X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beantown
    • Nov 2005

Joe Namath Jersey - 8D Auctions

Chris,

Hello...I was looking at the above mentioned auction listing and something caught my eye...

I started to reference photos of Namath wearing a Champion Mesh Jersey w/ Silk Screened Numbers and Name and noticed that the photos I was coming across, showed Namath in a similar style jersey, however, the jersey Namath is wearing does not have the large white stripe on the sleeves.

The photos I referenced, show that Namath had the large white stripe on the sleeves cut off and in some intances the jersey sleeves appear to be un hemmed, while others show the sleeves appearing to be hemmed. I know these photos aren't the end all be all for Namath, but if someone can find a photo of Namath wearing this style jersey with unaltered sleeves, please post.

Here are some photos depicting Namath with the modified sleeves...
    Attached Files
  • bobw
    • Nov 2005

Re: Joe Namath Jersey - 8D Auctions

I have a few slides of Namath vs the Baltimore Colts with the white showing:

I have a few more if interested

Comment

• beantown
      • Nov 2005

Hello...yes, those photos due show the white sleeve stripe material, however, I believe that is a tackle twill, durene jersey....you can tell by the #1 font, which is different than the Champion silk screened jersey...

Comment

• Flamechicken
        • Jul 2010

Bobw, do you have any pics of Namath wearing a jersey that shows the white stripe and the updated #1 that match the auction jersey numbering? The photos you posted look like they might be an earlier style jersey based on the numbering.

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
          Paid Users
          • Jan 1970

Hey Guys,

Let me check on this and get back to you either later today or tomorrow at the latest. I have some meetings today but will try to post a reply today if possible.

Thanks,
          Chris
          Christopher Cavalier
          Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• Flamechicken
            • Jul 2010

Chris,
            Any update on this?

Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
              Paid Users
              • Jan 1970

Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on a number of things and trying to get to this today. To be very candid, I thought we did find an image of what seemed to be a match for the sleeve/style combination but I am trying to go back and find it....I think I'm getting old :-) Again, sorry for the delay and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
              Chris
              Christopher Cavalier
              Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• Flamechicken
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by ChrisCavalier
                Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on a number of things and trying to get to this today. To be very candid, I thought we did find an image of what seemed to be a match for the sleeve/style combination but I am trying to go back and find it....I think I'm getting old :-) Again, sorry for the delay and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
                Chris
                No worries, just checking.

Mike

Comment

• invintagewetrust
                  • Jun 2011

I'm definitely not an expert at all on Jets jerseys, but I do know that several auction houses have sold Namath and Jets shirts from the 1973-1975 years, but usually have not included style matches via a photo because they're really aren't a lot of photos of Namath out post 1972 for whatever reason. This shirt I believe is from 1973. My research shows that Namath wore a full sleeve in this 'warm weather' jersey during the first part of both the 1973 and 1974 season. Prior to 1973 I cannot find any evidence of Namath wearing a none cut sleeve mesh jersey. In 1974 Champion issued 'warm weather' shirts without nameplates, and had the name on back screened directly on to the jersey.

Also to note during this era the Jets wore as many as 4 different combinations of font and materal during a season, making there a bunch of jerseys in circulation from this era, and also making a style match that much more difficult.

Anyways just my two cents.

Comment

• commando
                    • Nov 2007

Since this is a painting, it would be nice to find the original photograph that was used by the artist.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Anthony Nunez
                    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2005

Went on eBay and used the following searches and found a slew of photos.

Namath Jets 1971
                      Namath Jets 1972
                      Namath Jets 1973

Jim
                      Attached Files

Comment

• invintagewetrust
                        • Jun 2011

The first photo looks like a durene body jersey with sewn on numbering. The second and third shirts look like a match with the white top stitching on the green shoulder panel. Although the 1972 photo does have a cut sleeve, which could lean this being a 1973 issue.

Comment

• beantown
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cohibasmoker
                          Went on eBay and used the following searches and found a slew of photos.

Namath Jets 1971
                          Namath Jets 1972
                          Namath Jets 1973

Jim

Jim,

Of the three photos you posted, only the middle one is a Champion jersey w/ silk screened numbers....again, this one has the modified sleeves vs. the one being auctioned...

Comment

• beantown
                            • Nov 2005

I've referenced additional photos from the period when the jersey would have been received by the consignor...still couldn't match the sleeves as ALL photos of Namath wearing a mesh Champion jersey with silk screened name and numbers, whether its a home or away jersey, pre-season or regular season have the modified sleeves...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• BrianK
                              • Jan 2011

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted this already. Sleeves appear unaltered. Click video box upper-left to play.
                              This website is for sale! commercialcloset.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, commercialcloset.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...