Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

Quote Originally Posted by cliffjmp33 View Post
    Fair enough, I feel good for all the Brewers, Astros, Pirates and Cobs fans!
    Ah, but you can only feel good for the Astros for 2012! After that, they are right back to facing Pujols, and actually more times than before as the division will have 5 teams instead of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    One of the qualities I admire most in athletes is team loyalty. You play the game for the fans; they are the ones who truly pay your salary. It's really sad that few pro athletes play their entire career for one team anymore.

That's why I admire people like Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. They wanted to win in Houston and could have left and gotten more money elsewhere. But they loved their town and their team and wouldn't do that to the fans.
    I respectively disagree for 2 reasons.

1) After any major baseball strike, when they didn't play for awhile and fans stayed away in droves when baseball returned, did contracts drop? No, they did not.

2) I'm disappointed by Pujols signing with another team as well but we as fans need to get over our self indulgence. Players play for themselves, for a title, for their family, for god and for money. Fans are just people who pay for the pleasure of seeing them play for those reasons. PR directors have taught these spoiled monkeys to say they care for the fans but you would be hard pressed in today's sports world to find too many who really believe that anymore. Of course that is my opinion, backed up by the fact I can name hundreds of all stars who left for the money but less than 10 players who stayed on one team in any sport and didn't take the money and run.

It also disturbs me that many of the people who hate their players leaving for money are guilty of it in their own lives. Know anyone who left their job for a higher paying one or a promotion to a better company? I have personally, so what is the difference? The fact it's millions of dollars versus thousands of dollars for a needy family is the reply I always get to this argument but to use that as an excuse is mere semantics. I can't be mad at someone doing what I do just because I will miss their talent on a team I root for.

I don't know enough about Biggio and Bagwell to comment with any authority but taking what you said at face value, they are the exception not the rule. Much like Cal Ripken, a first ballot HOF who spent hours signing autographs for fans at every game, I'd rather praise him for what he did that ping others for not doing it.

It's obvious the disconnect between fans and their heroes just continues to grow.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Players play for themselves, for a title, for their family, for god and for money.
    This is in no particular order, right?

Banned

Talking Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

I''m figuring that there are going to be some Ballhawks in mourning here in Chi-Town over this signing. Pujols, far more often than not, unloaded on the street during BP, and, the shagger-unfriendly 2011 season notwithstanding, was generally good for a couple of game home runs a year. Now he'll be on a team that will be going to the Cell for one, maybe 2 series a year, in a park that doesn't present the advantages of freedom of movement and limited competiton that Waveland Avenue offers. No sympathy for the Waveland crowd here, though...the game last home run ball that Pujols hit onto the street was recently seen for sale on eBay at $9,500 OBO...the seller, and a fellow ballhawk, paid $100 for it and ripped some poor guy off terribly. When stuff like that is eliminated, the hobby as a whole is better for it.

Dave Miedema

Hey Dave,

I have 4 season seats for the Angels if you need another outlet to do your BP ballhawking for him, just let me know.

Ben

Banned

I would say the DH had something to do with his choice also.

DD

The DH idea is something really to consider, after all the Miami Marlins did offer Pujols the most money.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Really? Wow, I guess the Rangers being back to back AL Champs was only because the AL West was weak... they didn't beat the teams from other divisions as well in route to those titles.

Time will tell...
    In 2011
    Rangers were 40-17 vs AL West

56-49 vs everyone else

Originally Posted by frikativ54
    That's why I admire people like Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. They wanted to win in Houston and could have left and gotten more money elsewhere. But they loved their town and their team and wouldn't do that to the fans.
    frikativ: How do you know this? Have they personally told you this?
    Have you perhaps considered they stayed for themselves? Some players
    care more about their legacy than money, some don't want to move
    their families, some are just comfortable staying where they are. Others may
    see future job opportunities after their playing days are over if they stick
    with one team. Others might benefit by getting more endorsements.
    Do you think Ripken would have been able to start his memorabilia
    company had he changed teams during his consecutive games run
    and other milestones? He is one of many, including MY favorite player Jeter,
    who has benefited from staying with one team...You can interpret this
    as loyalty to the fans but I am not so naive... however I still enjoy
    watching the baseball and I don't mind spending my hard earned dollars on
    going to a ballgame and having a good time.

It also disturbs me that many of the people who hate their players leaving for money are guilty of it in their own lives. Know anyone who left their job for a higher paying one or a promotion to a better company? I have personally, so what is the difference? The fact it's millions of dollars versus thousands of dollars for a needy family is the reply I always get to this argument but to use that as an excuse is mere semantics. I can't be mad at someone doing what I do just because I will miss their talent on a team I root for.
    Thanks Gingi for stating this.

Fans always act like these players should play for less than their value because
    they make millions and if it weren't for the fans..blah blah blah

As Andrew noted Pujols has been one of the most underpaid players for
    years. Good for him for getting his worth and in my opinion, and then
    some to make up for those underpaid years!

And for those always complaining about the plight of their small market
    teams...be thankful for revenue sharing or else there probably wouldn't
    even be a team in your small market city. In my opinion MLB is watered down
    with all these teams and would be better off without some of these teams anyways...
    Pujols Angels products selling out means money for everyone!

I just hope the Cards fans appreciate Pujols for what he did.
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    Its gonna take some astronomical good luck on the rest of the AL West and some horrible luck on the Angels for them to not walk away with the division for at least the next 2-3 years
    See 2011 Boston Red Sox
    2011 Philadelphia Eagles

Most of the time the big money spending sprees go bust. Compare Rangers and Angels rosters. Top to bottom Texas has them beat still. Wilson is highly overrated and Albert won't have much help in the lineup.