Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

Here are a few more jerseys with tagging that includes the local sporting goods supplier.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

1975 BIRMINGHAM VULCANS (WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE)
    Name:  image0002.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  285.0 KB

1975 ATLANTA FALCONS
    Name:  image0003.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  192.2 KB

1984 ATLANTA FALCONS
    Name:  image0004.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  204.9 KB

LATE-1970s/Early 1980s ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
    Name:  STL-C (1).jpg
Views: 793
Size:  62.1 KB

EARLY-1970s KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
    Name:  CHIEF #80 - DORSEY (2).jpg
Views: 718
Size:  50.3 KB

1985 PORTLAND BREAKERS (USFL)
    Name:  USFL PORTLAND BREAKERS - #63 LEVASA (2).jpg
Views: 772
Size:  70.3 KB

Just caught up with these recent updates... those tags are *amazing*, Mark. Thanks for sharing them!

I have a St Louis Cardinals jersey with Sand Knit tagging. I am assuming that would be from the early-mid 70s?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.
    Mark - I've seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor with and without Mitchell and Ness tags. I've also seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor bearing Pearson's tags. On or around 1965, I noticed a variation of sleeve fonts on Eagles jerseys and about that time, I saw a Pearson ad in a Eagles 1965 program with Rawlings being a supplier to the Eagles.

Contrary to popular belief, Rawlings did supply game jerseys to the Eagles. Of interest is, the tags are on the back flap of the jersey and with the Rawlings tag, that may or may NOT be a Pearson's tag.

I'd like to add that the earliest Sand-knit tag I've seen on a Eagles jersey is 1970.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images