X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sportscentury
    • Nov 2005

Re: ASI / Historic Auctions / Expert Sports Authentication

Originally posted by allstarsplus
    My question is simply how this seller gets an ARod and Clemens and other Yankees "game issued" outside of Steiner. I am very happy they are not pawned off as game used.
    ****INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT REMOVED*******

I have spoken to my Steiner rep specifically about these and he said "no comment".
    Well, that's certainly not very helpful. Do you think he has no clue or is this a top secret operation?

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

There is nothing wrong with selling game issued or pro-cut especially when labeled game issued or pro-cut. We personally have been selling Michael Jordan pro-cuts.

Game issued are generally fine when they actually are "game issued". The Yankees jerseys sold by MASAUCTION look fine to me, but I am skeptical due to the whole Steiner Yankee control of the jerseys.

My question is simply how this seller gets an ARod and Clemens and other Yankees "game issued" outside of Steiner. I am very happy they are not pawned off as game used.

I have spoken to my Steiner rep specifically about these and he said "no comment".
      Where is the Clemens jersey mentioned as being "game issued" as you asked in quotes? I just looked at the auction and since you used quotes, please explain what you were quoting as it was never used in those terms.

Even if it was, what "game issued" means to you and what it means to others is a different story. "Game issued" can mean game ready, but who decided that a "game issued" jersey had to hang in the locker room? It has been debated on these forums time and time again. There is no concrete terminology on this forum or in eBay's rules about what these terms really mean.

"Pro-cut" and "Un-used game" are similar terms, but if you are bidding on this item, wouldn't you ask questions of the seller in advance of if this item was ever in the team's possession before bidding? Then again, don't you think a seller would tell you if the item came right from the team to attract a higher ending price?

Did you email the seller and ask your questions before posting your questions on the forum?

Comment

• sportscentury
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
        Where is the Clemens jersey mentioned as being "game issued" as you asked in quotes? I just looked at the auction and since you used quotes, please explain what you were quoting as it was never used in those terms.

Even if it was, what "game issued" means to you and what it means to others is a different story. "Game issued" can mean game ready, but who decided that a "game issued" jersey had to hang in the locker room? It has been debated on these forums time and time again. There is no concrete terminology on this forum or in eBay's rules about what these terms really mean.

"Pro-cut" and "Un-used game" are similar terms, but if you are bidding on this item, wouldn't you ask questions of the seller in advance of if this item was ever in the team's possession before bidding? Then again, don't you think a seller would tell you if the item came right from the team to attract a higher ending price?

Did you email the seller and ask your questions before posting your questions on the forum?
        Joel,

I think you're getting your forum rules mixed up. Andrew never said the jersey was bad. In fact, he stated that the jerseys were "perfectly tagged 'unused' jerseys." He is curious as to how and where someone can get Yankees superstar jerseys outside of Steiner. Are you suggesting that he really should have contacted Mitch to ask him this? First of all, that would be silly. Second of all, that may be construed as an inappropriate usage of the eBay messaging system (as it could be interpreted as solicitation for outside business).

Lastly, Andrew put "un-used" in quotes with reference to Mitch's jerseys (which you did, yourself - see your post at 4:16pm today) and not "game issued" as you stated he did. He used "game issued" in quotes in a later post in the context of a general discussion about game issued jerseys being sold as game issued as opposed to game worn.

Not that I'm trying to end this discussion, but Eric asked us to stick to the focus of the thread. We should all agree to follow this suggestion.

Reid
        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Reid, read the last post by AllStarPlus - They used quoted in the term "game issued".

I think if he is going to question the seller's items, they should email their concerns to the seller first, per forum policy. Then they can report the seller's reply if they have an issue with it.

Ok, what has been done with the new information on Historic Auctions - James Brown?

Comment

• allstarsplus
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
            Reid, read the last post by AllStarPlus - They used quoted in the term "game issued"
            I think if he is going to question the seller's items, they should email their concerns to the seller first, per forum policy. Then they can report the seller's reply if they have an issue with it.

Ok, what has been done with the new information on Historic Auctions - James Brown?
            Joel - I know you can't speak for the seller. I don't know the seller and feel no reason to email him since I am not accusing him of anything. Un-used just means that it hasn't been used by definition. It then can be further classified as un-used game issued, un-used pro-cut, un-used authentic or un-used replica. Look at the ARod tagging. Is that a un-used game issued? Is there a reason it was called un-used and not game issued with that type of tagging? Is it a pro-cut or an authentic or a replica???

Most Yankee jerseys on Rudy's list were listed as un-used with the exception of a Matsui was game issued by ProSportsInvestments http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9%2B%26fvi%3D1.

UN-USED Alex Rodriguez 2004 New York Yankees game jersey (no Steiner cert). Item number: 270024462240

UN-USED Alex Rodriguez 2004 New York Yankees Game Jersey (no Steiner cert). Item number: 8827832447

UN-USED Roger Clemens 2003 New York Yankees Game Jersey (no Steiner cert). Item number: 8827832707

GAME ISSUED Hideki Matsui New York Yankees Jersey (no Steiner cert). Item number: 220002309089

UN-USED Hideki Matsui 2004 New York Yankees Game Jersey (no Steiner cert). Item number: 8827841704

UN-USED Derek Jeter 2004 New York Yankees Game Jersey (no Steiner cert). Item number: 8827842531

I have no issue with the jerseys. I was amazed with the number of Yankees jerseys that Turtle purchased.
            Regards,
            Andrew Lang
            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
            202-716-8500

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

I have no issue with the jerseys. I was amazed with the number of Yankees jerseys that Turtle purchased.
              Yes, I can see your concern with that being the issue here.

Comment

• suave1477
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

I can say this about MASAUCTION as I dealt with him on a few occasions. He was a stand up guy with me. I am familiar where he got some of his items from. I do not know where he got the Roger Clemens from but I do know he won quite a few lots during the GREY FLANNEL/STEINER AUCTION back in febuary and was break up the lots and selling them piece by piece.

Comment

• stkmtimo
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
                  I can say this about MASAUCTION as I dealt with him on a few occasions. He was a stand up guy with me. I am familiar where he got some of his items from. I do not know where he got the Roger Clemens from but I do know he won quite a few lots during the GREY FLANNEL/STEINER AUCTION back in febuary and was break up the lots and selling them piece by piece.
                  If he did in fact purchase them from the Grey Flannel/Steiner auction, why didn't he indicate they originated from Steiner? Why didn't the Steiner rep, whom Andrew talked to, explain that the jerseys were from the auction instead of offering up "no comment"? Seems a little strange to me. Not questioning the authenticity of the jerseys, just wondering.

Tim

Comment

• Eric
                    • Jan 1970

Everyone-

This thread has nothing to do with masauction or yankees pro cuts or steiner. If you would like to have the discussion about pro cuts and the hobby, might I suggest you open an new thread and stick to facts. Please stay away from "could be's" or "might happen's."

There are some very serious hobby issues contained in this thread- people have some some great work here, and we should keep focus.

Thank you
                    Eric
                    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• ldavis2261
                      • Jun 2006

Hey guys for all the game issued fans. Here's something store issued. Another Historic piece of crap.

The auction description read "This game used bat shows nice use including ball and lace marks on the bat barrel"

Good Luck Everyone!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• stkmtimo
                        • Nov 2005

I love how Wells "authenticated" it when there's a line under 125 on the bat and shows no signs of use whatsoever. Yikes.

Tim

Comment

• BaseballGM
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

This thread should be saved as an educational tool for those just beginning to collect as well as long term collectors. Maybe it's a good thing that MLB and other leagues are taking more interest in game used items to sell for their own auctions since the memorabilia market (like any other marketplace) will always be full of those willing to try to make a quick buck and take advantage of others.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Tim-
                            Better yet, how about Brad's title-HEAD Authenticator.

Classic!

Howard Wolf
                            hblakewolf@patmedia.met

Originally posted by stkmtimo
                            I love how Wells "authenticated" it when there's a line under 125 on the bat and shows no signs of use whatsoever. Yikes.

Tim

Comment

• silverschmidts
                              • Feb 2006

In reading this long but fascinating thread, I noticed some references to MASAuction. Wasn't there an auction company by that name owned by a guy named Mitch (last name escapes me--might have been Schumacher) and wasn't he convicted at one point of selling fake items? This might have been part of the big FBI sting that was widely reported in Sports Collectors Digest for a couple of years (or it might have been a separate investigation, I don't remember). Does anybody know if this Ebay seller using the name MASAuction is the same guy who cheated collectors?
                              --Steve

Comment

• Eric
                                • Jan 1970

I would recommend that if you want to discuss this topic, that it be posted in a different thread AND it be very important to stick with facts.

I can tell you that Mr Schumaker has always been a helpful resource for me and has helped me work towards improving the hobby. He has nothing to do with this thread or what transpired with historic auctions.

Eric
                                Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

Working...