Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

All-Star BP jerseys

I was a little bothered when I saw that Zane Burns is selling a Matt Wieters All-Star BP jersey (among many others) as game worn...

So I emailed him...

You're listing is mis-leading...

The jersey your selling is not the field worn version... I won that.

Hunt has always sold the autographed copy of the Jerseys.

Bert

I recieved the response back....

I totally disagree with you-I have been to every all-star game since 1993. Each player is given several of these shirts-Many players use more than one shirt for warm up-Batting practice-Home Run Derby-This lasts for many, many hours-Longer than a game-These shirts came from a MLB Source-right out of the locker room-Maybe you are just trying to protect your own jerseys? Some of these shirts were worn and some were issued to the players-It’s impossible to tell-Based upon a few hours-They are authentic-Money back if not satisfied-Regards-ZanebatsSo I sent...

Dear zanebats,

I am glad you get to go to the games... and I am not trying to protect my jersey... I am a fan thats why I bought mine... and the difference in the MLB authentication...

here is yours...

Session Name: 2011 ALL-STAR GAME WORKOUT DAY AND HOME RUN DERBY
    Session Date: July 11, 2011
    Autographer: MATT WIETERS
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
    Additional Information: AMERICAN LEAGUE ALL STAR BATTING PRACTICE JERSEY.

here is mine...

Autographer:
    Additional Information: AMERICAN LEAGUE BP JERSEY WORN BY MATT WIETERS, ALL-STAR HOME RUN DERBY 2011

Notice "WORN"...

and dont you think the markup is a little extreme... from 250 to 995?
    (the $250 was the cost at Hunt auctions)... and here is the next response

I understand and know all about them-but there are more than 2-And the players usually wear more than one-MLB authentication makes lots of errors on these(Over the years)-And it’s $995.00 or best offer-Has your been photomatched? ZaneI told him i did photomatch mine...

Is anyone else as bothered by this as I am??... I consider this a few of the cardinal sins of being a collector... 1) misrepresenation of a product 2) gouging a collector to make a huge profit

I have bought items from Zane before, and never had any problems, but I need to call him out on this.

Am I wrong?
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Re: All-Star BP jerseys

No, you're not, and here's why. I have the Weeks jersey from the Highland Mint. When I enter it into the MLB database, it comes up as game used jersey. I assume your Wieters jersey does as well. When you enter the eBay Wieters jersey into the MLB database, it comes up as autographed jersey. In other words, NOT game used. We all know that sometimes stuff is tagged as issued instead of worn in error, but autographed versus game used seems like a very sharp distinction here.

I do note that his listing says it was issued OR used, but I don't think that's good enough. It may indeed be an issued jersey but I don't think there's any way anyone could prove that for certain.

I just hope that anyone bidding on it would check the authentication number and ask a ton of questions, especially considering that he wants much more than the Highland Mint would have charged a buyer for an actual gamer in the first place.

I received the exact same response when I inquired about a Victor Martinez jersey he had listed for sale that came from Hunt Auctions. The jersey that was authenticated as game used and was cut up for cards.

He has the following Chris Perez jersey up right now that is the signed version:

Hologram number FJ744233 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under AUTOGRAPHED JERSEY.
    Session Product Description:

Autographer: CHRIS PEREZ
    Additional Information: AMERICAN LEAGUE ALL STAR BATTING PRACTICE JERSEY.

As opposed to the jersey I happen to own:

Hologram number FJ744266 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.
    Session Product Description:

Autographer:
    Additional Information: AMERICAN LEAGUE BP JERSEY WORN BY CHRIS PEREZ, ALL-STAR HOME RUN DERBY 2011

As far as the Wieters jersey, below is the description from when he bought the jersey from Hunt Auctions-

2011 Matt Wieters autographed American League All-Star Game Workout Day/Home Run Derby Jersey. Maroon polyester jersey has "American" team name lettered across the front and "Wieters" on back along with number "32."-Baltimore Orioles logo patch is affixed to the right sleeve with MLB All-Star Game logo patch on the left. Majestic label sewn on front tail and "Cool Base" and size 50 flag tags are affixed to the seam. Proper 0078 wash tag on interior. Signed on the back number in black marker rating 9 out of 10 with affixed MLB hologram FJ744230. Includes auction LOA from JSA: NM

If a seller believes the jerseys to be game used instead of just signed because of issues associated with MLB Authentication then they should disclose in the listing the existience of the set of jerseys for the same event that are authenticated as game worn and let the customers decide. Not disclosing that information when you know about the jerseys for the same event that are authenticated as used raises questions.

Im glad someone posted this as I was gping to when I got back off the road.

I too received the same exact email when I told him I own the Price which I got from highland. His descriptions are very misleading to say the least. as long as hes been in the bus. he knows they are issued at best but most likely signed authentics.

its a shame people do business like this.

Banned

He not only does this with jerseys but he also does this with bats sometimes. He had a questionable Gorman Thomas 1982 World Series bat he sold. You can do a search on here look up "Gorman Thomas 1982 Worls Series Bat". This isn't the first time he's done stuff like this. Sometime's his wording in his auctions don't make sense and make the items look like its something that it isn't. I have bought several things from him over the years that were great for my collection. You still have to do your home work it doesn't matter if the seller has been around for a long time or a short time. Also people do make mistakes.

You would think with the recent allegations against some of the dealers he would be more careful with the listings.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com