Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Angry This kills me...

Jose Altuve Futures Patch Card.

I would have loved to own Altuve's Futures Game jersey; I have his Futures hat in my Astros hat collection upstairs. This is just disgraceful. Who needs these patch cards in the long run? Yeah, it may be cool in the short term, but the design on these cards isn't really aesthetically pleasing in the first place. So what's the point? Card company profits?!?!
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Re: This kills me...

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Card company profits?!?!
    You answered your own question.

Banned

By the way, I spent the weekend at The Chicago Sun-Times Sports Memorabilia Trade Show and I saw the card dealers doing business as usual with the jersey/patch cards. No one seems to care about the controversy in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    By the way, I spent the weekend at The Chicago Sun-Times Sports Memorabilia Trade Show and I saw the card dealers doing business as usual with the jersey/patch cards. No one seems to care about the controversy in the industry.
    Interesting. Were the jersey and patch cards selling? IDK, but they got old for me after about the first year of collecting them.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Interesting. Were the jersey and patch cards selling? IDK, but they got old for me after about the first year of collecting them.
    The market did switch to preferring autographs (or autographed jersey/patch cards) many years ago.

I saw a few deals for high end jersey cards. Most dealers don't care if a card is an authentic swatch or not, just if they can buy or sell it.

I got out of the card collecting game a while ago. It just doesn't seem logical to me how a large piece of game used memorabilia, perhaps even signed, could be worth just as much as a full game used piece signed as well. I'd rather have a whole game used jersey I can display and be proud of than a card that will sit in a box. I really wanted the Alonso jersey from the Futures game. It sucks that they didn't even give people the chance to bid on them. If the card companies really wanted to make cards of it, they should have outbid other people.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    The market did switch to preferring autographs (or autographed jersey/patch cards) many years ago.
    Even if they were sticker autos? I tell you, it was sticker autographs that led to my selling a lot of my card collection. I might still have a few somewhere, but it is a disgrace when players can't even sign their name to an actual card.

I saw a few deals for high end jersey cards. Most dealers don't care if a card is an authentic swatch or not, just if they can buy or sell it.
    What about the buyers? Did they just believe the swatches to be authentic?
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408