Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that grass stains on a ball tend to darken to look like dirt over time regardless of storage. I got one of the last-ever spring-training balls from Vero Beach before the Dodgers left there after more than 60 years. Apparently the grass stain turned dark despite despite its being stored in a totally dark environment.

So this might be considered in guessing the history of a g-u ball.
While I haven't taken and compared pictures to document this with certainty on stains, I believe to have observed this to some extent within even less than a year.

The other thing is... game balls that actually get grass embedded into the seems are most attractive while the grass is fresh IMHO. Then, I've been conscientious as the grass decays to move the ball minimally so as not to cause that decaying grass to shake out.

I'm curious what other things people who have collected longer than me have to contribute specific to GU balls. Since the balls were not "white" after being mudded then played with I don't suspect that indirect light is a concern of anyone, but I'm curious the thoughts of others.