Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Josh Hamilton Holy Grail

Good points, but I am not talking about what the current market bears. That is always going to be skewed by the current player's popularity or team he plays for (e.g., Nick Swisher - seriously?). Just because someone pays $$ for something, doesn't necessarily mean that paying that same price or something viewed as reasonable for another item that it was a good price. Why SHOULD a Hamilton bat or glove sell for $1000, $2000+? Because it can... that can't be a reason.

Hamilton is a terrific player, don't get me wrong. However, what happens is then people pay these prices now and then later when they're selling them, assuming Hamilton's value as a player hasn't changed, or potentially goes down, they try to recoup their investment and they can't because it's "Hamilton who?" and they get offers for less than half of what they paid. Why does an Eric Davis glove currently on eBay have a $2500 asking price?

But if you're a Hamilton fan and you really want something, then all the best to you and collect as freely as you wish. These are just my thoughts and not worth much to begin with.

Getting ANY Player GU glove for under $1,000.00 is a steal period.

Not because of popularity, etc - although that is obviously a major contributing factor.

Have any of you actually PRICED real Pro Model gloves? Hell, a 'good' softball glove at a major sports retailer will cost between $250-$300.

Some of the better PRO gloves start at near $1,500 and can go as high as $3,500 and up for Kangaroo Leather Pro Player Preferred, etc.

Rawlings, Mizuno, Wilson, etc know that players will pay good money for a glove - which is an INVESTMENT in their job.

I don't know where the 4-5 gloves a season number came from, but most MLB players use the SAME glove for years at a time. Some examples:

Troy Tulowitzki - Same glove he has used since 2007 per statements to the press from Troy.

Walt Weiss - the 'monster'. He was still using the same glove when he came to the Rockies that he used when he won the ROY in the AL for the Oakland A's! He just had it restrung every year or so

Jason Giambi - from all reports, he is still using the same glove he has used for years.

YES, players get new gloves each year from their respsective glove companies, but many of those will never see a playing field and will end up being given away as gifts.

Gloves - far and away - the single TOUGHEST GU item to obtain from most players.

Now, as far as hats... and I am a Hat Collector - is $650 to much? Maybe. But, next to gloves, one of the single MOST used pieces of equipment.

Like Gloves, many players wear the same Home and Road caps all year (except for special games - July 4th, etc) making them more scarce than Jerseys, Bats, Pants, etc.

I have a few hats that I have close to $400 into, so would I stretch that for a chance to own a Josh Hamilton VERIFIED GU WS Hat? Quite Possibly and I am now watching them both because of this thread...

Just my .02

- Smitty

Addendum -

For those who don't know, I did use to work for Rawlings and the Player Sales Rep for the Rockies brought by the PRO PLAYER PREFERRED Catalog one day for us to look at (not a catalog for the 'General Public'), and I remember almost spitting up my drink when I saw those prices in the catalog - YES, $1,500, $2,000, $3,500 and up to just shy of the $5,000 mark.

The better the leather, the better the lining, the better the quality, the higher the price...

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Hamilton is a terrific player, don't get me wrong. However, what happens is then people pay these prices now and then later when they're selling them, assuming Hamilton's value as a player hasn't changed, or potentially goes down, they try to recoup their investment and they can't because it's "Hamilton who?" and they get offers for less than half of what they paid. Why does an Eric Davis glove currently on eBay have a $2500 asking price?
    I really don't think it's ever going to be "Hamilton who?" Most people who follow the game of baseball know of Josh's incredible story of recovery from drug addiction and his perseverance through problems that many of us face. I also don't think fans will forget about Hamilton's performance in the Home Run Derby in New York. I doubt the value of his items is going down any time soon.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Now, as far as hats... and I am a Hat Collector - is $650 to much? Maybe. But, next to gloves, one of the single MOST used pieces of equipment.

Like Gloves, many players wear the same Home and Road caps all year (except for special games - July 4th, etc) making them more scarce than Jerseys, Bats, Pants, etc.

I have a few hats that I have close to $400 into, so would I stretch that for a chance to own a Josh Hamilton VERIFIED GU WS Hat? Quite Possibly and I am now watching them both because of this thread...
    Glad that the thread has piqued your interest. I don't have the money to buy a lot of the stuff, so I'm glad other forum members are interested in making a purchase or two. Good luck.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

frikativ54,

Agreed about Hamilton - a story and talent never to forget.

But if he doesn't make the HOF and eventually he's going to fade, I have to think his items will decrease in value - to what extent, I can't answer, but I brought up the Eric Davis glove just as an example. Hamilton is a better player than Davis, no question, but I recall Davis was highly touted, billed as one of the game's best all-around players, and was probably collected at some point. Is his glove worth $2500? I collect gloves and I can say based upon what I have paid and seen, for big name players too, I would never pay that much for an Eric Davis glove. I'd start at 1/3 that price, then work down.

Of course, I am not assuming a seller will get what he wants for an item, but the asking prices for some of these items leads me to believe that there is overvaluing (and past overpaying).

Perhaps I am way off base here, and maybe my opinion doesn't carry much weight with other collectors, but this is how I see it.

Good discussion nonetheless.

If I was a glove collector, I'd buy it, PERIOD. It should be noted that the MLB Authentication is for the signature though, and not the use.

ncb
    ------------------------------------------------
    Josh Hamilton gamers WANTED

NCBADGES@embarqmail.com

ACTS 4:10

Ive looked up a few of the MLB holo #'s on the auctions that say "game used/autographed" but none of them have authentication for the item being game used....only autographed. I wonder why that is?

I think AM makes a good point. It seems like the trend in g/u stuff is for stars who are playing right now. Look at a Nomar Garciaparra, he was realy good for a while but he will never make the hall. How collectible is his stuff? How much can a henderson, dawson, boggs bat be had for these days?
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Also, newyorknewyork beat me out for the hamilton batting helmet that was recently auctioned off.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington