Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Autograph Authentication

I have a game used autographed jersey that I'm sending to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Who would you send it to authenticate the signature? PSA/DNA or JSA.

Would like to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks,
    Pablo
    MAP

Banned

Re: Autograph Authentication

Who is the autograph of?

8D and AM Sports both use PSA/DNA as their opinion carry the best resale value in the industry. Second is not even close.

It's a Derek Jeter signed 2006 game used jersey. I know the signature is legit just by looking at it. But, figured it would be even easier to sell it with authentication on it.
    Thanks for the input.

Pablo

I don't think there is much of a difference in resale value when comparing JSA or PSA. People have their preferences on which one for whatever reason but when it comes down to it as long as it's from one of the 2 you'll be fine.
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Who is the autograph of?

8D and AM Sports both use PSA/DNA as their opinion carry the best resale value in the industry. Second is not even close.
    I think when inexperienced collectors see the acronym "DNA" in the title, they assume that it was DNA tested. I may have been dumb as a teenager, but this is truly what I thought.

You wouldn't believe the number of sellers who have assured the authenticity of items to me and have suggested that I perform a DNA test. I'm not joking.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maverick14 View Post
    I don't think there is much of a difference in resale value when comparing JSA or PSA. People have their preferences on which one for whatever reason but when it comes down to it as long as it's from one of the 2 you'll be fine.

If you search certain name players on eBay over a long period of time, PSA/DNA is much more valuable than JSA. No doubt about it, JSA may be good with vintage sports (baseball) autographs but I wouldn't trust them with many modern autographs.

Odd that PSA/DNA denies authentication to autographs of a player, say, Albert Pujols, and I then see JSA authenticate the same autograph that PSA/DNA found questionable.

So, a general statement can support JSA, but someone who has been in this industry for over 25 years like myself can clearly state that at this moment in time, I would only trust PSA/DNA for authenticating modern autographs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I think when inexperienced collectors see the acronym "DNA" in the title, they assume that it was DNA tested. I may have been dumb as a teenager, but this is truly what I thought.

You wouldn't believe the number of sellers who have assured the authenticity of items to me and have suggested that I perform a DNA test. I'm not joking.
    Never heard that theory before.

PSA, Professional Sports Authenticators, who started as an upstart from PCGS aka Professional Coin Grading Service, were big in grading and authenticating the legitimacy of sports trading cards. They grew into other fields, and created PSA/DNA I believe about 10-12 years ago to give an opinion for the authenticity of autographs.

I believe the reason they choose "DNA" for the title is every item with their sticker placed on it is daubed with a special pen, that is referred to a DNA pen.

From the PSA/DNA web site:

Why PSA/DNA?

The Advantage of PSA/DNA Authentication Services
    PSA/DNA Letters of Authenticity are accepted by ALL major auction houses. They include, but are not limited to, Sotheby's, SCP Auctions, Heritage, Legendary, Mile High Card Company, R&R Enterprises and Memory Lane, Inc.

Premium Price and Liquidity
    Because potential buyers feel more comfortable purchasing certified items, PSA/DNA collectibles often sell for premium prices due to the strength and credibility of the PSA/DNA brand. Many of the most valuable collectibles in the world have been certified by PSA/DNA.

Confidence
    Buyers can be confident that PSA/DNA collectibles have been witnessed or examined for authenticity by the world's leading autograph experts.

Certified for Life
    Because PSA/DNA uses an invisible, permanent DNA marker, the authenticity is easily verified.

Verification
    The unique certification number can be used to verify the history of any PSA/DNA Certified item simply by typing in the serial number online!

PSA/DNA's covert DNA-laced ink is extremely durable and almost impossible to replicate! The chance of duplicating our DNA strand is 1 in 33 trillion!

Recertification is easy! Items with lost certificates or missing labels can be verified. We simply check for the DNA using our specially calibrated laser and issue a new label and certificate!

In closing, no one was trying to trick anyone. They choose that title for their use of DNA marking items with an invisible mark if ever needed for verification purposes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BernBabyBern View Post
    It's a Derek Jeter signed 2006 game used jersey. I know the signature is legit just by looking at it. But, figured it would be even easier to sell it with authentication on it.
    Thanks for the input.

Pablo
    Pablo, is the jersey already certified by Steiner or someone else for game used?

The autograph authenticators will only give an opinion on the autograph itself. If your jersey doesn't have any paperwork, I would submit it to MEARS for 3rd party authentication of the game use of the jersey. Then I would only use PSA/DNA to verify the autograph.

Best of luck to you!

Yes, the DNA refers to the synthetic DNA they apply to the item. It's viewable only under a special laser, thus marks the ball invisibly.

And no doubt they added the DNA to the name in part because it sounded catchy.