Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dewey2007
    • Dec 2007

Re: Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey
    Attached Files
    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dewey2007
      I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey
      Thanks for the photos, Dewey. This is why this stuff is confusing. The Raiders jersey surely could have been used in 1970. However, the Sand-Knit tag was originally manufactured in the late 50s to the very early 60s. Recycled or "carry-over" styles should always be considered, especially football.

Comment

• G1X
        • Nov 2005

invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
        Gridiron Exchange
        gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Comment

• invintagewetrust
          • Jun 2011

G1X,

I wasn't aware the Eagles had a double tagged Macgregor/Mitchell and Ness shirt, very cool. I actively collect jackets and athletic garments (none jerseys) from mitchell and ness (vintage, the none throwback retro one's).

I'm sure BTPH and myself would both love to see the Redskins if you ever get permission to shoot and post it.

Good thread.

Comment

• G1X
            • Nov 2005

Sorry it took so long to take photos and make this post. The Holidays kept me on the run!

The first photo is the Powers tail tag on the mid-1950s 'Skins jersey that several of you requested to see. The remaining photos are of jerseys with tail tagging that includes the local sporting goods suppliers (including the Eagles jersey with both the MacGregor tag and Mitchell & Ness tag).

A few more photos coming in a second post.

Mark Hayne
            Gridiron Exchange
            gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

MID-1950s WASHINGTON REDSKINS
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00410-20111102-1344.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	680707

1950s PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Name:	image0001.jpg
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	680708

MID-1950s DETROIT LIONS

Name:	image0006.jpg
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	680709

CIRCA-1970 DETROIT LIONS

Name:	image0005.jpg
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	680710

CIRCA-1970 CINCINNATI BENGALS

Name:	DSC_00120021.JPG
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	680711

EARLY-1970s MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Name:	image0003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	680712

Comment

• G1X
              • Nov 2005

Here are a few more jerseys with tagging that includes the local sporting goods supplier.

Mark Hayne
              Gridiron Exchange
              gixc@verizon.net

1975 BIRMINGHAM VULCANS (WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE)

Name:	image0002.jpg
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	680713

1975 ATLANTA FALCONS

Name:	image0003.jpg
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	680714

1984 ATLANTA FALCONS

Name:	image0004.jpg
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	680715

LATE-1970s/Early 1980s ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Name:	STL-C (1).jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	680716

EARLY-1970s KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Name:	CHIEF #80 - DORSEY (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	680717

1985 PORTLAND BREAKERS (USFL)

Name:	USFL PORTLAND BREAKERS - #63 LEVASA (2).jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	680718

Comment

• terryzom
                • Jun 2010

Just caught up with these recent updates... those tags are *amazing*, Mark. Thanks for sharing them!

Comment

• HassanWM
                  • Jul 2006

I have a St Louis Cardinals jersey with Sand Knit tagging. I am assuming that would be from the early-mid 70s?

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by G1X
                    invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
                    Gridiron Exchange
                    gixc@verizon.net

Mark - I've seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor with and without Mitchell and Ness tags. I've also seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor bearing Pearson's tags. On or around 1965, I noticed a variation of sleeve fonts on Eagles jerseys and about that time, I saw a Pearson ad in a Eagles 1965 program with Rawlings being a supplier to the Eagles.

Contrary to popular belief, Rawlings did supply game jerseys to the Eagles. Of interest is, the tags are on the back flap of the jersey and with the Rawlings tag, that may or may NOT be a Pearson's tag.

I'd like to add that the earliest Sand-knit tag I've seen on a Eagles jersey is 1970.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...