Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Vintage vs Modern Debate

Are vintage insignificant jerseys of common no name players really worth that of modern day superstars? Recently, I've seen a jersey from the 70's of Joe Common Player that most people never heard of sell for $7,500 (it was listed for sale for over 4+ years). Back then, there was no security tagging, little photo-graphs, and even fewer pictures/references of this no name player.

If I buy a significant modern day superstar jersey like an Aaron Rodgers, Sidney Crosby, or Albert Pujlos for around the same price $7,500... what will be worth more in 40 years? An 80 year old no name, with zero proof it was ever legitimate, or a then to be Vintage superstar HOF player with security tagging, photo-matches, Team COA's etc.

I stay away from no name players no matter how old. To me, the age of the jersey doesn't make it any more or less significant unless it was literally proven to be worn during a specific event such as the first ever game by the franchise, playoffs, championship, incident etc. I would rather spend my money on a modern 100% indisputable superstar for the same price than a common "vintage" jersey that can never and probably will never have indisputable evidence that its real (photo-match, COA, proof it wasn't just a preseason jersey, proof it wasn't an event worn jersey)

Just wondered what everyone's opinion is on this.

Re: Vintage vs Modern Debate

I'm going to guess the Aaron Rodgers, Sidney Crosby, or Albert Pujols jerseys of the future will not rise much beyond what you paid for them since this crazy hobby will crank out a ton more of them.

I'd much rather have that 80 year old no name player jersey from my favorite team and I wouldn't care if I could prove it was worn or not. Jerseys from that era were made to be worn in games and not sold in stores. You can also be sure your common player jersey from 80 years ago is legitimate since the crooks would rather create a Lou Gehrig instead of a Wally Pipp.

I'll take the old rare jersey any day of the week over the modern superstar. Of course that's just my opinion and we all collect differently. I'm guessing the old guard will agree with me and the newer, younger collectors won't.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    I'm going to guess the Aaron Rodgers, Sidney Crosby, or Albert Pujols jerseys of the future will not rise much beyond what you paid for them since this crazy hobby will crank out a ton more of them.

I'd much rather have that 80 year old no name player jersey from my favorite team and I wouldn't care if I could prove it was worn or not. Jerseys from that era were made to be worn in games and not sold in stores. You can also be sure your common player jersey from 80 years ago is legitimate since the crooks would rather create a Lou Gehrig instead of a Wally Pipp.

I'll take the old rare jersey any day of the week over the modern superstar. Of course that's just my opinion and we all collect differently. I'm guessing the old guard will agree with me and the newer, younger collectors won't.
    I'm with you. Vintage jerseys and helmets from back in the day are far and away harder to find than modern-day jerseys and helmets because the vintage stuff wasn't available on the retail market, most players didn't want their stuff and some NFL teams, like the Jets, gave their jerseys away to fans at the end of the year. What wasn't given away, was thrown away - yes thrown away. I collect Eagles items from the 1960's and in the past 30 years, I've seen perhaps 10 jerseys and even less helmets hit the market.

Today, players can order extras jerseys for their family members, friends, their agents or the person down the street who walks their dogs when they are away on road games. I don't even know how modern day jerseys can even be authenticated? As for Aaron Rogers, who knows how many jerseys he'll wear before he retires.

It may also be a generational thing. I grew-up watching the Eagles at Franklin Field and I would much rather have a Norm Snead or Ben Hawkins jersey rather than a Michael Vick or DeSean Jackson jersey.

Just an opinion.

Thanks goodness there are collectors like karamaxjoe and cohibasmoker on this forum. I thought I was alone.

Wilson, Rawlings, durene and flannel...
    Majestic, cool-base and dazzle-cloth...

Banned

Smile Re: Vintage vs Modern Debate

Mike, Jim and Warren:

You can add me to your group. It was rare back in the 1970's for any player in any sport to get more than 2 or 3 sets of jerseys in a year. Today, star players get a dozen or more.

I like the ironclad sourcing of current items when available, but the old stuff is much harder to find, and were made purely for game play...not resale opportunities.

Vintage....YES!!

Dave Miedema

This is just my opinion but a bigger problem for me is that today's retail jerseys have the exact same graphics as the actual gamers. Stand 10 feet away, wrinkle them up a bit, fold up the sleeves, and you can't tell the difference. Without clear and conclusive proof along the lines of a huge mark or tear easily photomatched there would be no interest in seeing them in a museum 50 years from now (again, my opinion). The best vintage jerseys do not need to be star players and do not need an LOA to bring satisfaction in owning them, the craftsmanship speaks for itself (my opinion once more!). Here's my favorite pickup this year:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Thanks goodness there are collectors like karamaxjoe and cohibasmoker on this forum. I thought I was alone.

Wilson, Rawlings, durene and flannel...
    Majestic, cool-base and dazzle-cloth...
    I don't hang here as much as I used to, but it's good to see some of the old timers still frequent this site and talk about the vintage stuff. Most of the chatter appears to revolve around anything from the past few years.

Oh Warren......where can I get me some of that dazzle-cloth? I might have an old suit in the back of my closet made of that.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    I don't hang here as much as I used to, but it's good to see some of the old timers still frequent this site and talk about the vintage stuff.
    Add me to that list!

I had been searching over ten years for a St. Paul Saints game used jersey (the 1902-1960 franchise) and had to pay through the nose to get it when one finally became available. I have been told by several longtime collectors that there are only a handful known to exist; fewer than the number your average player is issued every single season.

I doubt I will ever find another one of these.

Chris
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Same goes for bats. Every single cracked bat is saved and sold today. How many Cano or Pujols bats have we seen in the past month? How many Lute "Danny" Boone bats do you think are still out there? Each vintage item is truly one of a kind, even if it wasn't used by a big name.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Banned

c'mon ..NO brainer... vintage any day of the week. i back the post where they would take a vintage common over a modern star... easily. vintage shirts just has way more vibe to them. modern shirts are like modern built homes....absolute zero personality