Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birdbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

I'm disappointed Pujols will not be on the Cardinals in 2012, 2013 and 2014. On the other hand, I'm relieved we won't be paying him $20-25M a year from 2015-21. I do appreciate everything he did for the Cardinals, and I respect that he never held out to renegotiate the contract he signed in 2004. In hindsight, he was a bargain... but you have to remember how groundbreaking it was for a fourth-year player to sign a 7-year, $100M contract. A smarter agent might have negotiated a 4-5 year contract so that Pujols would be younger when hitting the open market (can you imagine the contract he could have demanded after consecutive MVP seasons in 2008-09?). But, who knew then that he'd be ALBERT PUJOLS? That's ancient history. Bottom line, he was great in St. Louis and now he's in LA. That's his prerogative. The Cardinals were winners before Albert and they'll be winners again. I'm excited to see where the team goes from here.
    Jeff Scott
    birdbats@charter.net
    http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• shoremen44
      • Jul 2007

Jeff... Very well said
      Bert
      ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Birdbats
        Bottom line, he was great in St. Louis and now he's in LA.
        The Angels DO NOT play in Los Angeles. Very well said, however. It would be great if St. Louis won it all next season.

Comment

• Birdbats
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
          The Angels DO NOT play in Los Angeles.
          I meant to say the Los Angeles Orange County California Angels of Anaheim. Sorry.

Here's what's important about LA -- Albert's agent is based in LA and people close to Albert told me long ago that his agent wanted Albert in LA. More marketing and "branding" opportunities there than in STL. Could see it starting a few months ago when Pujols' new logo and Kobe-influenced website were unveiled. I truly believe if Albert's agent was anyone other than Dan Lozano that he would have re-signed with STL long ago.
          Jeff Scott
          birdbats@charter.net
          http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
            • Aug 2007

I was hoping somebody would say it. Kinsler/hamilton/young/napoli/beltre/cruz. The rangers will be fine. CJ wilson was a drain on the clubhouse so it will be good having him gone. As far as who posted the rangers record against the west, you have to look at the fact that the west also had some of the best pitching in baseball. John Daniels is one of the best GM's in baseball, and I think he will come with something to make the team better.
            Originally posted by legaleagle92481
            See 2011 Boston Red Sox
            2011 Philadelphia Eagles

Most of the time the big money spending sprees go bust. Compare Rangers and Angels rosters. Top to bottom Texas has them beat still. Wilson is highly overrated and Albert won't have much help in the lineup.
            Baseball do what it do
            -Ron Washington

Comment

• kudu
              • May 2007

LA/Anaheim has a very large hispanic community. The revenue Pujols will generate for the Angels and MLB will be HUGE. I think the Angels got a bargain.

Comment

• Rob L
                • Nov 2005

Ahh, greatest day in a long, long time. Last time I was this geeked was when the Angels pulled Vladdy out of nowhere.
                Rob L
                loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• Rboitano
                  • Nov 2005

I bet scioscia will love to see Pujols not hustle out of the batters box like his lazy ass did here. He said god would show him where to go, I guess that meant where the most money was.

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Rboitano
                    I bet scioscia will love to see Pujols not hustle out of the batters box like his lazy ass did here. He said god would show him where to go, I guess that meant where the most money was.
                    Again, Miami offered Pujols more money than LAA.

Comment

• 70to66
                      • Sep 2007

I agree with what Jeff said (birdbats) when he signed the previous contract it was good at the time, and nobody forced him to sign it. I wish him the best, but think the Cardinals got the best years of his career. I don't think he will last ten years and be productive.

Comment

• Rob L
                        • Nov 2005

I think the deciding factor wasn't the money (Miami's offer was much higher, allegedly), it was the no-trade clause.
                        Rob L
                        loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by freddiefreeman5
                          I would say the DH had something to do with his choice also.

DD
                          Bingo!!!!
                          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• AstrosGU
                            Banned
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by cliffjmp33
                            Fair enough, I feel good for all the Brewers, Astros, Pirates and Cobs fans!
                            Don't feel good for the Astros! Just keeps getting worse for us.

First MLB forces us to move to the AL West, then the cherry on top is Pujols is headed to the AL West as well.

Comment

• frikativ54
                              • Dec 2007

Post of the day on facebook from the St. Louis Cards Rally Squirrel account: "Sorry, I got hit by the solid gold car that Pujols just bought as he sped out of town heading out to LA."
                              Les Zukor
                              bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                              Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                              (617) 682-0408

Comment

• frikativ54
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                                No sympathy for the Waveland crowd here, though...the game last home run ball that Pujols hit onto the street was recently seen for sale on eBay at $9,500 OBO...the seller, and a fellow ballhawk, paid $100 for it and ripped some poor guy off terribly. When stuff like that is eliminated, the hobby as a whole is better for it.
                                These guys are what's truly wrong with the hobby. I hate when people rip off unsuspecting collectors. Some of these "ballhawks" sound a bit like sociopaths. Have they no empathy for the guy who caught the ball?

Pujols may be on top of the world because of his signing. But he's going to need to prove that he can hit outside of the Cards' lineup and in a new league. I'll bet he's up to the task, but how many fans treat you as well as your first city?
                                Les Zukor
                                bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                                Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                                (617) 682-0408

Comment

Working...