Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: Santo finally makes the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Is this going to become a debate about life after death?
    I hope not.
    I just think that if he deserved to be in that he should have gotten in while he was alive and could have enjoyed it.
    What purpose does it serve now except to make a few die hard Cubbie fans all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I think people take the Hall of Fame's qualifications too seriously. Basically, they need to add players to continue to make it interesting... It'd be nice to walk into a gallery with 30 plaques limited to the true legends of the game, frankly, it'd be kind of boring. Who's going to make that pilgrimage with their family more than once either? "Look, there's Babe Ruth's plaque... again."
    See. This guy gets it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I hope not.
    I just think that if he deserved to be in that he should have gotten in while he was alive and could have enjoyed it.
    What purpose does it serve now except to make a few die hard Cubbie fans all warm and fuzzy inside.
    Yes, it is a shame they waited until he passed to elect him.

I posted this before and I'll post it again - I got to spend the past few years working with Ron Santo at various autograph appearances and before I met him I didn't think he qualified to be in the Hall of Fame.

After seeing him with the public who adored him, I realized he belonged in the Hall of Fame, not solely based on his career on the playing field but also for his contributions off the field after he retired.

Ernie Bank and Ryne Sandberg may have been career Chicago Cubs, but Ron Santo lived and died a Chicago Cubs fan and dedicated his life to that organization, their fans and the sport of baseball.

A true class individual who deserved to enjoy being elected to The Hall of Fame but in the end only his fans and family will be able to enjoy his well deserved enrichment.

Banned

Banned

Wink Re: Santo finally makes the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Danny899 View Post
    Dave, Is that your house out there in the left field foul ground?
    No, but I wish it was.

The small house in the center of the three buildings was rebuilt in the early 2000s. The light colored structure at the right edge of the photo has long been referred to by the Ballhawks as the "yellow apartment building". It's the building that Glenallen Hill launched a game home run caught by a fan at a rooftop party there during Hill's second go-round with the Cubs. Windows on the building have been broken more than once by game home run blasts.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Cool Re: Santo finally makes the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post

Only 2 years late. I'm sure Dave M. is happy.

You're right, Warren.

Anyway, I rarely quote pictures in my responses (a pet peeve I know irritates many of you), but I made this exception for reference purposes.

Notice the short, solid wall separating the park from the street. Back in those days the area between the park's outisde wall and the outfield wall was a catwalk entrance to the bleachers. Some of the Wrigley ballhawks of the era would buy bleacher tickets (much cheaper and less in demand than today) and would stand next to the guard at the top of the ramp. When a home run landed on either catwalk (left or right field), the ballhawk, if he was lucky and had an "in" with the guard, would have the guard lift the restraint rope so he could run down and grab the home run.

Also...the high chain link fence behind that solid wall behind the catwalk appeared suddenly and without warning during an early 60s road trip (this photo is before the high fence was added). The existing 2-3 foot high fence was extended during the season to 10 or so feet high, apparently the response to the landady of the yellow apartment building after having a building window busted by a home run ball. Most of this information came from 50+ year Ballhawk Rich Buhrke, who was in school during that era.

Dave Miedema