fans are lucky because we get to keep our artifacts. My wife and I go to all the womens' basketball games at the University of South Carolina, and always sit right by the floor. I'm happy whenever I can get my hands on the game ball, though I have to throw it to the official; it's like a game within a game. A few weeks ago, I was watching a women's soccer game here ( Our team's now advanced to the top 32) and the ball bounced into the stands right into my lap! (front row again). That was fun for me, though I had to throw it right back.
    Your 1st paragraph is a stretch to say the least. I believe at least 12 dozen baseballs are prepped for use each game. Thats not even counting balls used for BP and warmups. Add to that 15games a night across the league for 162 games a season plus playoffs. More balls find there way into the stands than foam fingers are sold in the concessions.
    And I myself never understood grown men running around a stadium ( or in some cases, outside the stadium ) trying to get one of theseballs. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

• coxfan
      • Feb 2009

Kellsox, to each their own. My own preference is for a few balls from significant events. Last year, the Rangers won their first home postseason game in 50 seasons. I think the authenticated ball I own from that game (of only 55 authenticated) qualifies for "artifact" status. Apparently Nolan Ryan agrees, as he received the final ball from the same game.

There is plenty of room for different ways of doing things. I worked 33 years as a psychologist, and I emphasized to people, especially those with addictions or depression, the importance of choosing good, as opposed to bad, leisure habits. When I asked someone with alcohol dependence about his hobbies, almost all replies began with "I used to..".

I define a good hobby as one which stimulates mind and body,and promotes constructive social contact. Within that large definition,there are innumerable ways to enjoy life; including ballhawking.

Comment

• gingi79
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by godwulf
        When I see the kids and young (sometimes not so young) teenagers obsessively running from section to section, trying to snag every foul ball, I often want to say, "Why don't you try just watching the game for a change? You might like it." I might like to get a foul ball every once in a while, particularly if one of my favorite players hit it, but I stay in my section and wait for a ball to hit nearby; it doesn't matter how close I am, though - some greedy little punk kid, usually with a father egging them on, is sure to run over and either snatch it, or beg for it like a dog. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being a Baseball fan, does it? It's just the lure of "free stuff"
        In 32 seasons of going to pro games, I only once ever got a ball and it was thrown to me by a player in the bullpen. When I went to games as a kid, parents still taught their kids that you have to EARN things, being a child doesn't mean you deserve someone elses property. I was also taught words like "Thank you", "Please", "Ma'am" and "Sir"
        Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• sox83cubs84
          Banned
          • Apr 2009

The loudmouths that badger me after a grab to "give it to a kid" usually ensure by their interference that I don't give it to anybody. On the occasions that I do give it out, though, I'll pick out a kid 15 rows up who isn't by the field. This generally does not elicit much appreciation from the loudmouths, as their "give it to the kid" mantra usually translates to "give it to MY kid", or "give it to a kid I think should get it".

Kellsox, I understand that ballhawking isn't everyone's cup of tea. For those that do engage in it, though, it should be on their own terms, recognizing the law and common courtesy, and be for enjoyment first, profit second. Now that I no longer spend any time with the self-anointed gods of ballhawking on Waveland Avenue, I am enjoying it again to an extent I haven't in years.

Dave Miedema

Comment

Working...