Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mcgwire bat question

Hi Guys

I have a mcgwire rawlings bat (dark blue ring) with the following on the knob (MM 466 O O29 3) - looks like an early career bat 1986?

Cant find much info on him ever using a 466 0 model bat and the 3 on the knob would normally indicate 1993, but this is definitely an early career bat. Also, his number (25) is written in black marker at the top and bottom of the bat.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Banned

Question Re: Mcgwire bat question

Maybe someone who knows Rawlings/Adirondack bats would be better equipped to give a definitive answer, but I've always though that, on lighter colored bats, the "Pro Ring" was color coded to the team the player was with. I would think that A's bats would havev a green ring and Cardinals bats would have a red ring. Photos would help an awful lot on this, if you can supply them.

Dave Miedema

Re: Mcgwire bat question

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Maybe someone who knows Rawlings/Adirondack bats would be better equipped to give a definitive answer, but I've always though that, on lighter colored bats, the "Pro Ring" was color coded to the team the player was with. I would think that A's bats would havev a green ring and Cardinals bats would have a red ring. Photos would help an awful lot on this, if you can supply them.

Dave Miedema
    Dave -

While working for Rawlings, I asked this question of the 'Pro Rep' for the Rockies as I had seen a few Rockies bats with Purple Pro Rings, some with Black Pro Rings and some with Blue Pro Rings (?).

According to him, there is NO 'team coloring' theme to the rings. They will try to get players bats with team colored ring if possible, but at the end of the day there is no rhyme or reason to the Pro Ring color.

The bats are made with different color rings based on batch, date made, etc. That was the last I ever heard about it, so it is possible that McGwire had a Blue Pro Ring bat in Oakland.

For the Record, the ONLY Pro Ring Colors I have ever seen are:

Silver (on Black Bats)
    Gold (on Black Bats)
    Dark Blue, Red, Black and Purple. I have never seen Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Dave -

While working for Rawlings, I asked this question of the 'Pro Rep' for the Rockies as I had seen a few Rockies bats with Purple Pro Rings, some with Black Pro Rings and some with Blue Pro Rings (?).

According to him, there is NO 'team coloring' theme to the rings. They will try to get players bats with team colored ring if possible, but at the end of the day there is no rhyme or reason to the Pro Ring color.

The bats are made with different color rings based on batch, date made, etc. That was the last I ever heard about it, so it is possible that McGwire had a Blue Pro Ring bat in Oakland.

For the Record, the ONLY Pro Ring Colors I have ever seen are:

Silver (on Black Bats)
    Gold (on Black Bats)
    Dark Blue, Red, Black and Purple. I have never seen Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.

- Smitty
    Smitty -
    I have a Mark McGwire Pro bat - Game Used 1988 World Series -it has a Green Ring.

I have never seen Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.
    I have two orange-ring bats hanging in my office -- an Astros Mike Scott and an Orioles Luke Scott. This site has several photos of McGwire's Oakland bats with green rings. I've seen white rings on black Rawlings bats, along with silver and gold.

A McGwire bat with a blue ring is suspicious, in my opinion. Would love to see photos.

Thanks Dave and Smitty

The rawlings bat (dark blue rings) looks like the ones Mcgwire is holding in the attached pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Color seems off in the photo. The batting helmets and Mark's belt look blue, too. We know that's not the case.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Those are green rings, I have never seen a blue ring Mac. And those are too many digits to be stamped on that era of a Rawlings bat.

Dave -

According to him, there is NO 'team coloring' theme to the rings.

- Smitty
    FWIW, I have a hard time believeing this