Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Need Some Help From The Vintage Bat Experts

Very nice pick ups Dan. The cap is not baseball. It's a kids or class or fraternity cap - more recent than then the "short billed" baseball cap era. 1940's I would guess. I come across these caps quite often in shops and usually buy them if its just a couple bucks because they might come in handy for display at some point They look like they could be baseball caps and most people wouldn't know the difference. Regardless this one has a nice look.

How do you tell the difference? I don't see these types of caps often enough to know the difference. It does look an awful lot like the hat that Flounder wore in Animal House.

Big button, too short a bill. color sceam.

yes those that Mike said plus..

- All felt like material in construction
    - No air holes on top
    - skull cap shape

Hard to tell exactly but it does look like all felt like material (is it Dan?) which is typical of these class beanies - not durable enough to stand up to an athletic use. Turn of the century caps were usually wool or a blend, much like the same material as the jerseys and pants.

Yep, it's all a felt-like material....nothing solid inside the brim either. I hadn't even noticed that their were no "airholes" in the cap. Oh well live and learn - I paid $20 for it so it's not like a killer mistake, but I've done so well over the last week I can't complain....plus it still looks nice in a vintage display.

Quote Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
    Yep, it's all a felt-like material....nothing solid inside the brim either. I hadn't even noticed that their were no "airholes" in the cap. Oh well live and learn - I paid $20 for it so it's not like a killer mistake, but I've done so well over the last week I can't complain....plus it still looks nice in a vintage display.

I sold one a couple months ago for $40 because it had a neat look. The person knew it was a fraternity cap but just liked to eye appeal. Still neat caps.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !