Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Autograph Authentication

This is my specialty, so I should add that GAI used to also use the DNA daub. And authenticonline.com used a special microscopic device that made a SUPER closeup image of a small part of the item and that could later be verified just as the DNA is.

And one very last point (I promise). GAI originally was top notch for autographs, when under the direction of Mike Gutierrez. But Gutierrez went to Heritage Auctions and GAI slowly but surely deteriorated. So a GAI LOA with Gutierrez signature is from back when they were good and respected.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    And one very last point (I promise). GAI originally was top notch for autographs, when under the direction of Mike Gutierrez. But Gutierrez went to Heritage Auctions and GAI slowly but surely deteriorated. So a GAI LOA with Gutierrez signature is from back when they were good and respected.
    That's great but when you see an item with GAI sell for $200 and with PSA/DNA sell for $600 on eBay you know there is a problem, no matter when the letter was written.

I am pretty sure the pen they use is a "DNA" pen which is why they choose the name. I don't know what is so catchy about those letters when authenticating an autograph or a bat.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Looks like PSA/DNA would be best for the signature authentication.

Joel - Jersey was sourced from a reliable non-Steiner source. That's why I'm sending it to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Pablo

I personally know people at JSA.

That being said, no knock against authenticating services, but I don't value a COA/LOA or any type of certificate, document, or picture that tries to prove an autograph is real or not.

Unless the autograph can be somehow photo-matched to a picture taken at the exact time an item was signed, you can never prove or disprove the authenticity of an autograph. It all comes down to the buyers judgment and some people "value" COA's, but I don't think real collectors value a COA/LOA of an autograph at all.

There are tons of pics of Jeter available so why not try and save yourself the authentication fees and try and photomatch it yourself? I'm sure there are folks on the site who might be willing to help for free or charge a lot less then a company like Mears would. Plus a photomatch is better then anyone's LOO any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BernBabyBern View Post
    Thanks for everyone's opinion. Looks like PSA/DNA would be best for the signature authentication.

Joel - Jersey was sourced from a reliable non-Steiner source. That's why I'm sending it to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Pablo

I would also argue that if an item is questionable to the point that you need it "authenticated" than the item will always be questionable even if it's "authenticated". Just because a piece of paper and someone's opinion that you paid for says it's real, doesn't make it more or less real.

Just because a piece of paper and someone's opinion that you paid for says it's real, doesn't make it more or less real.
    True, but that piece of paper will help with the sale price.

Why does someone pass on an eBay item but then pay 3x the amount for the same item when it's offered by a major auction house?

The paperwork.

Tristar and a few other companies only give COAs/holos for autographs they witness in person, with the player under contract to sign. That's why Tristar, UDA and Steiner holographs are valued.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BernBabyBern View Post
    I have a game used autographed jersey that I'm sending to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Who would you send it to authenticate the signature? PSA/DNA or JSA.

Would like to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks,
    Pablo
    MAP
    Pablo,

How are you selling it? Before you spend money getting stuff authenticated if your going to auction it via n auction house they will take care of that for you without charging you. Thats what part of the seller's premium covers. Most auction houses will have the signature authenticated by PSA or JSA and have their own experts look at the jersey. I just wanted to point this out because authentication is not cheap and if you use a major auction house your paying double if you pay for it yourself.