Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Vintage vs Modern Debate

I'll take a common player jersey pre-1990 over a superstar modern day jersey any day...too may fakes and too may jerseys issued every year to justify the high prices realized....I would dare to say not too many people fake a common player jersey pre-1990....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by misteremu View Post
    I'll take a common player jersey pre-1990 over a superstar modern day jersey any day...too may fakes and too may jerseys issued every year to justify the high prices realized....I would dare to say not too many people fake a common player jersey pre-1990....
    the fake nba shirts started appearing regularly during 92/93..thanx to msauction

Great post topic. I think I fall into the vintage camp but with that said the majority of my collection is modern day just because they have been much easier for me to acquire. Vintage jerseys have so much more character though.

One of the few vintage jersey I have in my collection, a 1972 Chris Speier SF Giants flannel road jersey, is a favorite along with the two 1930s semi-pro baseball jerseys I acquired when I was a kid.

While cool to look at, I think the one thing that turns me off a little about possibly adding a vintage baseball jersey to my collection is so many of them have been restored or recycled through the minor leagues with number changes. Not much you can do about that though since that was the way it was done back in the day but it's just something that I have to try and look past when considering adding one to my collection since there are not to many originals left. I've held off on bidding on a couple because they had been restored by the owners which is different to me then if the team did it themselves.

I'm always unsure too of what the official measuring stick is for something to be considered vintage. Is it something that is 20 years old or more?

Great thread! I mainly collect football jerseys, and nothing beats a durene jersey in my humble opinion. Whenever someone looks at my collection, they are drawn immediately to the durene jerseys.

I've included a few photos. Hope you enjoy!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I'm always unsure too of what the official measuring stick is for something to be considered vintage. Is it something that is 20 years old or more?
    Dewey -

20 years would put you at 1991 and I would imagine not too many people here consider the 80's and early 90's 'vintage' - except maybe some of our younger collector's...

Anyway, I use the same yardstick that is used in the card collecting side of the hobby - roughly 1976/77 and early is considered vintage.

As far as the Original Topic of this thread - I too prefer vintage and am slowly moving out my modern stuff for vintage...

I will still keep a few key modern pieces:

Jason Giambi 2009 Rockies Uni - photo matched to 1st game w/ Rox AND his 1st card ina Rox Uni.

Eric Young Jr 2009 Rockies Uni - photomatched to 1st (and still ONLY) MLB HR at bat (I recovered that HR - my 1st as well).

As far as REAL vintage - I can't afford GU of many of the stars I like, so I am slowly building a nice Mitchell & Ness Collection - signed if possible - of the 'flannel' jerseys. They still display very nicely.

All the best -

Smitty

I've recently sold a bunch of my modern jerseys, but I'll never be able to part with my vintage stuff since it's just impossible to find replacements. No jersey today compares with the feel and look of a vintage flannel.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Smitty,

Yeah, I wouldn't consider 1991 vintage but starting around the mid 70's sounds about right. Others might disagree but I know different hobbies have different qualifications for this type of thing so I thought I'd throw it out there. I guess we'll have to wait another 10-15 years for 1991 to be considered vintage!!

The reason I mentioned the 20 year example is there is an antiques fair here where I live and I remember that sellers cannot sell anything that is less then 20 years old. They even have people walking around checking items. Once when I went, I distinctly remember a guy told someone to put away some Toy Story dolls because they didn't meet the age requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Dewey -

20 years would put you at 1991 and I would imagine not too many people here consider the 80's and early 90's 'vintage' - except maybe some of our younger collector's...

Anyway, I use the same yardstick that is used in the card collecting side of the hobby - roughly 1976/77 and early is considered vintage.

As far as the Original Topic of this thread - I too prefer vintage and am slowly moving out my modern stuff for vintage...

I will still keep a few key modern pieces:

Jason Giambi 2009 Rockies Uni - photo matched to 1st game w/ Rox AND his 1st card ina Rox Uni.

Eric Young Jr 2009 Rockies Uni - photomatched to 1st (and still ONLY) MLB HR at bat (I recovered that HR - my 1st as well).

As far as REAL vintage - I can't afford GU of many of the stars I like, so I am slowly building a nice Mitchell & Ness Collection - signed if possible - of the 'flannel' jerseys. They still display very nicely.

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    I've recently sold a bunch of my modern jerseys, but I'll never be able to part with my vintage stuff since it's just impossible to find replacements. No jersey today compares with the feel and look of a vintage flannel.
    Nice looking jerseys and display!!!!!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Banned

Ah - its good to be out - LOL

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

I'm w/ the vitange crowd. Fortunately for me, most of the former Minnesota Gophers I collect are/were "common" players in the NFL. I'm w/ Mark on the durene jerseys too. Those are sweet! And I'll take a vintage helmet over a modern helmet any day of the week.

Shawn Kennedy
    GopherJerseys.com
    GiridironHeroes.net
    gridironheroes22@yahoo.com