Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Is this ethical?

Quote Originally Posted by jessicawinters View Post
    The guy's ethics is warped. It's extreme. Does he know that cigararettes cause cancer? Beer and wine are intoxicants. How does he sleep at night without doing things help these poor people???
    Warped???

Quote Originally Posted by jessicawinters View Post
    The guy's ethics is warped. It's extreme. Does he know that cigararettes cause cancer? Beer and wine are intoxicants. How does he sleep at night without doing things help these poor people???
    Since when has honesty been considered "warped."

This thread was very interesting in the beginning, but maybe it has gotten out of hand?

Hey, yesterday I saw a penny on the floor by the vending machines at work. I left it there. That DOES NOT make me any more or less ethical than the next guy.

Yes, in the past I have bought an item that I thought was a good deal and, after research, resold the item for a significant profit (I did not contact the original seller to offer more $$$). Also, I have bought other items that I thought were a good deal and have suffered big losses. Neither of these scenarios make me any more or less ethical than the next guy.

My line of ethics is drawn at misrepresenting items as something they are not (forgeries, misleading descriptions, etc). Also, I believe one should differentiate between selling to an adult versus a child. Adults who sell an item at way below real value should have done their research - it's not my responsibility to inform an adult of their ignorance. Too many people in our society are ignorant and feel others should be responsible for taking care of them. To me, that's a load of garbage. Adults are to be responsible for their own actions, so I'm not going to return any $$$ to an adult who grossly under-priced an item. On the other hand, I feel obligated to inform a child if they are selling their grandfather's card collection for pennies on the dollar. Society dictates that children are not to be held accountable for their actions, at least to the same level that adults shoudl be held accountable.

Kevin

Kevin, I agree with 99% of what you said.

However, where exactly is that penny? I'd like to go pick it up. (Yes, I'm that cheap!)

Ken

So what would all you ethical people do here? Ken

MURFREESBORO, Ark. — A Tennessee woman whose husband predicted she wouldn't have any luck gem hunting at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park made a sparkling discovery: a 1.30-carat diamond.
    "I wasn't expecting to find anything and was just picking up pretty rocks," said Melissa Lacey of Knoxville.
    At first, she thought the light yellow diamond was "a piece of dirty quartz." After it was identified by park staff, Lacey said she couldn't wait to show it to her husband.
    The diamond was the size of a piece of candy corn. The largest diamond ever discovered in the U.S. was unearthed here in 1924. Named the Uncle Sam, the white diamond weighed 40.23 carats.
    A freshly dug trench was opened to the public on Saturday. Soil from the trench was spread out over parts of the diamond field. Lacey found her diamond there Thursday.
    The Crater of Diamonds State Park is the world's only publicly operated diamond site where the public is allowed to search and keep any gems found, regardless of their value.
    © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Thou shall split the profits